Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my CAI Polish AKMS out to the range and put two magazines, 20 rounds each, into a 75 yard target :). My results:

1st magazine - didn't adjust sights, shot consistently almost 5 inches below bullseye, but the shots were erratic (I put all 20 down as fast as I could for fun). I was surprised because I thought the recoil would be bad. I loved it. All shots hit the paper (it was a roughly torso-sized target).

2nd magazine - adjusted sights to just below the 100 meter mark (as 100 yards is approximately 91 meters. I had around a 5 inch grouping of 17 rounds just above the bullseye, with the other 3 not far off. I did take my time though.

Both were shot standing.

So, I have gotten past all the BS I was fed by my AR-loving buddies, and I absolutely love this firearm. I was wondering, however, what a step up from this AK variant would be, as I just made $500 smackers from my pistol and have another $300 to add to that from scraps. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I took my CAI Polish AKMS out to the range and put two magazines, 20 rounds each, into a 75 yard target :). My results:

1st magazine - didn't adjust sights, shot consistently almost 5 inches below bullseye, but the shots were erratic (I put all 20 down as fast as I could for fun). I was surprised because I thought the recoil would be bad. I loved it. All shots hit the paper (it was a roughly torso-sized target).

2nd magazine - adjusted sights to just below the 100 meter mark (as 100 yards is approximately 91 meters. I had around a 5 inch grouping of 17 rounds just above the bullseye, with the other 3 not far off. I did take my time though.

Both were shot standing.

So, I have gotten past all the BS I was fed by my AR-loving buddies, and I absolutely love this firearm. I was wondering, however, what a step up from this AK variant would be, as I just made $500 smackers from my pistol and have another $300 to add to that from scraps. Any suggestions?
Lots of ammo.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Already bought 1000 rounds for $150. Academy had a sale the other weekend so I dug in.
Lots of mags. Looks for 20 round mags. They are great for shooting at the range. Perhaps an optic mount. I use Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg Gen 2 top cover mount, but also considering an Ultimak gas tube rail or the Midwest Industries Quad rails.

I have a Polish 1960 milled and a Draco and absolutely love them. I've seen people add rails and optics. For my next one, I've been thinking about an AK-74, preferably an Arsenal SGL-31. It's smaller caliber at 5.45x39.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of mags. Looks for 20 round mags. They are great for shooting at the range. Perhaps an optic mount. I use Texas Weapons Systems Dog Leg Gen 2 top cover mount, but also considering an Ultimak gas tube rail or the Midwest Industries Quad rails.

I have a Polish 1960 milled and a Draco and absolutely love them. I've seen people add rails and optics. For my next one, I've been thinking about an AK-74, preferably an Arsenal SGL-31. It's smaller caliber at 5.45x39.
I have enough magazines too...

I am looking for an AK47/AKM variant only, preferably stamped, not an AK74 variant.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
A nice Arsenal, e.g. SGL21 or SLR-107F 21, those are really nice.

Or

Buy a Saiga and do the conversion yourself... A lot of fun & experience gained, while getting to fully customize the rifle as you want it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Buy a Saiga and do the conversion yourself... A lot of fun & experience gained, while getting to fully customize the rifle as you want it.
Good suggestion! Converting a Saiga is a great way to truly get to know your rifle. Plus your Saiga will always treat you well, especially if you really need it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good suggestion! Converting a Saiga is a great way to truly get to know your rifle. Plus your Saiga will always treat you well, especially if you really need it.
The only problem I have with the Saiga's, including the SLR series, is the lack of interchangeable gut parts with various parts. I want an AKM whose internals are interchangeable with my Pole. The AMD uses a shorter piston rod so that is out the window, and I don't need to spend $800 to be a happy gun owner; that much is evident with my UF, she's my baby.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
What about Inter Ordnance? They make some decent ones.

Arsenal's can sometimes be had for about 600-700 on Bud's Guns, can't go wrong there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts