Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... I'll start at the beginning.

I'm fairly new to shooting again (20+ years since shooting) and I have an XD 4", which I've taken to the range about 4 times so far.

Well, I signed up for the Texas CHL class and took the 10 hour classroom and written test this past Saturday. Boring and long, but did learn some good stuff and gave me good things to think about. Passed the test easilly.

Today at 3pm was my proficiency (shooting) test. As such, I decided to go in at 11am and shoot a box of 100 to practice a bit. It was suggested to practice shooting both right and left handed (for real time potential need), so I thought this would be a good opportunity to do that.

A little history... I am a lefty, but learned to shoot right. My right hand grip is probably stronger in general, and also use a drill and screwdriver right handed as well. Up until today, I have been shooting right handed, but LEFT eyed.

So.. back to today at the range. I tried shooting left after about 50 rounds of shooting as I always have (right), and realized real quickly that I am a steadier and more accurate shot with my left hand.

Forward to my 3pm CHL shooting test... I decided to shoot left handed for the test. After about 10 shots, we switched to a timed 2-shot test. I happened to pickup the gun right handed (old habbit), and was in process of switching hands when the instructor yelled fire. At this point I have 3 seconds to take 2 shots.

Being in a hurry, I took my first shot, even though my right hand wasn't fully moved where it should be yet. As such, the slide cut open the side of my right thumb. I finished the rest of this section of the test bleeding. Afterwards, we stopped and I got a bandaid from the range, and finished the rest of the testing with no more issues. PASSED the shooting test no problem (and was more accurate then I was this morning, now using the left hand).

Okay... at 5:30pm I have to go back to finish up by taking my fingerprints. Now my concern is that they can get a good copy of my prints for the state with the new cut on my finger. I have about 2 hours from the time of injury until prints, so I'm hoping the clotting happens quick :cool:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Don't worry about it. They are mainly interested in the pad area of the finger/thumb. They just won't be able to roll the finger. It does however give a nice scar for reference in the future. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back... they did roll the finger, and the print came out okay ;) Now just gotta hope the state approves :rolleyes:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just got back... they did roll the finger, and the print came out okay ;) Now just gotta hope the state approves :rolleyes:
Good Luck! Mrs. Oldgringo had to submit four (4) sets of prints, the last set by Texas' F.A.S.T. electronic system. Then we mailed the Gov, Lt Gov, Head of DPS CHL and our state Senator to get her CHL freed and her CHL issued...160 days after initial submittal.

Are you familiar with the TexasChlForum? As a Texas CHL applicant, you might want to check it out? Again, good luck. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I happened to pickup the gun right handed (old habbit), and was in process of switching hands when the instructor yelled fire. At this point I have 3 seconds to take 2 shots.

Being in a hurry, I took my first shot, even though my right hand wasn't fully moved where it should be yet.
This gets a lot of folks. 3 seconds is much longer than you think. I understand rushing though. I always finish the rapid fire segment in high power rifle when most of the better shooters are only half-way through.

Now the wait begins. That's the hard part!

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Found out that the timed part of the Texas CHL test takes an eternity. Some of the people in my class sounded like they had fully automatic pistols; all in a big hurry. Almost got me into doing the same thing.

Now that you got the class out of the way; join the rest of us patiently (most of the time) waiting for the plastic. As OldGringo stated TexasCHLForum is a good place for info. Good luck in a fast turnaround on the license.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Not to steal the subject; I'm an Ex-patriot of the Great State of Texas and I'm tempted to return when I read you guys down there. I love the cooperation between the Texans on this and the other boards that I patronize. It's a kinsmanship that all of America needs to experience. I guess that it's a result of independence that Texans feel in the great plains of the open area, it's contagious. Even in the big cities of Texas, i.e., DFW, Houston, S.A., etc..., they are more willing to help than in any other place that I've lived.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got my CHL in the mail today! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts