Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, so today ajamesp51 and I go to his outdoor range. It's hot as hell out there, I'm sweating up a storm and there's no shade. I'm using his Gen 1 HS2000 9mm and shooting some steel silouettes. I can't seem to hit anything and finally I squeeze the trigger and "bing" it falls. I aim at the next, squeeze and hit it as well, and then yell "OW!" I look down and see red seeping through my shirt. I lift it up to see 2 small holes in my chest. There's also a cut on my right shin.

Ricochets...aah the joy. I'd never had this happen before. It looks like it just hit, fragmented, and bounced off for 2 of the cuts, but on the 3rd there was a small piece of shrapnel visible under the skin. So, after finding out that my insurance policy picks up on Monday (quit a job on Friday, new one starts Monday) and that it will cost my folks $450 to put me on their plan, we decide to do some self surgery. We go to target to get the necessary supplies and his fiance shots up with a needle/alcahol. So we dig around for a while and viola! A nice little piece of shrapnel comes out of my chest. Then we clean it and dress it (not much dressing required). And all of this in the Target bathroom. Now it's in a little pill bottle, my own trophy!

It's an interesting experience when you somehow manage to shoot yourself. James reminded me that "the moral of the story? ALWAYS wear safety goggles, because there's no telling what's going to fly your way!

Thanks to James for keeping me calm in my time of confusion and exhaustion! I'm just sorry I ruined his time at the range!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
thats ****in awesome
james yuo do to much stuff, but its a good hting

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Calling Dr. ajames... Calling Dr. ajames, your wanted in surgery. STAT! Please report to the bathroom immediately. By the way do you have a license? :wink:

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Whats scary was when he passed out from the heat, at the same time as bleeding at the range. A few seconds out that were scary. But after sitting down and resting we were able to safely leave. No big problems but yes a reminder everyone were protection if it would have hit your eyes they would have been gone. My day wasn't ruined but we will have to go back and shot more shotgun and the AR.

How many others have ever gotten pinged from spatter.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Ahhh. The joys of shooting steel targets.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I shoot steel silhouette targets at 10 yards and occasionally feel a fragment landing on my skin. Never been cut though. Nice job ajamessp51. Didn't anybody take digital pic's of the procedure?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Kabob Glad to see you doing well ... Scold you, I am an ER nurse, you should never neglect a visit for financial reasons, there are to many resources to assist you in your time of need if it is an emergency, which this could have easily been (glad it was not!!) Plus, millions go to the ER and abuse the system and get off scot free, if all else fails take your turn in that line (hard to do with our hard working pay as you go roots, I know) but you deserve the best in medical care when needed, and it is available!!!

Rant off, glad your ok and aJames was on the scene to render aid, praise!!!

Be safe, Big Jake

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
bigjakern said:
Kabob Glad to see you doing well ... Scold you, I am an ER nurse, you should never neglect a visit for financial reasons, there are to many resources to assist you in your time of need if it is an emergency, which this could have easily been (glad it was not!!) Plus, millions go to the ER and abuse the system and get off scot free, if all else fails take your turn in that line (hard to do with our hard working pay as you go roots, I know) but you deserve the best in medical care when needed, and it is available!!!

Be safe, Big Jake
I avoided going through the front door of teh ER like the plague when I couldn't afford teh med. insurance. I either stayed home and delt with whatever, or...
Since I work at the hospital as a security rep., I would go in the back door and talk to the nurse practitioner and explian my insurance situation. She would get me looked at by an ER doc (all of wich I know very well), and then she would write me a perscription for whatever I needed. This past Friday night was my first time going to the ER as an actual patient and I must say, the care was wonderful. My hat is off to people like you Big Jake.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I was hit 2 weeks ago in the temple, it didnt cut me but it sure spun my head around. All in all, Ive been hit 4 times ths year during matches, only once did I bleed after being hit in the forehead. We had another guy hit in the knee and had about 25% of the bullets copper jacket imbedded in the skin.

Wear those saftey glasses and drink LOTS of water out there guys!

You da man James! Glad all is well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
WOW, THAT'S NUTS!

Glad you're okay Kabo! Nice combat skills Ajames!!:lol:

I think my target practice will have to hold off till I'm able to pick up some health insurance after mine runs out at the beginning of next month...

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ajamesp51 said:
Whats scary was when he passed out from the heat, at the same time as bleeding at the range. A few seconds out that were scary. But after sitting down and resting we were able to safely leave. No big problems but yes a reminder everyone were protection if it would have hit your eyes they would have been gone. My day wasn't ruined but we will have to go back and shot more shotgun and the AR.

I've been dinged by spatter as well as a little shrapnel from my friends shotgun blowing up in his hand. I may not always wear ears, but I ALWAYS wear eyes.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
bigjakern said:

Be safe, Big Jake
Hey bigjakern is it true ER people work 100 hour work weeks?

·
Registered
298 Posts
glad your ok,

i have been hit by splatter as far out as 25 yards from steel targets.

i never suggest shooting steel with low velocity anything or closer than 25 yards,

i have had my arm sprayed with splatter, a riccochet hit me under the eye low velocity but it broke skin, my buddy got thumped in the jewels with 230 ball that bounced back. uncountable splatter from an indoor range.

but all in all nothing but minor scratches and less than beesting pain.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok! Nice work there Dr. Ajamesp51!!!
I trust Dr. Ajames didn't perform any other medical examinations or experiments on you during your treatment in Target (Must have been a Super Target, the have everything there!). :p :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
+1 on they eyes (and ears while we're at it)

I've been there as well, a .22 came back and got me in the calf while shooting prone at about 75yds. I've also spattered myself a few times in the knuckles and lower arms, never anything serious. At a department range once one of my shots to a dinger had the jacket split off, go over a berm and imbed itself in the chin of our newest SWAT guy while he was in a shoot house. I just hope my shots are that lucky if I ever need them outside of training!

Glad to see you're ok, Camelbaks are a gift from God and are usually cheap on Ebay.

MC

·
Registered
229 Posts
03RangerXLT said:
bigjakern said:

Be safe, Big Jake
I would go in the back door and talk to the nurse practitioner and explian my insurance situation. She would get me looked at by an ER doc (all of wich I know very well), and then she would write me a perscription for whatever I needed.
And you should recieve that professional courtesy. I try to give all the LEO's in town a break when I can, you never know when we might need it the other way around!! Thanks for the praise, made my night ... I am at work now!!

OEFM - I average 60-72 hours per week right now, but I here of some that work at different hospitals and can pull down 100+ on occasion ... Not for me, but when the money is hot, bonuses+OT+Regular time, some just can not say no, and I am one of those from time to time.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Accessories, information, gunsmithing, refinishing, and now minor surgery and field trauma care. What will James offer next? Do we need a poll?

I've never shot steel targets competitively, but when I have shot them, I never shoot them from straight on, just to minimize the chance of splashback.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
bigjakern said:
And you should recieve that professional courtesy. I try to give all the LEO's in town a break when I can, you never know when we might need it the other way around!! Thanks for the praise, made my night ... I am at work now!!
The nurses I saw at that hour of the night I didn't know, but the doc I knew from day shifts. I was glad I had my hospital identification on when I went to the ER that night/morning because I think it got me through triage faster and more attention from my nurse. I love proffesional courtesy : )

Also, at the time I was in there, some of the security staff was dealing with an idiot in the ER so of coure they all had to come razz me. Oh well lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts