Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my local ranges got a 5.25 in from Springfield, so I swung by there at lunchtime and ran a few mags through it. I have not shot an XD(M) before, but own a few XDs. Here are my thoughts:

1) Balances well, feels good in the hand and points nicely.
2) Sights are fine. I like adjustable rear sights so that I can tune them to my loads, and the fiber front sight works well.
3) Trigger is about the same as my stock XD Tacticals. I was a bit disappointed in that, but was expecting it based on the info I have read here so far.
4) It is HOT here today, and I was sweating. The XD(M) grip seems to me to be a bit less "grippy" with wet hands than my standard XDs. Not a strike against the 5.25 specifically, just mentioning it.
5) Can't argue with 19+1 capacity.

So how did it shoot? Very well. I put 100 rounds of WalMart Winchester White Box 9mm through it. Zero malfunctions, and hit where I pointed it. I like it, and I think I will have to add one to the collection when they are released later this year. I'll probably send it to Springer first thing for some trigger work, other than that it's just fine as-is out of the box.

In case anyone is in the Nashville area and wants to try it out, the shop is Academy of Self Protection, in Joelton TN. Indoor pistol range, decent selection of guns and good guys working there. They are listed on Springfield's website of 5.25 ranges.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Thanks for the report, sounds like a good way to spend the lunch hour.

·
Registered
224 Posts
thanks for the update.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for posting. I'm excited about this gun, although I doubt I'll be getting one. I need another 9mm like I need another hole in my head.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the information. I wish they had a range near me that was renting the 5.25 - I'd like to try it out too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've shot mine a bunch now, but I only sound like an advertisement for the 5.25 when I talk about it. Here's why. Shot 5 shot group at 50 yards measured 3.5 inches. That was with Montana Gold 147 flat point FMJ's. This is the best shooting bullet I have found for all XD/XDm factory barrels. Shot Bullseye Rapid fire string, scored a 96-6x. shot 40 rounds standing at Bianchi Cup target only 4 rounds out of 4" xring. My gun has these changes:

SA Custom Shop trigger job, 3 lbs measured with NRA trigger weights.

Grip textured by Marty at Accuracy Speaks Gunsmithing.

.100 wide Dawson Precision FO front sight. 4 ounce tungsten spring guide from Canyon Creek Custom.

More to come. And also I'm starting a project gun with only widely available after market parts. Will update as it progresses.

Rob

·
Registered
232 Posts
Cool Rob. If it's really you, I hope you find time to check in now and then with us on these XD forums.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Welcome to the board Rob, and thank you for your info. I like the pistol, and will be picking one up. Just wish it had a competition trigger out-of-the-box. But I do understand folks that say that the trigger is so much individual preference that it should be left up to the individual to tune it.

For what it's worth, I am not an expert handgunner by any means. I'm just a collector and hobbyist shooter. More into rifles and carbines than pistols. But I appreciate well designed, good shooting handguns, and I think you have a winner here for competition shooters AND guys like me.

Thanks,
James

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
wow, and thanks xdtalk for having it stare at me when i go to the site and also the pdf file. wonder if they will take my 9 in on trade...no!, think i'll just hand it down to my son! Great looking gun and it might put me back on the line again..."shooter ready..." Great News! what a time to go the the 'M' model now.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Hickok45 has a video review of this gun on youtube.
video runs good, esp stepping it up to 720p, but the boy should have broke that trigger or laid it down w/the slide locked back...just saying and just being an AH. no, really, thanks for the youtube vid! got my Christmas Sears 'wish book' opened now!

·
Registered
50 Posts
but the boy should have broke that trigger or laid it down w/the slide locked back...
Come on - Geeeeeeeez... guy went through the trouble to make that video for all of us and then you have to rain on the parade!!! People can't we be a little more tolerant of others???

BTW, these pistols are not cheap about a hundred more than a G34 (retail will be anywhere from $650 to $690) saw one on GB for $689, but if you factor in the better sights and match grade barrel, etc, etc - just wish the trigger was a tad better out of the box. However, it is joining a limited group (competition shooters) that is already populated by others M&P PRO and G34, not sure how this will fare in the price range it is at.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I sprung for one: at first glance-

As you all know - match grade specs, very, very nice feels like a 3lb trigger, three back straps, ambi mag release, about 24 ounces, 3 - 19+1 mags, Fiber red front sight, adjustable rear - Very balanced, will head to the range ASAP and report back.

Very nice alternative to the old G34

If it shoots as good as it feels and looks it's a winner

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hickok45 is very safety conscious, try actually watching some of his videos. You are not afraid he might accidentally shoot you through the camera, are you?;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
That is some impressive shooting for someone who only had the gun in their hands for an hour or so. Guess it speaks of a good piece in the hands of a good shooter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've shot mine a bunch now, but I only sound like an advertisement for the 5.25 when I talk about it. Here's why. Shot 5 shot group at 50 yards measured 3.5 inches. That was with Montana Gold 147 flat point FMJ's. This is the best shooting bullet I have found for all XD/XDm factory barrels. Shot Bullseye Rapid fire string, scored a 96-6x. shot 40 rounds standing at Bianchi Cup target only 4 rounds out of 4" xring. My gun has these changes:

SA Custom Shop trigger job, 3 lbs measured with NRA trigger weights.

Grip textured by Marty at Accuracy Speaks Gunsmithing.

.100 wide Dawson Precision FO front sight. 4 ounce tungsten spring guide from Canyon Creek Custom.

More to come. And also I'm starting a project gun with only widely available after market parts. Will update as it progresses.

Rob
"Shot 5 shot group at 50 yards measured 3.5 inches"
that is great !!!
If they come out with a 45 I will get 2 of them !!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts