Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my first gun two weeks ago. It's a new 5" XD45, black. I followed the instructions of the dealer and the manual and only loaded one round in the mag at a time until my comfort level increased. This method caused the slide to lock open both times I tried to chamber the round. It was difficult and a little nerve wrecking to dislodge. The guy I was shooting with suggested the lack of tension in the mag spring was to blame. Loading 3 or more rounds in the magazine, it never jammed. Like a lot of things, I'm probably overly concerned. However, I would appreciate you all lending your input. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Hello, Welcome Ben,

Sounds like you may have pushed up on the Lever and accidently locked your slide back. Happens alot to some people while their shooting(thumb pushes up on slide release and wham slide is locked back).

If this is youir frist handgun, i'd suggest investing into some lessons to get you started off the right way with your new 45.Better to start off the right way , instead of having to correct bad habits down the road.

Good Luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@stuz92 Thank you. My first lesson at a range is tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait! Then I'm going to another buddy's house next week. Tough to tell exactly how well she's sighted in shooting beer bottles. :D

·
Registered
588 Posts
Bad form to shoot glass. Be considerate and try cans if you want something to respond when hit. They jump up in the air if you put the round right under them. Golf balls are also fun, especially with a .22. Have fun shooting but take your trash home when finished, so shooters won't get a bad name – worse than we have now, that is. :D Welcome to the fraternity!

CX

·
Registered
34 Posts
@stuz92 Thank you. My first lesson at a range is tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait! Then I'm going to another buddy's house next week. Tough to tell exactly how well she's sighted in shooting beer bottles. :D
Got to hate it when the beer bottles attack.....lol.

When I was an AF Cop, we trained on the Beretta 9MM. Our first bunch of rounds were shot with a double tap...two in the mag at a time, re load and repeat. Kind of boring, but developed a good trigger pull without dealing with burning through a whole clip.

Give it a "shot".

Welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

When I was an AF Cop, we trained on the Beretta 9MM. Our first bunch of rounds were shot with a double tap...two in the mag at a time, re load and repeat. Kind of boring, but developed a good trigger pull without dealing with burning through a whole clip.

Give it a "shot".

Welcome!

I like this idea and will definitely try it tonight. Thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Give it a "shot".

Welcome!
first off, I'd like to say thanks for your service.
second I'm in the navy so sorry if a squid steps on a couple toes.
we do it a little different with the M9(we use 6 rounds per mag) and use 2 mags per cycle of fire. the M9 is a single/double action gun where the xdm is just single.
the AF probably had you shoot cycles of 2 so that you could get used to the difference between that first shot(double action) and the second shot(single action).
I kinda wish they would have had us qual that way but I digress. I'm just saying that probably wouldn't increase trigger skills with an XD any faster than loaded to 13.
that's just my personal opinion and is open to constructive criticism

1 - 8 of 8 Posts