Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here goes - so far I've rolled some 9mm handloads using mixed headstamp, once-fired brass, Unique, CCI 500 SP primers and 124gr Berry's plated. It's been a while, but I believe it started running well in all my pistols at around the 5.1gr mark. Accuracy was consistent, and absolutely no worse than any factory load I've shot.

Now, I've got a selection of components I can choose from, and I'd like some experienced handloaders to chime in on where they'd start developing a load for range plinking out of a variety of pistols. I do have a chrono I can run the loads over for the additional data needed to determine if I'm on the low or high end of things.

Bullets:
Hornady HAP, 115gr
Sierra JHP, 115gr (#8110)
Unknown JHP, 115gr (look a lot like Sierras)
Berry's Plated, 124gr RN
Berry's Plated, 124gr HBRN
Kead Mfg LRN, 125gr
Xtreme Plated, 147gr RN

Powder:
WSF
W231
Titegroup
Unique
Bullseye
Blue Dot

Primers:
Winchester SP, Magnum
Winchester SP
CCI 500 SP

Sooo, lemme know if you see anything that matches your pet load. I know to avoid shooting plated and lead out of my G19, but I may still experiment a bit just to see if there's any adverse affects. Thanks!

·
Banned
0 Posts
Just picking at random but 147 Xtreme plated RN(can be loaded to jacket data), Bullseye or 231 and CCI 500 SP. I am finally about to start rolling some 9mm.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Berrys 124 RN with the 231 and cci 500 sounds about right to me.
Not sure why you'd use the mag primers for 9mm.
From what I've tried in the blue dot it was less than stellar for the 9mm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had issues with lighter lead bullets and Titegroup powder. That stuff is so powerful per volume I can't dial it in at that low a volume. I moved up to 135gr bullets and have had a lot more success using Titegroup powder and Winchester Small Pistol primers. I can shoot 115gr. generic JHP bullets all day with Titegroup.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounding like I have a lot of options, as expected.

Curious as it may sound, I'm thinking about loading up the Xtreme 147's with a middle-of-the-road load of Blue Dot. Being that it's a slow burning powder in the 9mm, it will also have a lot of case fill, and as long as I keep it in mid-high range of the load data, it should work fine.

I also have 5lbs of the stuff! :lol:

I am also chomping at the bit to try out those HAP bullets, since they've got a great reputation for accuracy. Anyone have any experience loading them or the Hornady XTP's with the powder/primers I've got?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Depends on what you are trying to do,but WSF is a great choice with all bullet wts. Think of it as a better metering Unique. The xtp is one of the most accurate bullets I have fired in the 9mm, the HAP should be its equal. Load to the longest Oal that runs in your gun. With unique or WSF, 5.1-5.5gr should find you a sweet spot.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Sounding like I have a lot of options, as expected.

Curious as it may sound, I'm thinking about loading up the Xtreme 147's with a middle-of-the-road load of Blue Dot. Being that it's a slow burning powder in the 9mm, it will also have a lot of case fill, and as long as I keep it in mid-high range of the load data, it should work fine.

I also have 5lbs of the stuff! :lol:

I am also chomping at the bit to try out those HAP bullets, since they've got a great reputation for accuracy. Anyone have any experience loading them or the Hornady XTP's with the powder/primers I've got?
Ive loaded alot of xtp's for 9mm but ive always used hs6 for powder and mostly used cci 500 primers.

·
Registered
298 Posts
GT Jon

I was looking in the Hornady #9 reloading manual and I cannot find the 115gr Hornady Action Pistol (HAP) bullets. They have 121gr and 125gr HAP and they are .356 diameter by the way. They have no data for HAP in 9mm luger either.

They do have data for Blue Dot for 124gr FMJ-RN and FMJ-FP also 147gr FMJ-RN-BT and of course all their XTP bullets.

The 147gr 9mm luger (.355") load with Blue Dot is:
[email protected]
[email protected]
C.O.L for 147gr FMJ-RN-BT= 1.165"
147gr HP XTP=1.100"
This is Hornady #9 manual data and if anyone uses this data they need to read the hornady #9 reloading manual for all the warnings before reloading.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I use TG for my Berrys 125/147 sub sonic loads 3 grns 115 4.0 grns
Having trouble with my 125 lrn. They are 355 and returning them for 356
Works great in my Shield but very bad in my XDs 4.0 9mm. Works ok in the XDs 3.3 9mm

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GT Jon

I was looking in the Hornady #9 reloading manual and I cannot find the 115gr Hornady Action Pistol (HAP) bullets. They have 121gr and 125gr HAP and they are .356 diameter by the way. They have no data for HAP in 9mm luger either.

They do have data for Blue Dot for 124gr FMJ-RN and FMJ-FP also 147gr FMJ-RN-BT and of course all their XTP bullets.

The 147gr 9mm luger (.355") load with Blue Dot is:
[email protected]
[email protected]
C.O.L for 147gr FMJ-RN-BT= 1.165"
147gr HP XTP=1.100"
This is Hornady #9 manual data and if anyone uses this data they need to read the hornady #9 reloading manual for all the warnings before reloading.
Looks like it doesn't deviate at all from the 7th Edition manual I've got in front of me as I type this. Also, when looking for HAP data, you can also use XTP data since the bullets are essentially the same, but certain finishing processes are left off of the HAP to make them a bit less expensive than the full-house XTP bullets. Of course it goes without saying that the HAP is for target shooting only, and will not produce the same results on a human target as the XTP.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Depends on what you are trying to do,but WSF is a great choice with all bullet wts. Think of it as a better metering Unique. The xtp is one of the most accurate bullets I have fired in the 9mm, the HAP should be its equal. Load to the longest Oal that runs in your gun. With unique or WSF, 5.1-5.5gr should find you a sweet spot.

I agree with Fred except that I don't use Unique or WSF. From the powders/bullets you have listed, WSF would be my personal pick to start with anyway, even the 147s. W231 is useful for target type loads. I tested 124 gr. NOSLER JHPs on Thursday over a 5.0 gr. charge, CCI-500 with an OACL of 1.122"/28.5mm where 10 rounds averaged 1040 FPS, ES was 15 FPS with a SD of 5 and very good accuracy. A mid-charge of Blue Dot with the plated 147 is not likely to impress, but it is a starting point where Blue Dot really performs at its best at higher pressure to get a more complete burn. As an example, Lyman lists a MAX Charge of 5.9 grs. to get 980 FPS at 31,200 CUP with their #356637 cast bullet loaded short at 1.058" OACL. Obviously, using a longer OACL is going to result in lower pressure depending on the amount you lengthen by.

As far as primers, I use WSP and CCI-500s interchangeably. No real reason to use the magnum primers unless it's just to use up an excess quantity and then you really need to work up again from a Start Charge. ;)

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input - the mid-charge Blue Dot was only a starting point on my march towards max load where it would actually be useful.

I'm thinking I'll try W231 and some 124gr JHP's I found hanging out in my reloading supplies. The SPM's I've got are just something I bought as a last-ditch supply. Anyone see any problem with developing them as part of this load?

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found a decent online article comparing primer types in 9mm using a 124gr FMJ and W231...

Primers

Still thinking I can develop a load using the WSPM's. Anyone think I'm nuts for trying?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
With all those options I'd be working up all kinds of combinations. There will come a time when some of those powders and bullets won't be available and you will be glad you have multiple options.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, I plan on doing just that, but I was wondering if there was anything in there that others had great success with.

Much load development will be had in the coming month or two. :)

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Sounds like fun. For the record, both of my wife's 9s run well with the Berrys and Hornady bullets you listed combined with 231 and WSF. Not so much with Extreme and Unique was accurate with only 147gr bullets out of her 3" but sucked out of her 5".

Make sure you take good notes when you test and pictures help sometimes when testing a lot of combinations.

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the tips! I'm doing a better job of note taking now - got a monster Google docs spreadsheet with 9mm load data that use the components I have on hand, from trusted sources. Just have to pick one.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Thanks for the input - the mid-charge Blue Dot was only a starting point on my march towards max load where it would actually be useful.

I'm thinking I'll try W231 and some 124gr JHP's I found hanging out in my reloading supplies. The SPM's I've got are just something I bought as a last-ditch supply. Anyone see any problem with developing them as part of this load?
As long as you work the loads up using the mag primer, no issues. Just don't plug a mag primer into a max load developed with std primers. Yes, it can make a diff, but not uniformly across all the powders.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts