Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently reviewing my ammo inventory (with satisfaction, mind you) and got around to thinking about how long (and how much money) it's taken me to get where I am, from a prepping perspective. I had a few thoughts for anyone who might just now be getting into it, or maybe put off getting into to it for whatever reason. Forgive my rambling ;)...here goes:

The past 6 years or so has been pretty busy for me. I got into reloading, refined my survival hardware, and actually began practicing survival techniques during the occasional camping trip. Obviously, I wasn't alone, and it got increasingly difficult, not to mention expensive, to build this new hobby of mine. I always envied those old guys (and gals) who bought their stuff years before and didn't have to worry about finding a single box of .22LR or .45Auto left on the store shelves for inflated prices. It was stressful, really. Fun too, but stressful.

So, for those just getting started, now is probably the best time to stock up firearms, ammo, and survival gear, as well as putting that gear into practice so that you know how to use it when the time comes. Why?

1. Prices on firearms and ammo are at the "lowest" they've been in quite a few years. They will never go back to good ol' days prices, of course, especially ammo.
2. Availability on the above items is the best it's been in nearly a decade.
3. The market on firearm products (particularly in the AR realm) has bloomed, resulting in an amazing array of choices.
4. Information on survival subjects has never been more available (online info, live courses, firearm training, etc.).
5. Survival gear is everywhere, and with a somewhat soft market, prices are improving.

...but also...
6. The current Presidency is weird and unpredictable, to say the least. One could be forgiven for thinking that Trump may not even complete a single term.
7. The political pendulum will inevitably swing the other way; I don't plan on getting caught out again.
8. What the heck's up with North Korea?

Anywayz, those are my late evening thoughts. I plan on continuing to buy guns/ammo/gear whenever I can (staying within reasonable budget, of course). What do y'all think about it?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
even in the shortage times, I was smart enough to not spend anything crazy on any ammo..... never more than about $0.07 / round for cheap plinking .22 / about .23 a round for practice 9mm / .27 for .40 and only maybe about .37 / round for .223/5.56 rounds. (Again, cheap, bulk or range ammo, I would spend a good deal more on quality defensive ammo, but never anything crazy there either). I think at one time I rushed and bought a "battle pack" of PMC 5.56 "green tip".... but wasn't incredibly stupid.

Now, there is plenty for range trips with any of the firearms, and especially .22 has been well stocked, so should take quite a very long time to run through that supply. As you say, get it now while you can and it's not stupid expensive!!

Reactions: LivingUpNorth

·
Registered
19,687 Posts
I haven't purchase 22lr since it was $.03/per.

Ask yourself what are your plans for your massive hordes of ammo? My primary purposes for guns are mainly hunting with a small side of self defense. I don't blast away for the fun of it. Not a fan of loud noises in general.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I was recently reviewing my ammo inventory (with satisfaction, mind you) and got around to thinking about how long (and how much money) it's taken me to get where I am, from a prepping perspective. I had a few thoughts for anyone who might just now be getting into it, or maybe put off getting into to it for whatever reason. Forgive my rambling ;)...here goes:

The past 6 years or so has been pretty busy for me. I got into reloading, refined my survival hardware, and actually began practicing survival techniques during the occasional camping trip. Obviously, I wasn't alone, and it got increasingly difficult, not to mention expensive, to build this new hobby of mine. I always envied those old guys (and gals) who bought their stuff years before and didn't have to worry about finding a single box of .22LR or .45Auto left on the store shelves for inflated prices. It was stressful, really. Fun too, but stressful.

So, for those just getting started, now is probably the best time to stock up firearms, ammo, and survival gear, as well as putting that gear into practice so that you know how to use it when the time comes. Why?

1. Prices on firearms and ammo are at the "lowest" they've been in quite a few years. They will never go back to good ol' days prices, of course, especially ammo.
2. Availability on the above items is the best it's been in nearly a decade.
3. The market on firearm products (particularly in the AR realm) has bloomed, resulting in an amazing array of choices.
4. Information on survival subjects has never been more available (online info, live courses, firearm training, etc.).
5. Survival gear is everywhere, and with a somewhat soft market, prices are improving.

...but also...
6. The current Presidency is weird and unpredictable, to say the least. One could be forgiven for thinking that Trump may not even complete a single term.
7. The political pendulum will inevitably swing the other way; I don't plan on getting caught out again.
8. What the heck's up with North Korea?

Anywayz, those are my late evening thoughts. I plan on continuing to buy guns/ammo/gear whenever I can (staying within reasonable budget, of course). What do y'all think about it?
7. Is spot on. You can bet that when this happens they are gonna make it hell to pay. The day will come. It will be chaos. Lol. Really though.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Ask yourself what are your plans for your massive hordes of ammo?
This is crucial.

Make a realistic plan.

Unless your funding is unlimited, don't buy just to buy. Understand why you are buying as well as what you're buying.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Good for you livingupnorth.

I agree with your points.

My Daddy always told me:

There will be a time where there are 2 types of people.

The ones that have.

And the ones that have not.

Which do you want to be in?

Reactions: LivingUpNorth

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I've already reached my on-hand goals. Now I just buy to replace what I shoot at the range. Same with food and water, it's replaced as I use it. I don't want to get caught in another so called ammo shortage like what started right after Sandy Hook. It's a very precarious situation and it won't take much to cause another round. Those who don't remember how it was and don't prepare now, are destined to relive it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ask yourself what are your plans for your massive hordes of ammo?
Good question. This would definitely give direction for anyone looking to stock up appropriate levels. For me, I do enjoy plinking just for the fun of it. It's not unusual to burn through 100-200 rounds of any particular caliber (semi-auto) and 50-100 rounds of revolver ammo in a single session. That's one of the major reasons I got into reloading. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Very good post, and at a good time in the market cycle. I really like shooting my .22 rile, so I went a little nutty buying .22 ammo a few years back. Now that it's going for .05 a round again, I'm going to buy some to beef up my stash. I'm of the 'Bug In" mindset, not such a big fan of the "Bug Out" idea for my particular situation (I live in a big city, so bugging out would probably get me and my loved ones killed. I have an exit plan if I need to leave, but I would really hate to have to do that) I'm comfortable with my long term stash of goods.

I've seen some good ARs going for under $400, if you you've wanted one of those, this is a heck of a good time to pick one up.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen some good ARs going for under $400, if you you've wanted one of those, this is a heck of a good time to pick one up.
Absolutely! Although I don't really want an AR as much as other guns on my wish list, the current prices are almost too good to pass up. I was *this close* to buying a PSA complete rifle kit (I already have a stripped lower) for $359 last weekend, but the financial timing isn't quite right.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Absolutely! Although I don't really want an AR as much as other guns on my wish list, the current prices are almost too good to pass up. I was *this close* to buying a PSA complete rifle kit (I already have a stripped lower) for $359 last weekend, but the financial timing isn't quite right.
That is about where I was. Always thought I would like to have an AR because I carried one In the Army and it might be pretty useful in a fan and excrement scenario. But I really couldn't justify $1000+ for a rifle that would probably just be used for plinking and casual target shooting. When I saw a Savage MSR Patrol for sale at Bud's for $469 I finally had to drop the hammer on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts