Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
black sunshine said:
Are there any suggestions from anyone who has shot one?
Yes!...Enjoy the hell out of it, and welcome to ther forum. :wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Buy lots and lots of ammo. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Start shopping around for good deals on ammo. There are numerous places on the web to buy from. You might also want to get into reloading if you plan to shoot a lot. Enjoy the new XD and get a 9mm conversion barrel. Cheap ammo and two guns in one. Gotta Love that!!!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Trade it in for a XD-9. I used to own one but got rid of it due to FTF issues. The advantages of a .40 are marginal at best. A good 9mm JHP load will do the job as well. A 9mm is cheaper to shoot (that means more range time and more practice), more accurate and easier to shoot accurately. Higher capacity magazines are nice too. A well placed 9mm more effective then a badly placed .40 (or .45 for that matter).

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
manygunner said:
Trade it in for a XD-9. I used to own one but got rid of it due to FTF issues. The advantages of a .40 are marginal at best. A good 9mm JHP load will do the job as well. A 9mm is cheaper to shoot (that means more range time and more practice), more accurate and easier to shoot accurately. Higher capacity magazines are nice too. A well placed 9mm more effective then a badly placed .40 (or .45 for that matter).
You make some relevant points many, but I don't think that's the suggestions he's looking for! :D

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
manygunner said:
?? :roll:

Maybe you should let him decide. He can always get a 9mm conversion later. But as long as we're on the subject, more accurate? I have never felt this to be true. As a matter of fact, I have found the 9mm to be the least (though certainly acceptable for defense) accurate caliber, all things considered compared to .40SW and .45 ACP. Secondly, accuracy is largely dependent on practice. Practice extensively with the .40 SW or any other caliber for that matter, and accuracy will follow. Thirdly, the advantages are "marginal?" What do you base this on, better stated, how do you quantify? Hmm.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I have both a Service model and a Tactical model in .40 S&W. Other than with my own reloads, I have never had the slightest feeding or extraction issues with Winchester White Box, American Eagle or Federal Hydra-Shok ammo. No difference between 165 grain or 180 grain bullets, either. As for the reloads, I loaded the bullet longer and solved that problem as well.

I have no doubt that some people have had problems with the .40 caliber guns, just as I am sure there are legitimate issues with finish, extraction, etc. Seems to be a variety of probblems that crop up from time to time.

Just use your pistol, shoot it as often as you can afford to, and be pleased with your new purchase if it does what you want it to. Any "accessories" will make their need known as you practice, a trigger job might be the most useful, depending on the use to which you will place the pistol.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Guns are bad....give it to me and i'll dispose of it properly :lol:

look for the remington UMC megapack...specially if you have a sportsmans warehouse in your area...250rnds for $43.00...best deal i've found.

·
Registered
415 Posts
A well placed pointed stick is better than a badly placed .40! :idea:

·
Registered
34 Posts
manygunner said:
A well placed .22 is better than a badly placed 9mm, too.

I have the .40, and like it. It is the second .40 I have owned. The .40 gives me the trade-off of some of the big bore knockdown of a .45, but a few more in magazine capicity. Kind of the best of both worlds. I have full confidence in what is in my holster, and to me that means a lot.

I am by no means an expert, but that is my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
nogoa said:
A well placed stick is better than a badly placed ANYTHING. So what? It's a meaningless comparison that people seem to endlesly make. To my way of thinking, a GOOD hit with a .40 is better than a GOOD hit with a 9mm; if hits with both are bad, you have a little bit more margin of error with a .40. Of course, one can continue to scale up; if I could conceal it, I'd carry a Desert Eagle .50 AE (Well, no I wouldn't, I'd carry an M4!)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Two years of flawless operation with my 40. I agree with the previous thread. It is the best of both worlds. More room for error with the 40 than the 9. And as we all know, when your in a live or die situation it can get a bit stressfull and cause some error. A 9 can work as well and so will the 45, but the 40 is a real good compromize. Enjoy your new 40! :wink:

·
Registered
415 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
nogoa said:
A well placed stick is better than a badly placed ANYTHING. So what? It's a meaningless comparison that people seem to endlesly make. To my way of thinking, a GOOD hit with a .40 is better than a GOOD hit with a 9mm; if hits with both are bad, you have a little bit more margin of error with a .40. Of course, one can continue to scale up; if I could conceal it, I'd carry a Desert Eagle .50 AE (Well, no I wouldn't, I'd carry an M4!)
Actually it isn't a comparison, just sarcasm at the endless question of the mythical perfect round.

All I carry is .40(off duty). I have never truly trusted in the 9mm since I joined the military. I wish we could go back to .45, but the new Sig .40's will be better than what we have.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I'm sure that the fellow that just purchased a .40 XD and is brand new to the forum isn't really interested in the usual "my dick is bigger than your dick" discussion. He most likely is interested in suggestions from those of you that have the .40 and XD's in general, about the care and feeding along with any unique experiences that you may have had.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the XD 40 and I purchased the Fire Dragon aftermarket 9 mm barrel, so I have a 2 in 1. I can shoot the inexpensive 9 mm all day, then practice with the 40 S&W when I feel the need to.

I have never had any failure of any type with my XD 40 or with the 9 mm barrel installed. That's after 1000s of rounds.

Also, I have never enjoyed or felt as comfortable with any pistol as I have with the XD.

Shoot safe and have fun,
Ron

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Frenchy said:
manygunner said:
You make some relevant points many, but I don't think that's the suggestions he's looking for! :D
Probably right there Frenchy. But he did ask for advice. Based on my experiences with the .40 round that is the advice I give nowadays. In case some of you missed it I have liquidated all of my guns in the .40 S&W chambering as I found only one that was reliable (HK P2000) and I got rid of that one as I prefer a SA gun to a DAO gun. He can keep the XD-40, its his choice, that was just my advice based on my experiences with it. You may flame away gentlemen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The best thing to do is shoot it and enjoy. Buy any aftermarket additions to the gun you want and have fun with it. That's what it's really about. Enjoy your XD. You'll love it (in any caliber).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts