Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I feel fine ;).

Well kinda fine :). Interestingly enough living on SoCal sometime in November of last year I started hitting some notes and making more serious plans in case something happened. I mean I always had food supply, water supply, extra gas, generator. If something happened and I lost the house, I could have lived in my yard for a while.

Then the virus came, and folks started panic buying. I was fairly set on everything except pork belly, so I stocked up and smoked two slabs. I mean who wants to ride out any sort of a tragedy without bacon, right????

I have to say that for a while things were looking pretty grim and as a slight turn towards straightaway was being made, the other shoe dropped and the civil unrest came. I mean really????

So where am I going with this? Well I never was into ARs but halfway through the virus issue I realized that next to the 870 and all my ww2 rifles it would be good to have something that uses a modern cartridge that might be easier to obtain (yes I have supplies but supplies tend to run out at some point and it would be nice to have something easy to replenish).

So I made an adjustment in my armaments and got me an AR15 in 5.56. Then I realized that while I have my xd45 and I like carrying it, I like 1911s better. Unfortunately I get more training with my XD so for me the middle ground is XDs ;) Already having the 3.3 45 one I realized I have a hole that needs to be addressed - I need the xds 45 in 4". Much to my surprise xds in 4" was discontinued. Now granted I can see why - the 3.3 is more concealable and if you go to the 4" why not 1911 or a double stack. My personal preference is single stacks though and I figure if I need more then 14 rounds (6+1 and 7 spare) or 21 (with 2 spare mags) I'm in real doodoo..... Also the upside is that if it's a double gun day (xds 4 and 3.3) I can have same mags for both ;)

So while not panic buying but making the right moves (sold two guns, bought two more expensive guns and came out even cause resale value went up in CA) I'm scratching my head wondering that with all my training I haven't made these moves and plans earlier....

Anyone in the same position? Realizing that the plans they though they have really weren't working out too well and new plans had to be made? Whether they'd be fun, ammo, supplies or something else?

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Not directly related to the recent events, but my prepping model changed when one year I came to realize I could no longer hump my bug-out bag, and had trouble focusing my weapons at formerly long ranges. So made the transition to a camping trailer, and sold my scoped rifles for a nice shotgun. My mobility allowed me to avoid the crazy politicians and now the crazy people. I try to blend and be invisible

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I am 80 years old and have never seen anything impact my life as much as this covid-19. I don't think things are going to return to normal for quite a while, if ever. It wouldn't surprise me if people start fighting for food soon. Crime is going to escalate in the big cities and it's already started in Chicago.
Tough times are ahead co we all need to start preparing now, because it is coming soon.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
that consisted of hose clamping a long skinny screwdriver onto me 30 ort 6 barrel by the way.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Wisdom from Remus at Woodpile Report
July will tell the truth about the economy. I've chosen November as the month of general truth, whether the years following will be of manageable coping, of unexampled disaster, or something in between.

If you read about the experiences of Ferfal out of Argentina at The Modern Survivalist ... you'll generally want a reliable handgun when out, and long gun(s) for home.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Couldn't tell by your post if you got the 4” or not. If not Buds still has them:

Thanks- ordered it.... took forever for them to ship it.

·
Registered
4,681 Posts
I am not a huge "prepper" but am prepared for things that may come.... more or less.

In the firearms department, really, everything that has been added to the family has been preparing for time like we are seeing now. Except for wanting something in maybe a 6.5 creedmore or something for longer range, we have what we need for taking care of ourselves.

Our biggest problem, since we evacuated for hurricane michael back in '18, and after a month without power/water etc.... we never really rebuilt that supply since we are in what we thought of as temporary housing. .... Oops. Hope we can rectify that before the zombie apocalypse really happens.... should still be some twinkies around someplace, right?? :)

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Our biggest problem, since we evacuated for hurricane michael back in '18, and after a month without power/water etc.... we never really rebuilt that supply.....
Oh, THANK YOU.....🙏

That's something that I'd not considered until just now.....

Well, here goes the fun money for the next few months: I need to calculate how much bank I need in order to re-stock, if ever necessary.

Thank you for posting-up your hard-won experience. (y)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Living in earthquake world I always have good supply of food and water stashed at various locations around the property including tents and sleeping bags in case the house collapses so I'm good there.

Seems though the reality of law and order is the only new change. I always was ready for let's call them marauders wanting my stuff (ala Katrina) and wasn't expecting today's reality.

Sad all around....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Having more time on my hands I looked through my first aid kits and realized that most of the supplies inside were expired and I was deficient in couple areas as well... So it was time to refresh and upgrade :). Adding to a list of to do items....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm getting whole bunch of learning experiences here this month :D There was a scheduled power outage today in my area, so I rolled out the generator which supplies power to the fridges and some lights throughout the house.

As it happens not all the critical devices lay on the circuits that the generator covers. One of the ones that it turns out was not - was the cable modem and the main access point for the house. Now that wasn't the end of the world as it sits on a UPS, but as it turns out the UPS battery which I swear I was just replacing, was kicking the bucket...

Another issue was that my fish tank UPS seems to be on its last legs as well....

So lessons learned - moved the UPS for the modem and wifi access point over to the other outlet so that once the generator kicks in it will stop beeping and will allow me to function longer.....

Ordered a replacement battery for the fish tank UPS and a new UPS for the modem/access point......

You'd figure I would have the generator circuits better figured out, but in my defense, they were installed this march and I haven't had a chance to play with how it's all setup yet.

And the last - semi funny one - all my alexa devices which I use to control some lights turned out to be on outlets that had no power.... had to move one over so that I could turn the lights off around the house.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts