Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded up 9mm:

Missouri Bullet Company 125gr SWC on top of 3.2gr (5 each) and 3.3gr (5 each) of Red Dot.

These will likely be pretty light loads, but looking forward to getting them downrange tomorrow. Just hoping they cycle the gun, using them in my XDm 3.8" barrel.

I'll give a range report tomorrow to see how it goes.

Thanks to all who helped on my newbie questions in the last month.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Good luck

I cant wait to start my relaoding.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Just a bit of advice, as I'm sure fred will be in here to give you more in depth advice, but for load workups, I'll do 5 to 10 each in 0.1gr increments, from about 5% under minimum to listed max. That will give you the best idea of what your gun likes.

I do these every time I do a component change, no matter how small. I've even considered doing workups for different powder lot #s within one brand. One exception, for my plinking pistol rounds, if I change primers, I won't do another workup.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Loaded up 9mm:

Missouri Bullet Company 125gr SWC on top of 3.2gr (5 each) and 3.3gr (5 each) of Red Dot.

These will likely be pretty light loads, but looking forward to getting them downrange tomorrow. Just hoping they cycle the gun, using them in my XDm 3.8" barrel.

I'll give a range report tomorrow to see how it goes.

Thanks to all who helped on my newbie questions in the last month.

Congrats! Nothing quite like the feeling of satisfaction you'll get after you've fired your first handloads. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
When I make up a new load I usually go in .2 grn increments .1 isnt really a whole lot of difference.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, just got back from firing…ran 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4, 5 each. All cycled/fed well and no signs of overpressure for any of them.

The 3.2 was the most accurate, but my shooting has been crap lately so I'm going to get a rest to do my accuracy testing from here. The 3.4 was pretty smoky so I'm guessing that's a bit too much powder.

Hopefully this proves helpful to someone, as it was impossible to find Red Dot loads for this specific bullet.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
When I make up a new load I usually go in .2 grn increments .1 isnt really a whole lot of difference.
With über fast powders, 1/10gr does make a diff. If your equip can't measure that fine, then stay away from such powders. Consider Clays goes from starting to max in some loads within 4/10gr, don't tell me 1/10gr doesn't matter. ALS remember pressures with some powders are only linear at starting to just above midrange. Some powders deliver vert pressure spikes at the max loads with only 1/10gr increase.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
So, just got back from firing…ran 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4, 5 each. All cycled/fed well and no signs of overpressure for any of them.

The 3.2 was the most accurate, but my shooting has been crap lately so I'm going to get a rest to do my accuracy testing from here. The 3.4 was pretty smoky so I'm guessing that's a bit too much powder.

Hopefully this proves helpful to someone, as it was impossible to find Red Dot loads for this specific bullet.
Smoke with lead bullets is bullet lube related. With RD, I would expect smoke with most commercial cast bullets, any vel level.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Smoke with lead bullets is bullet lube related. With RD, I would expect smoke with most commercial cast bullets, any vel level.
Thanks Fred…same bullets in all 15 rounds I fired, but for some reason the 3.4gr rounds were the only ones excessively smoky. May just have been random chance with those rounds having excessive lube.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks Fred…same bullets in all 15 rounds I fired, but for some reason the 3.4gr rounds were the only ones excessively smoky. May just have been random chance with those rounds having excessive lube.
Though I am not Fred, I think that at 3.4grns of Red Dot you finally got to a place where the pressure and velocity were great enough to start heating up the lube enough for it to smoke more noticably. I don't use Red Dot, though I have nothing against it, and I doubt you are at the maximum for use with an 125grn bullet, but I do hope you either get, or gain access to, a chronograph so you know what you are getting from your loads.

At least all those loads could "run the gun" so you know you are at least producing enough power to do that... much better than having a single shot pistol on your hands with your first handloads. Good luck and congratulations on your success so far. Keep experimenting and reporting back. We all are interested in as much data as we can get from different powder and bullet combinations.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
One of these days I'm going to do some video testing of diff bullet lubes & powders. My buddy shoots TG & lead. Looks like he is shooting black powder out of his 9mm.:shock:

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
OP...are you using a printed loading manual for your workups? do you own or have access to a chronograph? these things make working up handloads a little more scientific and a little less guess and hope...

what kind of setup are you running--single stage or a turret press? these kinds of things matter and help with giving more directed advice/suggestions...

kudos on starting handloading...its addictive ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Though I am not Fred, I think that at 3.4grns of Red Dot you finally got to a place where the pressure and velocity were great enough to start heating up the lube enough for it to smoke more noticably. I don't use Red Dot, though I have nothing against it, and I doubt you are at the maximum for use with an 125grn bullet, but I do hope you either get, or gain access to, a chronograph so you know what you are getting from your loads.

At least all those loads could "run the gun" so you know you are at least producing enough power to do that... much better than having a single shot pistol on your hands with your first handloads. Good luck and congratulations on your success so far. Keep experimenting and reporting back. We all are interested in as much data as we can get from different powder and bullet combinations.
I know I'm not at maximum since Lyman's shows a 120gr lead with Red dot maxing at 3.9. I studied all the data I could find for about a month before settling on starting at 3.2 so I really wasn't too concerned with anything as far as maximum pressure out of the box, if anything was wrong I would've more expected a squib.

Your point makes sense on the velocity…hopefully I'll be able to get a chrono to run them through soon as I'm also starting to figure out minor vs max power for USPSA shooting.

OP...are you using a printed loading manual for your workups? do you own or have access to a chronograph? these things make working up handloads a little more scientific and a little less guess and hope...

what kind of setup are you running--single stage or a turret press? these kinds of things matter and help with giving more directed advice/suggestions...

kudos on starting handloading...its addictive ;)
I used data gleaned from Lyman's 49th on a similar size bullet, as well as read tons of forum posts from different forums on what Red Dot loads people had tried. As I said above, I knew I wasn't starting anywhere near maximum.

I'm running a Dillon 550B…a lot of folks said Red Dot wouldn't meter well through it but it's been doing fine…I'm still going extremely slow and weighing every charge. Only one out of 20 was off enough to empty and recharge.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I'm running a Dillon 550B…a lot of folks said Red Dot wouldn't meter well through it but it's been doing fine…I'm still going extremely slow and weighing every charge. Only one out of 20 was off enough to empty and recharge.
That's still a minimum of 5%. Do you really want to weigh every charge once you settle in on a load?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's still a minimum of 5%. Do you really want to weigh every charge once you settle in on a load?
Not eventually, but multiple things at work here:

1) I'm a new loader, and I'll be going very slow for quite some time…it took me over a month to finalize set up and do one round. Yes, I'm that deliberate (even more so given the gravity of what this hobby entails).

2) The only powder I could find is red dot. The posts I read seemed to imply you'd be lucky to ever get a 3.2gr drop remotely consistent…95% success is much better than the 20 or 30% I thought I might get. So, rather than just not load until I found other powder I've given this a shot. Still happy considering the expectations I went in with.

3) The one heavy charge was likely around 3.4 when I was around 3.2 for the others. That would've still been in tolerance. Once I settle on a final load, I'll do plenty of testing to see if it ever drops light (hasn't yet), and if it's heavy what the highest drop is and if that's still not overpressure. Again, will test many many rounds before I'm comfortable.

Regardless of the powder I'll probably be measuring every charge for a while.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
With über fast powders, 1/10gr does make a diff. If your equip can't measure that fine, then stay away from such powders. Consider Clays goes from starting to max in some loads within 4/10gr, don't tell me 1/10gr doesn't matter. ALS remember pressures with some powders are only linear at starting to just above midrange. Some powders deliver vert pressure spikes at the max loads with only 1/10gr increase.
I don't really use any Uber fast powders. I believe the hottest I've used is w231. I did just pick up come titegroup and 700x to try out which are a bit faster.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts