Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

To celebrate the new purchase of a OD SAXD40 Sub I went ahead an bought a new holster.

I was wondeirng if anyone here has any opinions on the Galco Classic Lite Shoulder System. I just ordered online last night but I didn't really search for any reviews. Can someone say IMPULSE??? I also bought the Suede Tie downs for both sides as I can forsee that this will want to move around on me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know anything about water molding and how it is done? I called Galco yesterday and he said it wasn't a water molded holster, and was more of a generic holster for many types of pistols.

I realize that it is a generic holster as many guns will fit this, and I also realize that a water molded holster is one such as the some of the FIST holsters, but does anyone know how this process is done and if it can be done with the holster mentioned above? Or is there a process that can be done that will at least make the holster fit the gun better?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Generally, wet-molding is done by sewing up the holster so that it is a bit too tight for the gun, soaking the leather, and then sticking a gun mold in it. Boning rubs the leather into an impression of the gun and you end up with a holster that looks like its a gun made out of leather. Generally, once a holster is properly treated, dyed and sealed, it will no longer soak up water like it used to, so no, it would not be a good idea to try and wet mold a finished, non-molded holster.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you said this because once i got the holster in the mail I was hell bent on trying to wet mold it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just (20 minutes ago) royally ****ed up a holster I'd been working on all month, because the leather shrunk too much in a dye bath. Skin is unpredictable, and you shouldn't mess with it unless you know what you're doing (he says as he sketches out amateurish designs for a new holster).

If your holster already has a retention strap and you're comfortable using it, there's really no need for precise molding. Usually its done to give leather holsters good retention for open-top designs. At least, that's my perspective. There's so many quality makers out there, that molding is the norm now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I just got it in the mail, and I have to say that it makes me feel like Don Johnson from Miami Vice.

Yep, sure does.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Stickles01 said:
Well I just got it in the mail, and I have to say that it makes me feel like Don Johnson from Miami Vice.

Yep, sure does.
Can you hear the theme music as it plays in your head and you picture yourself on that speedboat of the FL coast? Don't forget the white testarossa.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Stickles01 said:
Hey all,

To celebrate the new purchase of a OD SAXD40 Sub I went ahead an bought a new holster.

I was wondeirng if anyone here has any opinions on the Galco Classic Lite Shoulder System. I just ordered online last night but I didn't really search for any reviews. Can someone say IMPULSE??? I also bought the Suede Tie downs for both sides as I can forsee that this will want to move around on me.
Too bad. I have one that's brand new I would have let go for $50 including shipping. Well, its almost brand new. I've used it a few times for wandering around the house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts