Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I bought a XD-40 and am waiting the 10 days before I get it(I have to get out of this state, CA). I got this gun for my son(13) to shoot steel-challenge and may want to convert to a 9mm ported barrel. I know that barrels are drop in but don't you have to change the mags also? I would think that the lips on the 40 mag would be to wide. Anyone give me advice on this. Also who has the least expen. mags for the xd I will need a few more anyway. Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
you can adjust the feed lips on the .40 mags (search forum) and they will work fine...but if your going to be using your XD as both a 40 and 9...perhaps u should just buy magazines in both calibers :wink:

I'd hate to have to adjust them each time i started firing the other caliber.

and for your magazines...no offense to the resellers on this forum..but the cheapest i've found is at: www.midwayusa.com

$19.99 for the springfield 12rnd .40

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you get the ported XD 40? If not, you can't put a ported barrel in without getting the slide cut for it. I don't know if anyone makes a compensator for the XD or not but you may want to check into that rather than going ported.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I believe some of the ported aftermarket barrel extends a half inch beyond the slide and it is this extra half inche that gets the porting. Someone must have a picture of these barrels install?

mcb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies......I was thinking of getting the extended barrel with the porting in the end......And I will check with midway for mags....I guess I will just have to try the 40 mags with 9mm and find out.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Glad to see your son is interested in shooting sports :D . For extra mags, check out Ajames and Old School's web stores. Click on their names in my signature block.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
As long as you don't overadjust, you don't need to readjust to use modified magazines back and forth in 9mm/.40. I have 15 magazines that are interchangeable and reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts