Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I have not shot seriously since I got out of the Army some 30 years ago. I just purchased an XDe to get back into the shooting at my local range. I am very excited to be picking up my gun tomorrow. I was wondering if any of you XDe owners out there have any words of wisdom for me regarding a good break-in schedule for the gun.

I'm going to bring the gun home and go over it real good and get to know it a little and give it a cleaning and lube. I will head out to the range later in the week. Any tips on first ammo to feed it or firing cycles suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Welcome to the forums and thank you for your service! I don't have an XDE so I can't offer anything specific, but it sounds like you'll be heading down the right path.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I recently purchased an XDE. I’ve really enjoyed it and my IWB holster just came in today. I’d recommend a lot of dry fire practice with the DA trigger before you go to the range. I believe that has help me quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
My only advice is to take classes. Makes it more fun and improves your shooting. Congrats on the XDE.

·
Premium Member
127,718 Posts
Welcome from Ohio!

Reactions: Capt.Jack

·
Registered
283 Posts
Somewhat similar story. I never stopped shooting, but not regularly. Kept the hobbies light while raising the family and doing the career thing. Now kids are on their own and I’m back into it. The XDe was the first hand gun I bought in a couple of decades. Great fun. Great gun. Sledgehammer.

I struggled with it at first, needed to build up grip strength and get the controls down.

Not one failure of any kind with a variety of ammo.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Somewhat similar story. I never stopped shooting, but not regularly. Kept the hobbies light while raising the family and doing the career thing. Now kids are on their own and I’m back into it. The XDe was the first hand gun I bought in a couple of decades. Great fun. Great gun. Sledgehammer.

I struggled with it at first, needed to build up grip strength and get the controls down.

Not one failure of any kind with a variety of ammo.

Enjoy!
Thanks, MisterCrabby. Yes our kids are on their own now too. Planning for enjoyable times at the range and working on my shot groups!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, and to owning a XDE.

I’ve been shooting for years - starting with a Walther P-38 purchased through the Berlin Rod and Gun Club in 1975 - and recently bought two XDEs - my first Springfield Armory guns. I was pleased by how well designed and built they are.

Some shooters prefer striker fired guns, but many of us have the XDE because we value a hammer fired pistol. My opinion is that the hammer fired DA/SA pistol gives me improved practical safety and enhanced trigger control, although it is hard to refute that a striker fired pistol is faster with the first shot, is a bit easier to learn because all trigger pills are the same, and is the preferred pistol for most ‘tactical’ forms of shooting competition.

I think the XDE will work with almost any ammo you feed it. Of course, after you select your preferred self defense JHP ammo, you should run a bunch of that through the gun to make sure it functions well. But for range work, almost any FMJ bullets will do. (I steer clear of steel jacketed Russian ammo, but opinions vary, so read up on what people say in the forums before deciding if you want to use it).

I like the suggestion of getting some training from a qualified instructor. That and a bunch of ammo and some range time will make for a great start. The XDE is a nice shooting little gun and a great weapon to start with.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Might take some time to adjust to recoil, and build up endurance. I had a few months off from shooting once, and I was way more sensitive to recoil when I came back. I fatigued easily and could not shoot accurately especially with pistols.

I'd start slow with guns that I can shoot easily with first to be safe, and go up to different firearms. Make sure to be safe with all firearm safety rules at all times!

·
Registered
949 Posts
Some shooters prefer striker fired guns, but many of us have the XDE because we value a hammer fired pistol. My opinion is that the hammer fired DA/SA pistol gives me improved practical safety and enhanced trigger control, although it is hard to refute that a striker fired pistol is faster with the first shot, is a bit easier to learn because all trigger pills are the same, and is the preferred pistol for most ‘tactical’ forms of shooting competition.
First off, I've got no dog in the XDe, All my XD's are striker guns. That said, I won't argue the practical safety of the long DA trigger. Since I really started shooting DA/SA very recently (Beretta M9), and tinkering with said gun, I've been watching a heap of Ernie Langdon's videos. With training and practice, the DA trigger can actually be the fastest trigger on target out of the holster.

Hi All.

I have not shot seriously since I got out of the Army some 30 years ago. I just purchased an XDe to get back into the shooting at my local range. I am very excited to be picking up my gun tomorrow. I was wondering if any of you XDe owners out there have any words of wisdom for me regarding a good break-in schedule for the gun.

I'm going to bring the gun home and go over it real good and get to know it a little and give it a cleaning and lube. I will head out to the range later in the week. Any tips on first ammo to feed it or firing cycles suggestions would be welcome.
Welcome back to the shooting world, and the XD! XD's are quality pistols. A couple hundred rounds of decent quality FMJ ammo, followed by about 50 rounds of whatever JHP you might choose for defensive purposes, pending they hit where you want and function, I call it good to go for carry.

Just me, but I tend to stick to brass cased ammo. I haven't seen too much difference between brass cased vs aluminum case. I don't much care for steel cased pistol ammo.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats? you stayed old school with a very affordable DA/SA Springfield Armory XD-E. I for one tend to believe that it is a real decent conceal carry piece being a single stack. With the heavier Dual Action trigger pull I quickly became quite comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, and this without the need for the safety manual engaged.

It's good to take a Conceal Carry permit course, to reacquaint yourself with safely handling a handgun. As well that you can take some additional courses if you have some money to burn, but to be honest once you figure out the proper hand grip that you can gather from a few YouTube videos on that... do a bit of dry fire training and then hit the range a fe times you should be fine.

For ammo I stick to brass, and I tend to use Federal Champion 115gr Brass FMJ for the range the sort you can pick up at Walmart for a real reasonable price in 100 and/or 200 value packs. For a defensive carry round for conceal I ended up with Federal HST 124gr JHP or preferably 147gr JHP as they both run flawless in my XD-E after I ran a box of 50 rounds of each. In terms of a break in period, that's a good question of which I do no know the answer to... I've had my XD-E since the end of last year and I'm guessing I've fired at least 400 to 500 rounds thus far.... So what is a proper break in period and mark... 500 rounds? 1000 rounds?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the Forum, and to owning a XDE.

I’ve been shooting for years - starting with a Walther P-38 purchased through the Berlin Rod and Gun Club in 1975 - and recently bought two XDEs - my first Springfield Armory guns. I was pleased by how well designed and built they are.

I think the XDE will work with almost any ammo you feed it. Of course, after you select your preferred self defense JHP ammo, you should run a bunch of that through the gun to make sure it functions well. But for range work, almost any FMJ bullets will do. (I steer clear of steel jacketed Russian ammo, but opinions vary, so read up on what people say in the forums before deciding if you want to use it).

I like the suggestion of getting some training from a qualified instructor. That and a bunch of ammo and some range time will make for a great start. The XDE is a nice shooting little gun and a great weapon to start with.
Might take some time to adjust to recoil, and build up endurance. I had a few months off from shooting once, and I was way more sensitive to recoil when I came back. I fatigued easily and could not shoot accurately especially with pistols.

I'd start slow with guns that I can shoot easily with first to be safe, and go up to different firearms. Make sure to be safe with all firearm safety rules at all times!
Yes, I am finding that out. I sat on my purchase for a few weeks trying to decide if I wanted a 45 or the 9. After 56 rounds a the rang yesterday I am very glad I went with he 9. I have may rounds to go to get a good feel for the gun. Right now I am very happy with he gun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I am finding that out. I sat on my purchase for a few weeks trying to decide if I wanted a 45 or the 9. After 56 rounds a the rang yesterday I am very glad I went with he 9. I have may rounds to go to get a good feel for the gun. Right now I am very happy with he gun.
You know what's funny is that I too wrestled for a bit on whether I should have gone for the .45acp as at the time it was only like a $30 difference...In the end, I just wasn't crazy about the notion of being limited to just 6 rounds or 7... plus I thought, what if the recoil from the 45 version was a bit much to do proper follow-up shots in terms of accuracy... That plus the ballistics of the newer breed of 9mm JHP has apparently improved substantially in the last 10 to 15 years that even more and more Law Enforcement agencies starting with the FBI are transitioning from the S&W .40 caliber to the 9mm with JHP's... So like you, I too am happy with my choice of having either 8+1 and 9+1 with the extended mag for such a concealable piece and if anything perhaps in the future I'll spring for the 45acp

Lastly, I totally forgot to mention that you are going to find in no time at all that for it's size the XD-E is pretty darn accurate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for sharing your thought process on the 9mm. I did weigh all those issues as well lol. It seems we were on the same thought process. I have had my gun to the range twice and have put 167 rounds through it. I am very impressed with this gun. The range owner/instructor and the range officer were both impressed with gun. Very accurate gun as well. I have a bug I need to workout however. I will post to the group on this one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello From West Virginia.

Thanks to all for your input and encouragement. I have put 167 rounds through my new XDe 9mm and love the gun. I am so happy I went with the 9mm. Perfect for getting back in the game and prepping myself for a program I have been interested in for a few years now.

Having said that, I do have an issue that maybe some of you can help me work through. My first range outing I only put 56 rounds down range. I took my time, the first three rounds were single round loads. I wanted to do a function check so to speak to make sure the slide wold lock and get a feel for the DA tiger. I then went to three rounds to make sure it was feeling correctly. All was good with the gun. However after the first three sets I experienced 4 separate miss feeds during the rest of my session. I was very surprised as everything I read seem to point out that the XDe will eat just about all the good factory ammo you feed it. I was using WWB 115 gr FMJ from Wal-Mart. My instructor and the range officer were surprised as well. I had an appointment to get to so had to cut the session short, but the issue bothered me. I got the gun home and field striped it and cleaned it. All looked as expected. Nothing stood out to me as a problem.

On Saturday I headed out the the range again. Armed with note pad and pen to document any issue that might come up. I put about 112 rounds through the gun using the remainder of my WWB. I also used S&B and some reload flat nose that the range officer had and suggested I try. I experienced 14 miss feeds! All the miss feeds happed with the second to last round and they happened with all three of my 8 round mags. The 9 rounder worked fine. It did not happen every time but when it did it was alway the second to last round in the mag. Im thinking I have a mag issue. The range officer and I pulled a mag apart and all look good but we did notice that we could feel a little catch on the following plate when depressing it down with only two rounds in it.

Any and all input or ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'd wouldn't sweat too much with the first few hundred rounds, at least 500 breaking in. Some lemon guns need that.

I'd run factory brass after that to check. If it's still failing, I'd just get a different one. I'd get striker fire to keep the trigger pull all the same.

Not wise to mess around with da/sa action changes especially under stress...keep it simple shooter!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No not going to mess with any trigger settings. I like the feel of the DA. I seem to shoot better with that. Maybe just more focused with DA pulls.

I will see what happens with the next 100 rounds or so. I’m wondering if it could be my grip with the shorter mags and my pinky pressing up on the mag.

·
Registered
154 Posts
my personal experience with the XD(M) pistols is they shoot reliably and accurately right out of the box.
just clean and lube, get familiar with the pistol, and enjoy.
mine get cleaned and lubed after every session. labor of love.
thanks for your service, and welcome.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That is indeed odd... The only thing that immediately comes to mind is to temporarily stick to the extended 9 round magazine and see how many of those you can run through without a miss fire, try getting through an entire box of 115 gr FMJ Brass Federals they should also have those at your local Walmart as well... but to be honest what factory brass ammo you use should not be an issue. It does however seem strange that at the moment this only seems to be transpiring with your three 8 round magazines. I've put at easily 400 rounds through my XD-E and the first 50 to 80 without initially cleaning it from the Springfield factory grease as such literally straight out of the box when I picked it up as an FFL transfer at my local gun store & range. I have yet to esperience a miss fire, and I've used all three configurations of magazines... flush base, pinky extension and the extended magazine. As for your pinkie pressing up on the magazine possibly causing this... not sure what to say on that, it's a possibility but perhaps a remote one..... who knows, but I'm quite certain you will figure this out...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts