Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I traded for a kimber custom II today, it's functionally in tact, cosmetically, not so much. It's got a little bit more than just some holster wear on it. What would y'all suggest for having the slide redone? I am considering having it professionally done in cerakote. Are there any other ways of refinishing the slide? Lastly, I know what msrp says, and what new is on gunbroker, but what type of value would this thing hold? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Cerakote is one of the best finishes you can get, i don't know of anybody off hand that does it, a quick google search would find one quick. I've duracoated my 1911 with a DIY kit from midwayusa. It has worked out very well. James who is a sight supporter and has a web site at xdguy.com does very good work too. You should be able to do a search of him on google to see his work aswell!

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Without seeing your guns condition it's hard to put a value on it but used Kimbers aren't known for holding value well. Figure around 70% of new price if in good shape as a starting guess.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant to post pictures, it's been a long week. Hopefully next weekend I can hit the range with it. It should be really fun to shoot with how heavy it is.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Looks like if your going to do it , the whole thing will need to be done, just the slide would make the lower look worse. Me, I like the look of a well used gun

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me personally would go with Ion Bond or Robar NP3.

I've never heard of these. I'll have to look into them

Depending on funds, I wouldn't mind having the whole gun done. When I get back home tomorrow, I'll probably take the polishing wheel to the barrel, slide release, and safety

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My budget is a little depleted at the moment(engagement ring set me back a bit). Is like to stay under $150 I mostly just want to bring it's value up.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Speaking from experience, aftermarket finishes do little to nothing to boost value. If you're on a budget, maybe a spray and bake from Brownells is in order.

I have seen a few and they look really good. Im not sure how they hold up though, but from my observation, you probably dont plan on making it a work horse. So this may be the way to go.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Listen to Silva, an aftermarket finish isn't going to help your value.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I've never heard of these. I'll have to look into them

Depending on funds, I wouldn't mind having the whole gun done. When I get back home tomorrow, I'll probably take the polishing wheel to the barrel, slide release, and safety
You will likely end up paying more to have the gun refinished than its value. I would shoot that one awhile and if you like it look to buy something new,

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You will likely end up paying more to have the gun refinished than its value. I would shoot that one awhile and if you like it look to buy something new,
If I do one color, I could do the gun myself with cerakote and not spend a fortune. Two of my roommates are aircraft body technicians(they bring home the best chemical products) and paint quite a bit. If I'm going to go in depth as a project, I'll probably put a few parts on it that I prefer, and buy another xds to carry.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
If you want to spend the money, go with Cummings Custom Refinishing. Just to refinish the slide will run you at least $100. As others have stated, it really isn't worth it for a beat up Custom II. If you scored a beat up Nighthawk or similarly priced custom 1911 for ~$1k, yeah, it would be worth it. In your case, if you're really concerned about the looks, clean it up with some steel wool, degrease it, and refinish it yourself with one of the non-bake on finishes from Metal Protective Coating Firearm Lubricants Industrial Coatings Just my $.02.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another thing, remember that Kimber barrels are 'in the white' carbon steel, they will readily rust if not thoroughly protected. I found this out the hard way with a 'Stainless' Pro Carry II.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I love 1911s with some "character". I think they make it look timeless. Very few pistols look as good when beat up.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,835 Posts
As others have said, refinishing will not enhance value; you will not get the money you invest in the refinish back.

That being said--cerakote is good; so is nitride (melonite).

And, finally, as far as value--I paid $450 for a Custom II in similar condition about two years ago. Given slight changes in market conditions...I'd ballpark yours as $550, tops.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts