Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me or does it seem like a patch holder is a waste of time and patches compared to using a jag.

I was cleaning a 45 and put through about 7 or 8 patches. I held the barrel up to the light and could see all this carbon around the grooves inside the barrel. I attached a patch to a jag, pushed it through and BAM! That thing came out as though I didn't run any patches before. Held the barrel back up and it was as clean and shiny as new.

Maybe some more experienced people can tell me. Is it better to use a patch on a jag versus a patch holder? Just seems like it gets all the buildup from around the grooves a lot better.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Patches are mostly use like mops, they get the surfaces wet with your cleaning agent and take the initial grunge out.

Jags are really good @ the last step of cleaning to get all the remaining crap off.

Patches hold more cleaning agent than brushes.

Patches also work good for that light coat of oil some choose to have in their barrel.

Patches and jags both have respectable places in the cleaning process.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Patches are mostly use like mops, they get the surfaces wet with your cleaning agent and take the initial grunge out.

Jags are really good @ the last step of cleaning to get all the remaining crap off.

Patches hold more cleaning agent than brushes.

Patches also work good for that light coat of oil some choose to have in their barrel.

Patches and jags both have respectable places in the cleaning process.
Yeah that makes sense, thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Some folks use a soaked patch on a patch holder to coat the barrel with solvent. Then they go on to another part of the firearm, or leave it sit for an hour or so, to loosen up the gunky stuff.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some folks use a soaked patch on a patch holder to coat the barrel with solvent. Then they go on to another part of the firearm, or leave it sit for an hour or so, to loosen up the gunky stuff.

Yeah that makes sense and then after it's all broken up use the jag with patch to remove all the loose debris. Just doesn't make sense to use a patch holder with 15-20 patches and keep pushing it through until the patch is white.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts