Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a random thought I had while cleaning my pistols today. I'm sort of a traditionalist by nature. I'm also take quite a bit of pride in taking are of things, especially my firearms. Even the less expensive ones. As I lubed up my 1911, I thought of all the articles written on the current crop of firearms (pistols, rifles and shotguns) proclaiming the ease of upkeep of so many of them. The non-corrosive steels and plastics give one the impression that maintenance of these weapons can be an after thought. While I think modern materials are great, the thought that one should not take active care of their weapon is so foreign to me. I guess it comes back to taking pride in what you own. Frequent handling and assessment of one's weapons, even while cleaning, leads to familiarity, which is a positive thing.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I too am anal about maintaining a clean & reliable weapon. That being said, a lot of people take pride in bragging how they never clean their....... They brag, "I've fired ten thousand rounds, never even oiled it!." Or that they only use used motor oil for lube as it is "good enough"

Whatever, do what makes you happy. I just hate seeing these guys spew crud like that to newbies & the likes as if it were scripture. Then these uninformed people make mistakes because they watched a do*che on YouTue who is in camo and says "tactical" every other word.

All I know is my stuff always works AND keeps its value.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I'm with you OP. I think cleaning is important, and I also enjoy it. Maintenance of the older deigns is especially rewarding. Cleaning and reloading are my quiet reflection times. Anti gunners would of course think I need help ;)

·
Registered
616 Posts
+1
I clean my firearms after every trip to the range. Took my 870 out today to see if it has been repaired properly, and ended up shooting 3 mags through my P345. BOTH were cleaned moments ago. Doesn't matter if it's 1 round or 1000, I clean it anyways.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Wow. This is nice. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I love to clean, disassemble and reassemble my 1911s.
I think it has a bit to do with OCD.
Very relaxing though, I love the detail and handling everything.
Even if I haven't gone to the range, I'll get the one that has been all alone the most and disassemble it and reassemble it.
Check constantly for any scratches, wear or cracking.
Lube everything, clean every nook and cranny. Get my oil rag out and just polish and polish.
I use magnifying glasses to inspect with.
It's an addiction with me. :shock:
I like it.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I totally agree with y'all. I clean my weapons after returning home from the range. I spent good money for a good weapons and I want to keep them in the best operating order possible. Leaving them dirty........isn't in my belief scheme!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I am with you guys. I suppose it is nice to know that your guns cold stand up to the abuse if they need to, but I prefer to keep my guns in as good of shape as reasonable for shooters.

No need to prove anything to myself regarding the reliability of my weapons, they are all proven platforms.

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
I cleaned two of my pistols last evening...one because I had fired it earlier in the day and the other because it was feeling neglected. ;)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yup, been playing with my 1911s so much that last weekend I had to take my faithful XD 9mm to the range and put about 350 rounds down range with it. No issues what so ever. Nice.
Brought it home, detail stripped and cleaned it.
It's a lot happier now. :p

At first, it's like, does this thing ever run out of ammo?

So used to having just 9 rounds, then suddenly 18...nice.

Still carry my Kimber and polish it every night.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I clean mine every time after shooting and then I'll brake them down and oil them sometimes if I ever think they need some TLC or attention.

At first, it's like, does this thing ever run out of ammo?

So used to having just 9 rounds, then suddenly 18...nice.
I do the same thing at the range. I wonder why I run out so quickly in my 1911 and when I'm going to run out in my XD or Sig.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I agree with what you're saying, but I think the selling point is, "These guns work even if you neglect them, imagine how well they will work with proper care.".

·
Registered
208 Posts
I too am anal about maintaining a clean & reliable weapon. That being said, a lot of people take pride in bragging how they never clean their....... They brag, "I've fired ten thousand rounds, never even oiled it!." Or that they only use used motor oil for lube as it is "good enough"
Whats wrong with motor oil? I use mobil 1 synthetic. I can't think of a single oil "for" guns that would work better then a good engine oil.

Sorry just saw the used motor oil part.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Really. USED motor oil. Ewwwww..... :shock:

That's like putting your dirt back on....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts