Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had gotten out of the 9 business, but decided to get back in to have a training gun to use after starting someone out with the Ruger 22/45 .22, and also to have a more cost effective shooter since .22LR is currently difficult to get. Really just needed an excuse to buy another gun. My list of possibles was XDM 9 compact, M & P 9, FNH FNS-9, and Sig P320. As much as I love my XDMs and XDS, I decided I wanted something different in the collection, and after much mental back and forth, went with the FNS. I put 200 rounds through it yesterday and here are my thoughts. My buddy was present with his XDM 9 compact, so we got to do some direct comparisons. The FNS shot to point of aim and shot a very good group, but the group with the XDM was maybe a little tighter. The trigger is good, but not as good as the XDM. The pull felt a little heavier, but was still smooth enough and the reset felt comparable to the XDM. The grip of the XDM made it more comfortable to shoot than the FNS. I don't regret the purchase, but as you can tell, I think the XDM is a better gun. Maybe the FN will smooth out a little with some rounds through it, but my experience has been that the XDMs are good right out of the box.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
FNS is a sweet gun.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've been throwing around picking up one of these. I want something IWB concealable though, not sure if the FNS is that size or not. It's about the size of a glock 19, right?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've been throwing around picking up one of these. I want something IWB concealable though, not sure if the FNS is that size or not. It's about the size of a glock 19, right?
It's a full size gun more like a G17. I've had one since last September and it's been a very good performer. The FNS-9 is a solid gun with nothing exceptionally remarkable and lacking any conspicuous faults. The trigger action will smooth with use and feels slightly better than my Glock- even with a 3.5lb connector installed. The mag release, slide stop and optional safety controls are ambidextrous and it shipped with three 17rd mags.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I too have been recently considering buying an FNS 9 in the near future. Glad to see it worked well for you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I think that is where the XDM 3.8 compact shines with the short grip and mag and the extended mag, best of both worlds. I have the .40 XDM compact, one of the best shooters I have.

·
Registered
6,885 Posts
I had an FNS-9 and regretted selling it. But in the end I ended up with 2 HK's and a Sig. I would gladly buy another if I had the money and the price was right.

FWIW, my former FNP's double action was the lightest and smoothest I had ever shot and I was fully capable of laser-beam shots in double action. I suck shooting double action 85% of the time.

It was rock solid, reliable, never failed in almost 1k rounds and was my EDC for a long time. They are high quality guns. FN also made my M-16 I humped around the sandbox and they made my M249, so I had immense faith in the gun.

Should have hung on to it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts