Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's quite a few of these threads on here, but that leads me to believe that you don't mind when a newbie shares her/his excitement that they've finally achieved their goal of concealed carry.

I'm new to guns, so did not want to carry until I felt very comfortable w/ my gun. I've got 1200+ rounds through it and it feels very much a part of me now, so yesterday I finally did it.

I planned on going to the range, but had a few errands to run before I could go. As I was packing up my range bag I thought to myself - why not start carrying today instead of packing up the gun - so that's what I did. I was very excited, not really nervous at all, but did find myself doing so many of the things all of you who are more experienced have indicated in other threads are common to new carriers: kept pulling the hem of my t-shirt down to make sure it didn't show, kept feeling for it to make sure it was still where I wanted it, kept looking down to see if it was noticable (although, in MN that doesn't matter so much since I can carry open or concealed). But, I don't think it was noticable at all. In fact, when I was leaving the house my husband asked if I was forgetting my gun (as I usually carry my gun bag separate from the bag I carry my ammo, ear & eye protection, cleaning stuff, etc.), and when I told him I was wearing it, he couldn't even tell when he was looking for it. Overall, I just felt proud of myself for finally taking the step and doing it. I do think, however, that I would feel more comfortable carrying a compact or sub-compact instead of my full size, so I guess it's time to go shopping! :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats. It's a great feeling to know you are protected and at the same time exercising my personal favorite Amendment!

What's your choice of weapon, may I ask?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got an XDm 9mm. I think I'll look for the same model - just go w/ the compact or subcompact for carry.

·
Super Moderator
22,201 Posts
Walmart, Nachos go!

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
It's funny- I used to always think that I was printing horribly when one like line would stick out. You learn to realize that people wouldnt notice if you had a Desert Eagle under an extra small Hollister T-shirt. I thought my Walther PPS in a crossbreed holster and I thought it didn't conceal well enough! Congrats on the first time. Now keep it up!

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
I know there's quite a few of these threads on here, but that leads me to believe that you don't mind when a newbie shares her/his excitement that they've finally achieved their goal of concealed carry.

I'm new to guns, so did not want to carry until I felt very comfortable w/ my gun. I've got 1200+ rounds through it and it feels very much a part of me now, so yesterday I finally did it.

I planned on going to the range, but had a few errands to run before I could go. As I was packing up my range bag I thought to myself - why not start carrying today instead of packing up the gun - so that's what I did. I was very excited, not really nervous at all, but did find myself doing so many of the things all of you who are more experienced have indicated in other threads are common to new carriers: kept pulling the hem of my t-shirt down to make sure it didn't show, kept feeling for it to make sure it was still where I wanted it, kept looking down to see if it was noticable (although, in MN that doesn't matter so much since I can carry open or concealed). But, I don't think it was noticable at all. In fact, when I was leaving the house my husband asked if I was forgetting my gun (as I usually carry my gun bag separate from the bag I carry my ammo, ear & eye protection, cleaning stuff, etc.), and when I told him I was wearing it, he couldn't even tell when he was looking for it. Overall, I just felt proud of myself for finally taking the step and doing it. I do think, however, that I would feel more comfortable carrying a compact or sub-compact instead of my full size, so I guess it's time to go shopping! :D

Good to hear, especially being a woman. Im a strong believer that more women should carry.

Anyways, what type of holster do you carry in?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'm curious, what position do you carry in? I'm trying to convince my wife to at least try CC, but she says she can't find a comfortable position for the gun.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My first was carrying to the range as well. It felt like a really low risk, easy entry into concealed carry because obviously no one would react badly to someone carrying at a gun range. After that I went to dinner and no chaos ensued, and I learned not to worry so much. Since then I've carried often, and I've actually been going out for walks in the neighborhood to get used to moving with the extra weight, and to get some much needed exercise.

·
Premium Member
127,710 Posts
Congratulations! Carry safely.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
congrats! i just bought an xd 9 sc and i love it. it's my first gun so i don't have much to compare it to other than shooting my friend's but it conceals well. i'm going to be getting my ccw soon and am encouraging my wife to do the same. it's good to see women doing this because i think it will help to 'nudge' her along.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Congrats, most of the time people do not print except when bending over. That is why we learn to squat to pick things up. 90% of the people are wandering around and wouldn't see it anyway. I make sure all my tee shirts are XL or bigger now and in darker colors. Works for me.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Congrats! I was nervous in the first week. After that, I gradually adjusted and found a comfort zone where I know it's concealed and comfy. It's part of my daily routine now, just like my keys and wallet - always with me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
congrats. I had my permit for about a month now but have no reason to carry it frequently. I will when my wife flies out to be with me.

One day I did carry it and it wasn't too bad since I have a LCP so it is like what others have said that you tend to forget you have it. Plus, I had a round chambered.

·
Banned
1,155 Posts
congrats. I had my permit for about a month now but have no reason to carry it frequently. I will when my wife flies out to be with me.

One day I did carry it and it wasn't too bad since I have a LCP so it is like what others have said that you tend to forget you have it. Plus, I had a round chambered.
Very bad decision and a bad habit. If you have a permit then you should ALWAYS carry where legal. If you pick and choose then don't carry at all. It makes no sense not to.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
340 Posts
You can predict when you'll need it?

you CAN'T??? In FL they have laws that state that if anyone is going to rob or kill you they have to give 24 hour notice so that you can make sure to have your gun on you that day. I thought every state had that :confused:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Very bad decision and a bad habit. If you have a permit then you should ALWAYS carry where legal. If you pick and choose then don't carry at all. It makes no sense not to.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
It's their personal preference. Who are you to tell them "If you pick and choose then don't carry at all" ?????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts