• Somewhat

• I'm getting there

• Not at all.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not saying the sky is falling, but people get desperate during rough times....people will loose jobs and resort to robbing, etc to get their fix/food, whatever...

Some say keep food stocked along with water and ammo. I personally have started doing this, but only because food has gotten very expensive.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
We have been stocking for a while, still working on the water storage issue. Need to replentish on the ammo stock. I need to take inventory on everything to see where we stand...

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i asked my survivalist friend about fuel storage...he said to use "stabil" - available in walmart...will extend the life of gas for 2-3 years. i need to stock up on gas...that's very important.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I am not saying the sky is falling, but people get desperate during rough times....people will loose jobs and resort to robbing, etc to get their fix/food, whatever...

Some say keep food stocked along with water and ammo. I personally have started doing this, but only because food has gotten very expensive.
I knew a guy that belonged to some religion that required it's members to keep a years supply of food on hand. Sounded pretty far out there at the time. Not so much now.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I was looking at water the other day and it only has a 2 year shelf life. What do you do after that? Just wondering about if it ended up being real long term... I can kill what we need to eat, but water would be a problem..

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a good amount of 9mm, .223, and 12ga. plus a ton of beer and protien bars. along with flashlights, batteries, GPS, and a couple cases of water. i figure that would get me and my girlfriend through a few days;)
awesome...now i know who will have the goodies in town!!!! :p

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
You don't need to buy water. Fill up a new rubbermaid trash can and stabile it with bleech accordingly...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I wouldn't say I've got years of supplies but I have enough to buy me enough time to get more. I have several days worth at the worst - enough to get me to a secondary location and to a much larger supply. Enough to barter for what I need and I have enough ammo to hole up if necessary.

I don't think I can honestly prepare for everything - don't have the space or money to get everything. But covering the basics should be enough.

joe

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
So how much ammo do you guys have stocked away? Obviously I would love to have thousands of rounds, but I just can't afford that right now.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Hey, why can't we have a "survival corner" folder. You know, it covers generator, canned food, supplies, solar, long term storage...water etc... ??

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ive got +/- thousand in 7.62x39, about 600 in 9mm...

gun show coming up soon and a trip to JG Sales, so i will have more.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
So how much ammo do you guys have stocked away? Obviously I would love to have thousands of rounds, but I just can't afford that right now.
Had, 1k each cal. (ie .22, 40, 7.62, .308, etc..) I am well below that now. I need to restock... soon.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
i am getting there, I would say I am better off then the average person, but not anywhere where I need to be.

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
I am also getting there ... more food and water are the two I have to get after and soon.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Heading to the store tonight to refresh my canned/boxed/dried food storage. Will pick up a few cases of water and more batteries.

I have plenty of ammo for everything i have....could always use more but food is more important for now. Debating buying a few of those green water containers sold in the wal-mart camping aisle.

Anyone know if those are gas approved? They look like the red gas ones but bigger, and green.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Preparing for Ike was a real eye opener. It permitted me to take an inventory of how prepared I was in relation to how prepared I "actually" was. Preparing for a hurricane is about as real as it can get to a real shtf scenario. I thought I was prepared but there is still more to be done. Especially prior to the 'next' hurricane.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts