Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 357 Sig OD Green I trade on a AR15, however I had a few questions.

First, where can I get cheap plinking ammo? Any chains that carry it? I checked out wally world and they didn't have any 357sig, but also didn't have the 100 value pack 9mm, so they may have just been out.

Also, I got the OD green but is there any way to conver to black? Treatment/coloring that anyone does?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your best bet at least that I have found is pmc from sportsmanguide.com join the club if you plan on shooting alot you save 10%.... Wally world in Mi does not carry the sig ammo yet Gander Mountain has it Price is high unless you catch it on sale

As far as changing colors some one on this forum will have a answer.. I unfortunatly can not help I learn most of what I know reading the posts
ajames, nedxd, Old school, and many more know what they are talking about

Sorry to those I did not mention to many to list...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another question I had was weather or not there are any kits (barrels, etc) to change caliber from .357SIG to 9mm/40?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
133 Posts
doofoo said:
Another question I had was weather or not there are any kits (barrels, etc) to change caliber from .357SIG to 9mm/40?

Thanks,
Mike
Welcome Doofoo!

Your best bet would be to do a search on a lot of your q's. You may get some answers by a post, I'd bet you a nickel that any question you have has been covered!

BTW... Check out Pistol Gear's forum on the home page. You can get a new barrel for your357 sig there!

J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arkansas said:
doofoo said:

Thanks,
Mike
Welcome Doofoo!

Your best bet would be to do a search on a lot of your q's. You may get some answers by a post, I'd bet you a nickel that any question you have has been covered!

BTW... Check out Pistol Gear's forum on the home page. You can get a new barrel for your357 sig there!

J
Thanks for the welcome, and the info on the barrels. However I can't find anything on color change. :( Anyone have any info on that?

-Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes conversions barells are available for .40 and 9mm.

Cheap ammo, I have to order online for the cheapest. WalMart will not have it. Larger sporting goods stores may have some. I use www.ammoman.com for new stuff ($10-11/box.) For reloads, a few have tried georgia arms. Their ammo is ~$8.50 a box when you buy 1000rds.

Changing color, I don't know of a good durable way. I'm sure its out there though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mike,

This would be a good opportunity for you to take up reloading, as you can reload 357 Sig for just a few pennies each. I've got over 10,000 rounds loaded right now.

As for the color, I've got two black XD's and one Olive Drab. I would wait awhile before attempting to change the color, which can probably only be done with some type of paint. The OD kind of grows on you. I was kind of put off by mine at first, but now I find I like it. My wife has even been eyeing my OD SC, and hinting she might want to trade me her black SC for it, but I think I'll just keep it myself. She can shoot it anytime she wants, though.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ReloaderFred said:
Mike,

This would be a good opportunity for you to take up reloading, as you can reload 357 Sig for just a few pennies each. I've got over 10,000 rounds loaded right now.

As for the color, I've got two black XD's and one Olive Drab. I would wait awhile before attempting to change the color, which can probably only be done with some type of paint. The OD kind of grows on you. I was kind of put off by mine at first, but now I find I like it. My wife has even been eyeing my OD SC, and hinting she might want to trade me her black SC for it, but I think I'll just keep it myself. She can shoot it anytime she wants, though.

Hope this helps.

Fred
I would be interested in reloading, but I can not find a definitive source for reloading info from beginner on. Any resources you can recommend? Also, I was not planning on changing colors right away, I just wanted to know what my options were.

I got the .357 sig because I heard they were fun to shoot, nice muzzle flash, etc. I still have my G26 which I will be carrying daily, but the size of the 357 isn't that big, so I may end up carrying that IWB as well.

Thanks for your help so far. I still haven't gotten it in my hands as Maryland has a 7 day wait, so I'll have it Wed next week.

-Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Old School said:
You can GunKote the slide black, or any color for that matter, that you want. You can talk with Rich at Canyon Creek or Brad at CCR. Both guys can give you the options.

As for information regarding conversion barrels, this may help: http://pistol-gear.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=28
The slide is actually already black, it's the frame that is OD Green. Thanks for the info on the barrels :)

-Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
The NRA has a basic Metallic Reloading course that is great for beginners. You can also read various reloading manuals, all of which have very good information in the front sections. If you know someone who reloads, and is a dependable sort of person, then you might be able to get some pointers from them. There are also several reloading forums, but you kind of have to watch what some of the armchair commandos tell you to do.

Hope this helps.

Fred

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hi DooFoo;
I have not tryed it on and xd frame but i refinish plastic parts for aircraft that look and feel like the frames with vinel dye which i buy at a auto paint store. it comes in several colors and once applied is next to impossable to get off.
the piece mag. extentions are the same as the frame. you could buy one from AJames and use it to test different finishes before you do your gun.
just my .02
Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts