Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought the Ruger LCR 357! checked it out the gun show, was trying to decide between this and the Ruger SP-101.

I wanted a pocket carry with some serious knock down power, and the versatility of shooting 357 and 38sp.

fit my hand perfectly, lightweight - at the gun show in houston, the guy let me try both of them in my short pockets.

can't wait to shoot it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I carry one quite frequently and it is a very accurate gun for the short barrel. I have run a box of full house 357 rounds through it and was very impressed with how well it handles the round, being so light, however I load it with 38 spl critical defense for edc. I have really enjoyed this pistol and have recommended it to many of my fellow gun friends.

Good shooting, enjoy your purchase shoot straight.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I love mine! If you want to really rock your hand shoot some full power .357's with the "boot grip". Great gun

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I carry one quite frequently and it is a very accurate gun for the short barrel. I have run a box of full house 357 rounds through it and was very impressed with how well it handles the round, being so light, however I load it with 38 spl critical defense for edc. I have really enjoyed this pistol and have recommended it to many of my fellow gun friends.

Good shooting, enjoy your purchase shoot straight.
Not meaning to flame you but doesn't downloading it to 38s kind of defeat the idea of it being chambered for 357?

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Not meaning to flame you but doesn't downloading it to 38s kind of defeat the idea of it being chambered for 357?
Have you ever shot a 357 Magnum out of a short barrel without any hearing protection? If you had, you'd understand the wisdom of choosing a quieter loading.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Have you ever shot a 357 Magnum out of a short barrel without any hearing protection? If you had, you'd understand the wisdom of choosing a quieter loading.
^Agree....Not to mention the ability to get off a decent follow-up shot. IMHO, it's pretty hard for anyone to shoot .357s out of a revolver that light. 38sp +P HP ammo is a pretty good defensive round...

·
Registered
65 Posts
yes it does. But when i purchased the gun the lcr 357 was new to market and mostly all you could get it in was 38spl. When I went to the gun store I had intentions of purchasing the 38, the store I picked it up from had the 357 for $15 more than the 38 so it made sense to make an upgrade from my original choice. With that being said I now have a handgun that I can carry 38spl or 357mg in. I don't regularly go into places where I feel that I will need to carry full house 357, and when I do i carry my .45 and the LCR with 357.
Like I said edc is 38spl doesn't mean it cant be reloaded.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Valid point, but how much louder or quieter is either load in comparison? To be honest I have not ever shot anything without my Micky Mouse on but you're gonna have that problem most likely in any defensive shooting and I am not sure how much difference the caliber will make.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
In a short barrel I would expect a 357 Magnum to generate in the range of 168 to 170 DB. In comparison a short barrel specific load of 38 +P will probably generate around 158 db and produce muzzle velocities within 100 fps of the Magnum. Since volume doubles for every 3 db increase a 12 db increase means that the volume has increased by a factor of 8, meaning it's 8 TIMES louder. BTW, these numbers are based on results listed from a longer 4 inch barrel and then estimated, so they aren't gospel. However, there is so much out of barrel powder burn with a 357 Magnum that my guess is probably on the low side, it might even hit 175 db. Quite simply the 357 Magnum is damned LOUD and velocity with most commerial loads peak with a barrel length between 16 and 18 inches. Basically, the 357 Magnum is actually a carbine round packaged in a pistol cartridge. Shoot one out of a rifle and it's no louder than a 30-30 and actually produces similar ballistics.

Bottomline, out of a short barrel most of the energy in a 357 Magnum goes into producing noise and muzzle flash. In one way that is a positive, provided you are wearing hearing protection, because it's likely louder than the flash bang grenades police use, so it's likely to freeze an opponent. However, if you aren't wearing hearing protection it'll also cause you to freeze and then it's a race to who can recover from the shock faster.

Personally, I think the 357 Magnum is a poor choice for defense. With the advances in bullet technology you really don't need 1400 fps to produce expansion and the weaker calibers are much quieter. In addition the 357 Magnum produces enough muzzle snap to make a 40 caliber seem like a powder puff, so it's not an easy caliber to master in controlled rapid fire shooting. However, it can be fun to shoot in a revolver that is heavy enough and it's amuzing to to watch the semi shooters jump when you light one off. In addition, in a 6 or 8 3/8 inch barrel it's a superb short range hunting caliber for deer and similar size game. However, if I were hunting with it I'd make sure I had my ears on, even out of a longer barrel it can still ring your bell for up to an hour.

·
Premium Member
127,151 Posts
My LCR .38 +P goes everywhere with me.

·
Registered
748 Posts
In a short barrel I would expect a 357 <snip>
Personally, I think the 357 Magnum is a poor choice for defense. With the advances in bullet technology you really don't need 1400 fps to produce expansion and the weaker calibers are much quieter. In addition the 357 Magnum produces enough muzzle snap to make a 40 caliber seem like a powder puff, so it's not an easy caliber to master in controlled rapid fire shooting. However, it can be fun to shoot in a revolver that is heavy enough and it's amuzing to to watch the semi shooters jump when you light one off. In addition, in a 6 or 8 3/8 inch barrel it's a superb short range hunting caliber for deer and similar size game. However, if I were hunting with it I'd make sure I had my ears on, even out of a longer barrel it can still ring your bell for up to an hour.
Twenty something years ago, I fired my first .357 round in a 100ft. wide sandstone canyon (no sound absorbtion), no muffs, 4.5" barrel; my ears are still ringing. :shock: (it was just one shot, what could possibly go wrong?) It hurt so bad, I almost went to my knees. :cry: I had been using the gun with mild .38 loads (with muffs) to teach my wife, without scaring her. fwiw: Previously, I used ear muffs for almost every tool in my shop, still do. Firing that caliber inside would be a really bad idea. Hearing loss is permanent and progressive. Want to hear your grand kids learn how to speak?? Protect your hearing every chance you get; Joe 'tuff guy' is going deaf, a little at a time. YMMV, IMHO, yada, yada.

I bought a .38 Airweight snubby for a truck gun when traveling (kalifornia won't allow my XDM-40). That little gun hurts to shoot. Ten shots right handed, 10 shots left handed; I'm done, with gloves. :oops: .357, not a chance. obtw: I ride my dual sport motorcycle off road, at least once a week, all summer; so my grip is ok.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
In a short barrel I would expect a 357 Magnum to generate in the range of 168 to 170 DB. In comparison a short barrel specific load of 38 +P will probably generate around 158 db and produce muzzle velocities within 100 fps of the Magnum. Since volume doubles for every 3 db increase a 12 db increase means that the volume has increased by a factor of 8, meaning it's 8 TIMES louder. BTW, these numbers are based on results listed from a longer 4 inch barrel and then estimated, so they aren't gospel. However, there is so much out of barrel powder burn with a 357 Magnum that my guess is probably on the low side, it might even hit 175 db. Quite simply the 357 Magnum is damned LOUD and velocity with most commerial loads peak with a barrel length between 16 and 18 inches. Basically, the 357 Magnum is actually a carbine round packaged in a pistol cartridge. Shoot one out of a rifle and it's no louder than a 30-30 and actually produces similar ballistics.

Bottomline, out of a short barrel most of the energy in a 357 Magnum goes into producing noise and muzzle flash. In one way that is a positive, provided you are wearing hearing protection, because it's likely louder than the flash bang grenades police use, so it's likely to freeze an opponent. However, if you aren't wearing hearing protection it'll also cause you to freeze and then it's a race to who can recover from the shock faster.

Thank you, nice explanation.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Sweet! Those LCRs are nice! I was looking for a snubbie right when they came out. Rather than wait I bought a S&W 442 and have wished I had waited for the LCR since!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have had mine for about a month and love it. I have only been able to run about 100 rounds through it and I too am impressed at its accuracy. Laser? I think you can get aftermarket grips but they don't come from Ruger with any. I am loking for what hosters people are using with it. I just use a pocket holstre right now, but have been thinking about a CB quick clip..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts