Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Gunbroker. I'm a little nervous as I have never bought online before but the seller is good and I called them just to see if I liked the place before I bought. Their email is down so I'll call tomorrow to pay for it and give them the info on the LGS to send it to.

I reload .44 mag for my 629 S&W and just love shooting it so I wanted to add a lever action in the same caliber.

Seller's pic:

Do you guys have any 1894's?

·
Registered
29,825 Posts
I've got an 1894C in .357; I love shooting .38's out of it. Like shooting a .22...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll bet that's fun! I load mid-strength .44 mag loads and they should be fun also but I worry about the length and if they'll work. If not I'll just make some more!

·
Premium Member
127,978 Posts
Good for you!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully by next weekend I'll see how it shoots.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Congrats, have several and they can be loaded to not noticeable, to jolt ya back a tad. Marlins can be sensitive to max col, and can to bullet profile of some lead designs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a lot loaded up already with 240gr Ranier bullets with a flat nose. Hope the Marlin likes them!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
You are in for some big fun!

I have Marlin 1894s in 357 and 44 mag. Love them!

Accurate, well made, fast and fun to shoot. Even with full house 300gr 44 Mag loads...it is not a bad kicker. Kicks less than a 30-30. Very easy recoil with the 180-240gr 44 mag loads as well.

What is super fun is to shoot some of those light 44 Special "cowboy action" loads through the gun. They have no recoil at all and you can shoot them without ear protection. No louder than a firecracker. Fun for little kids...my daughter shot 44 Spl loads in my 1984 Marlin when she was about 8 years old!

What amazes me about my 44 mag Marlin is how accurate it is with certain loads. With the fiocchi 240gr soft points...I get 50yd groups that are the size of a nickel!

I have taken several pigs with the 44 mag Marlin...along with a few whitetail doe and a mouflon sheep. Everything went straight to the ground. I also shot several small varmints like raccoons, armadillos and skunks with 44 Spl loads. Again...everything died quickly.

You will love the Marlin 44 mag...it is a great shooter...have fun.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that post man - this gun sounds like it's a blast to shoot!

If I get another one it'd be in .357 also. I'll bet shooting 38's is fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not familiar with the Rainers. If they don't have a cannelure to crimp into, may want to check to see if rounds shorten up after fully loaded and after firing most of them out.

Reload for more than a couple of tube fed levers, and am careful about adequate bullet/case tension. Especially when keeping em loaded for period of time.

Enjoy, there are a blast , literally.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a box of Jacketed Ranier 240gr on sale, they shoot fine in my 629. I mostly now use Bear Creek moly-coated 240gr FN bullets.

Today I cleaned out crap from around my loading bench in the garage, haven't used it in a couple of years but I'm about to get the 2 Dillon 550's cranking. I checked the online 1894 manual and it says max col 1.610 and that what I've been going by for all the rounds I have loaded so I should be ok I think. Got to load some .454 Casull also.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got a tracking number for FedEx. Tracking says it won't be here 'til Tuesday but hopefully it'll be sooner so I can post pics and a range report.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't got this one and I want one in .357!

I already have a 629 so that'll have to do for now. Not very cowboy though. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Lever guns are really fun! I bought a Rossi variant back when Marlin was going through some serious QC issues. Mine is the 16" barrel, stainless steel version in 357/38. It seems that Marlin is back on track and I'd love to grab one of these in 44. Congrats on what is sure to be a fine carbine.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Man! I was watching hicock45 videos on youtube last night where he shoots the 44 mag 1894 and it does look like fun. Should be here tomorrow - damn tracking hasn't been updated since Friday.

I sold a gun for $550 and will put it in the bank tomorrow and order a big loop lever and new trigger set from Wild West Guns. Can't wait to get this thing set up the way I want it!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts