Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm joining the CCW club. I took my CCW class on Saturday and got my application packet sent off this morning. I took the advice of a lot of people on here and ordered my supertuck holster also. Hopefully in 3-12 weeks, I'll be legally packing :)

My wife isn't too happy about me actually carrying; I think she thought the pistol was just a phase that I was going through. I explained to her that if my family (us, our future children) is in danger, I plan on being able to protect them. She's still not pleased, but hopefully she'll get used to it.

Edit: I meant to put this in the Chatterbox, mods please move it if it should be there.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Nice Congrats and Welcome!! Where are you located J/W?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I feel that a wife who does not approve of her husband carrying to protect them both needs to pay more attention to the local news.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Louisiana. I don't know how it is in other states, but the whole process was difficult than I thought it would be. Get your fingerprints, get your paperwork notarized, sit through a class for a few hours, shoot 36 rounds at a silhouette and you're done. The shoot was almost a joke: 12 shots from 5 yards, 12 shots from 2.5 yards, 12 shots from 1 yard. There were actually a couple people that had to do the shoot twice to qualify.

After I explained to my wife all of the things that I see in the news, and that I couldn't bear the thought of not doing everything I could to protect her, she understood my position more. She was also scared that if a bad guy knew I had a gun, we would be a target. I explained that having a concealed weapon means that they don't know I have a gun, and if they did figure it out, we'd be less likely to be targeted. I think she'll come around.

·
Registered
10,192 Posts
Congrats! My wife felt the same way. She thought it was just a phase but I think she has learned to accept it. We don't live in a high crime area so she doesn't really understand, but..all it takes is once.

Hopefully your wife will grow into it and join you at the range!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well i was gonna say Fl permits take for ever now their is a 2 month back lot to process... if she gives you the excuse "that a cops job" say " well i choose to carry since i cant carry a cop with me everywhere" worked for me... my wife gave me a thinking look and that was it she knew i was right lol.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
it took me 4 month to get my permit in the mail after i mailed in my paperwork and finger prints
i guess florida is one of the few states that doesnt require you to shoot at a target to qualify

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Well good job. You know there is people who say I am paranoid, but when we were told last year that the stock market, housing and the over-all govt was going to crash, they said "your paranoid".. now look at it! As the saying goes; "Its better to have one and not need it, than to need it and not have one".

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Congratulations. CCW is a great responsibility, and if you treat it as such you will be just fine. It took a little while for my wife to come around. Just be patient, understanding, and answer her question and doubts no matter how silly they seem. My wife is now very glad that I carry and do what it takes to keep our family safe.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
After the shock wears off I would recommend slowly introducing her to the gun with the intent of getting out on the range to squeeze a few off. When I first started years ago my wife was uneasy but today will put a 3" group at 100yrds with my A/R.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She's already a good shot and familiar with guns... I think it's just the idea that I may one day have use it on another person. Like I said, she'll come around.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Congrats on getting your permit! Once you get comfortable with packing your firearm concealed, your wife will not even notice unles she watched you put it on or feels it on your body.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Congrats on passing the class. Doesn't sound like the shooting portion was very difficult.

I'm planning to take the Ohio CCW class in a month. Hope to pass it easily, then get my permit within a few weeks. Doesn't seem to take that long here these days once you submit the application.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts