Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I finally bought the Springfield XDS 45 yesterday. I took it to the shooting range after I bought it and it shot great, but I have some concerns. At first I cycled some bullets without shooting, after I did that I loaded up some FMJs i bought from the range and I let this badboy rip. Now the first shot was perfect, the second shot nothing happen. So I took out the clip and removed the bullet and tried again. third shot was a success and the forth one was a fail again. Now can it be the range ammo that was causing this?? I shot 5 hollow points with no problem. Another thing, the grip on this gun is killer on my hand. After shooting it left it a little raw. I ended up purchasing the Talon grip.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Did you clean the gun before you went to the range? There is a lot of information about cleaning the striker channel on here. It comes from the factory with preservative to keep it from rusting before its sold. If you take the striker out clean it out real well most likely that will solve all your problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't. But I did clean the gun last night. Do you have a link to that post? I want to see how to properly clean this gun. Thanks again

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bet a stricker cleaning clears it up as the others have stated.

·
Registered
340 Posts
" At first I cycled some bullets without shooting", --- Never a good idea.
" So I took out the clip {magazine} and removed the bullet and tried again." ---Carefull of bullet set back.
Not trying to school you , you are probably a super safe shooter, that part of your post, just kinda hit me.
Like already said, maybe a good cleaning is all it needs. Ammo is not usually an issue with the XDs, anyway, I hope you get it worked out, it really is a great gun. below is a link th TACTI-COOL that you might find helpfull if you haven`t already found it. good luck

http://www.tacti-cool.com

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Congrats and Welcome from Concord NC.
Cleaning should take care of the issue, the gun will only perform better with time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The striker channel might be dirty, but I doubt that's your issue... but clean it with alcohol and reassemble dry anyway.

Clean it and lube it (WELL lubed, at the points that SA recommends. Also lube the outside of the barrel and top part of the barrel that hits the top of the slide.

Next time it doesn't go bang check to see if it didn't go fully into battery - this is a common issue with these guns. It might just be a hair out of battery, which causes a light primer strike. The hollow points may have had more ooomph, which resulted in a stronger recoil action on the slide. The FMJ's may be a lighter load and not ejecting as forcefully.

Someone will come along and suggest "limp wristing". While this can be the culprit, if you're an experienced shooter I doubt it's an issue. You do need a solid WRIST (not hand) when shooting this gun, but...

I had this exact issue with my brand new xds, and it took a return trip to SA for them to "adjust the extractor" before it ran right. My gun now feeds everything from factory HD loads, to my light 200gr lead bullet reloads. Since it's been fixed by SA, I have tried to purposely "limp wrist" it to induce a failure and can't.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Next time it doesn't go bang check to see if it didn't go fully into battery
The problem with checking after it fails to fire is that (at least in the instances I'm aware of) the action of pulling the trigger and releasing the striker tends to allow the slide to return fully into battery.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The problem with checking after it fails to fire is that (at least in the instances I'm aware of) the action of pulling the trigger and releasing the striker tends to allow the slide to return fully into battery.
Good point - definitely could. Didn't in my case though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the wonderful post guys. I greatly appreciate it. I should be going out to the range in the next week or so to see if the lubing and cleaning did the trick. Do you guys have any suggestions for a new recoil spring? I was thinking of getting that DPM one but after reading the review here I was like screw it.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I would shoot it more before doing any mods. JMO, and 90% of my guns are bone stock so I am not an unbiased poster on this topic. I spend good money on guns. After that I prefer to buy ammo and reloading components. Not springs.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd put a coupla-few hundred rounds through it before considering mods. Mine is stock, shoots great, nice trigger, etc... I know a lot of folks like to mod their guns for fun, see if they can make 'em better, etc.., and that's all well and good, but I prefer stock unless there is some compelling reason to change it.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Good point - definitely could. Didn't in my case though.
Interesting. In the instances I'm aware of, the end result was a light, slightly off-center primer strike. What did yours look like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another question I had for you guys. You guys don't find the xds grip a little aggressive when you shoot? I ended up ordering the Talon grip. The gun kept leaving the indentation marks on my hand every-time I would shoot.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Another question I had for you guys. You guys don't find the xds grip a little aggressive when you shoot? I ended up ordering the Talon grip. The gun kept leaving the indentation marks on my hand every-time I would shoot.
Sure, it's aggressive, but I don't mind it.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Me neither but a lot of guys do the Talon grips. Not trying to be a wisenheimer, but I work outdoors for a living so I have a lot of grip strength and years of calluses, which probably helps me. There are some advantages to digging holes and running a trencher...but not that many.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I work in IT and find the 9mm XDS not that aggressive. My last range session was 200 rounds after the PRP spring install and I didn't feel any discomfort or marks or anything. ymmv. :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts