Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was a rental XD-40 service model, but I'm still pretty excited about it. This is only the 4th time I've fired a hand gun, and I was impressed with the results. (At about 8 yards, on a large silhouette target, 90% of my shots were in the 8, 9, 10, or X ring, while the other 5% were in the 7 ring - not great compared to some of you, but pretty good for me!)

Only had time to shoot 50 rounds, but it went fairly well. The gun did jam up once; for some reason the case didn't eject properly and the slide was stuck about a 1/4" back from the ready position, but I was able to eject the case and correct the problem simply by pulling back on the slide.

Compared to the Glock (which I have shot in both 9mm and .40), I like the XD better. I thought the trigger and the recoil (or lack thereof) are much better on the XD than the Glock. The grip felt pretty good, but I want to hold it and a few other guns a few more times before I go for the gold and buy an XD.

I was thinking about getting a XD-9 Service, but after trying the .40, I'm starting to re-consider (still haven't fired a 9 yet). Money is kind of tight, so I might go with the 9 anyway, just to save a tiny bit on ammo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
Gun ranges never clean the rental guns until they stop working, so one failure with a range gun ain't bad.
Yeah no kidding. I'm still a bit angry at Bill's Gun Shop in Circle Pines for renting out a G17 that looked like it had 100,000 rounds through it. You could write with the lead that came out of barrel onto your finger.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
539 Posts
welcome to the club... the xd's a great guns. NOthing fits in my hand better than the xd's. Those SA ads for the xd seem kinda corny with the zerox of the hand, but really, it does feel better in my hand than the rest. I don't think you'll regret it if you pick up an xd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
Firepower_426 said:
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
Gun ranges never clean the rental guns until they stop working, so one failure with a range gun ain't bad.
Yeah no kidding. I'm still a bit angry at Bill's Gun Shop in Circle Pines for renting out a G17 that looked like it had 100,000 rounds through it. You could write with the lead that came out of barrel onto your finger.
I know one of the guys that works there, and I told him that I thinking about buying a used rifle they had but I saw someone shooting it on the range and it was having some failure to feeds :( (you can try out used guns there), and I didn't want it. Then he told me that the thing had about a 1000 rounds of milserp .308 through it with out a cleaning because they don't like to clean them until thet don't work at all :shock: .
He did tell me that the gun I was looking at worked fine when it was clean, and he has shot it before, so you don't find CETMEs with wood stocks for $399 everyday so I put it on layaway, and told him that if I clean it, and it dosen't work he was getting it back ( right on top of his pointy little head) :wink: .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
272 Posts
I am in the same boat with you fireradio, I have shot many pistols and have a Glock 19 and have fired the Glock 22. I went and fired an XD 9 the other day and put a hundred rounds through it and just loved the feel and accuracy and purchased an XD 40 yesterday. Should have it in a few days. I went with the 40 becuase I am in the police academy and I am hoping to carry this gun on duty.

One advantage to going with the 40 over the 9 is you can buy a 9mm conversion barrel for around 150 and from the reviews and forums I have read on it will slide right into the 40 barrel slot and thats really all you need to do to fire 9mm. So I am going to do that so when I just want to go blow off steam I have the 9mm (cheaper ammo) to do it with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking about going with the .40 and getting the conversion barrel, too. Forgive me for this question, but I'm still pretty new to firearms ... how hard is it to install/remove the conversion barrels?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I just received my EFK 9mm conversion barrel a few days ago. I opened the box and there is a paper with a diagram showing where to file down the barrel if it doesn't fit. I thought "oh crap, no one told me I'd have to 'fit' the new barrel to the slide."
Well I put the barrel in the slide, of course it didn't fit and I rolled my eyes "I'm no gunsmith." Well, it only took about four minutes to get it to fit, the only reason it takes that long is because you only want to file off a little at a time, try to fit it, and file a little more if it needs it. Like I said, it only took 4 minutes to do this process and it was in! Very, very quick and easy. No workbench or special tools, just sat on the couch with a small file. The diagram makes it very easy to know where to file for different fitment problems.

For someone who has never taken the barrel out of a slide, it is very easy especially with the XD. It only takes about 10 seconds to get slide off the gun frame and then the spring out of the slide, then the barrel out of the slide. You need to do this anyway for cleaning.

It's so easy to change barrels you can take both to the range so you can fire both 40 and 9mm, just change the barrel right there in your range lane.

And... the 9mm ammo fits right into the 40 mags, so you don't have to buy seperate mags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
Firepower_426 said:
40SWXDSHOOTER said:
Gun ranges never clean the rental guns until they stop working, so one failure with a range gun ain't bad.
Yeah no kidding. I'm still a bit angry at Bill's Gun Shop in Circle Pines for renting out a G17 that looked like it had 100,000 rounds through it. You could write with the lead that came out of barrel onto your finger.
I know one of the guys that works there, and I told him that I thinking about buying a used rifle they had but I saw someone shooting it on the range and it was having some failure to feeds :( (you can try out used guns there), and I didn't want it. Then he told me that the thing had about a 1000 rounds of milserp .308 through it with out a cleaning because they don't like to clean them until thet don't work at all :shock: .
He did tell me that the gun I was looking at worked fine when it was clean, and he has shot it before, so you don't find CETMEs with wood stocks for $399 everyday so I put it on layaway, and told him that if I clean it, and it dosen't work he was getting it back ( right on top of his pointy little head) :wink: .
Yeah, one of the younger guys (a real nice friendly guy might I add) helped us look at some weps answered a few questions etc. Asked us how we liked shooting the G17, and I said well, it didn't feel that good. The gun felt okay in my hands, but looked horrible on paper. He said, well I'm not that suprised and kinda spilled the beans about the cleaning / maintainence. If only I knew that before hand. I can't wait to get my 5" back from Ajames in a week or so and hit up the range! Woot!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I just fired my first XD today too. But I'm not very impressed. It was the .40 Service, the same one I was looking to buy. But there are a couple of things.

1\ I don't know if I was holding it wrong or not, but when I gripped it part of my hand was not on the grip safety. It was only partially being depressed. As a matter of fact, the first round I fired jammed! It was easily ejected.

2\ The distance from the back of the grip to the trigger felt too short. Again, I don't know if I was holding it wrong but I had to consciously adjust my grip for the best fit. It didn''t feel natural.

I still like the gun. But I also fired a Glock 19 and that felt more natural and comfortable. Just don't know which one to buy now.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
jake9 said:
1\ I don't know if I was holding it wrong or not, but when I gripped it part of my hand was not on the grip safety. It was only partially being depressed. As a matter of fact, the first round I fired jammed! It was easily ejected.

2\ The distance from the back of the grip to the trigger felt too short. Again, I don't know if I was holding it wrong but I had to consciously adjust my grip for the best fit. It didn''t feel natural.
.
1....if you're saying that the top part of the grip safety was not covered by your hand, then your grip is too low. The web of your hand should be up as high as it can go on the grip safety. This is how any pistol is held, high not low. As for jamming, my XD40 has jammed twice thru 600 rnds. Both of those jams occured with the same box of ammo, so I would blame it on a bad batch of ammo. I think 99% of the other XDer's will say the same thing, XD's jam less than most others.

2...I have short beefy hands, I would like the distance to the trigger to be closer, but then I know it wouldn't fit larger handed people. In my opinion it's a good average distance for mass production.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
jake9 said:
I still like the gun. But I also fired a Glock 19 and that felt more natural and comfortable. Just don't know which one to buy now.

Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
sounds like you answered your own question :) I shot both the Glock and the XD and had the opposite reaction as you did. I went with the XD. Had I been more comfortable with the Glock, I'd be over at GlockTalk.com more :)

FWIW, it does sound like something was wrong with the grip, I have no problem with the grip safety at all...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top