Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a new XD9 SC that I just got about 2 months ago. I ordered a really nice OWB Belt holster from Sidegaurd in MN. I Knew I needed to find a IWB holster so I shopped around for a while before settling on a Galco IWB holster. It was pretty cheap but looks like it should do what I need it to.

The problem I am having is that I just cannot get use to the gun in my pants. I have experimented with a lot of different positions and just can't seem to find one that I would deem comfortable. Any advice would be apreciated.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
Get bigger pants and a good holster. Galco really aren't all that great.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I can't get into them either. Solution- high and close-riding OWB with an untucked shirt (or jacket during the colder months).

I don't like having pairs of bigger pants for carrying, and pairs for not carrying.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
I can't get into them either. Solution- high and close-riding OWB with an untucked shirt (or jacket during the colder months).

I don't like having pairs of bigger pants for carrying, and pairs for not carrying.
Then stop not carrying.

I don't have a single pair of pants for not carrying. I carry an XD40SC IWB every day in a desantis tuck this.

I have a 32" waist but wear 33" pants (which are much more difficult to find than 32" and 34")

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I carry an SA-XD 45 Tactical and an extra mag using a nylon IWB holster located at about 3:30 - 4:00 position. Only the handle of the pistol is above the wasteband and lays very comfortably against my back. A slightly untucked shirt covers it nicely. Holster is available at http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Product/SA%20344

·
Registered
96 Posts
. . .The problem I am having is that I just cannot get use to the gun in my pants. I have experimented with a lot of different positions and just can't seem to find one that I would deem comfortable. Any advice would be apreciated.

LMAO!!!!! Try boxers?

OK, seriously . . . . Congrats on your new SC! For IWB, give it some time. Before you call it done, you may wish to try a CBST, MTAC, or another better IWB, that may work for you. Got a buddy who has one you can try? You find the right fit, and you may barely know it's there. There are so many variables and options out there, don't give up too soon if you desire to carry IWB.

In the end, tho, you don't "need to get" an IWB. Many folks carry just fine OWB with larger pistols, too. It's all about what you prefer and truly what works best for you. More important than trying to make IWB work for you is that you find the right combo of holster/belt/carry option/position/clothing/etc. that works best for YOU and allows you to comfortably CC the gun.

Just looked at your pic from your signature, that is one sweeeeeeeeeeeet pistol!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Then stop not carrying.

I don't have a single pair of pants for not carrying. I carry an XD40SC IWB every day in a desantis tuck this.

I have a 32" waist but wear 33" pants (which are much more difficult to find than 32" and 34")
Sort of hard to do when you work at a federal government facility!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for advice so far. I realize that the Galco Holster might be root of my problem. Luckily I have dropped about 40lbs this year so knave a lot of pants that will hide a large frame gun. I thinking about buying a new IWB holster down the road.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Surprised no one else said it yet but check out the Crossbreed supertuck. You might be able to find someone else from the forum close to you that has one you could check out. I love time and have been hiking for miles with it, to the movies, driving for hours, etc. I did have to buy some bigger jeans for using it but I don't need as large of cargo shorts for it. Good luck!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I found IWB to be awesome. There are three important things you need.

1. Pants a size larger than you normally wear.
2. A good gun belt.
3. A good IWB holster.

I have found that 1&2 are more important than 3. A good holster with a cheap belt will sag and be uncomfortable. A cheap Uncle Mikes will do ok if you have properly sized pants and a good gun belt.

I can't carry at work either, I just cinch my belt tighter.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Gun on da ground,
Gun on da ground,
Looking like a fool
wit my gun on da ground.

Hat turned sideways,
Pants too small,
dropped my gun
in da mall.

Wit my gun on da ground,
gun on da ground.
Looking like a fool
wit my gun on da ground.

:shock::confused::cool:

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'll put in a plug for Theis Holsters. Great holster for a good price and Tommy's fast! Ordered on June 4th, shipped from Arkansas on June 9th, and arrived at my door in Seattle on June 13th. He is also very responsive and always promptly replied to my emails.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts
A good belt and holster is key. I use a Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt and a Crossbreed Supertuck.

This weekend I nearly had a heart attack. I was standing talking to someone and I couldn't feel my gun on my side. I literally had to reach down and make sure it was still there. Sure enough, it was, but it was just so comfortable I didn't feel a thing.

It will be different for a while, but it is something you will have to get used to. At the same time, it shouldn't be uncomfortable, especially to the point where you don't want to carry anymore. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got my remora and have been playing with it...it is clipless so you can move it any where and its inexpensive.....and I have a xdsc 9....might want to try it..

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I carry a XD .40 in CBST all day. 3:30 position and I never had to buy bigger pants. Tee shirt over the top and good to go.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
As it's been said:
I found IWB to be awesome. There are three important things you need.

1. Pants a size larger than you normally wear.
2. A good gun belt.
3. A good IWB holster.
I can't carry at work either, I just cinch my belt tighter.
I also wear an UnderArmor or equivalent shirt underneath, so it's between me and the holster.

I'm a big fan of the CBST. No complaints. I wear IWB because of my normal clothes style, untucked shirts, and I don't have to worry about exposing the muzzle since it's inside my pants/shorts.

Also, ditto on the works and pants bit. Bigger pants, that's what belts are for. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
A good belt and holster is key. I use a Wilderness Tactical Instructor belt and a Crossbreed Supertuck.

This weekend I nearly had a heart attack. I was standing talking to someone and I couldn't feel my gun on my side. I literally had to reach down and make sure it was still there. Sure enough, it was, but it was just so comfortable I didn't feel a thing.

It will be different for a while, but it is something you will have to get used to. At the same time, it shouldn't be uncomfortable, especially to the point where you don't want to carry anymore. Good luck.
I have the same experience with mine as well.
I find myself checking to see if I still have my gun several times a day.
Plus 1000
CBST (x3)
CB Belt
Wilderness Tactical "Instructor" belt.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts

I'm the same way. I prefer high and close OWB holsters and the brand I've settled on is Don Hume. For IWB, I've tried several to include the Comp-Tac MTAC Minotaur and Galco Triton before trying the Don Hume and there's no comparison, the Don Hume is significantly more comfortable. No worries about the seatbelt in a car or anything because it's nice and high. Very comfortable.

Don Hume H721OT Black, Right Hand, XD-40, XD-9 3 inch Sub Compact - Top Gun Supply

1 - 20 of 34 Posts