Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an opportunity to do some more training with a local instructor for "Advanced Handgun Techniques"..... started with my Glock 23 since it is a regular, if not every-day, carry weapon.... um.. maybe not so much anymore.

On the range, I was getting multiple fail to eject problems. While, yeah, sure it was good practice to clear the failure, it was not exactly confidence building!!

While some guys love their Glocks and say they will "eat" anything, it isn't the case with mine and I have been getting more and more fail-to-eject problems. When working with the instructor, he's telling me tecnique looks ok. And NO, am not limp-wristing it!!!! A gunsmith is saying that while it looks like it has plenty of use, the early generation G-23 shows no obvious problems.... there is obviously some disagreement between that Glock and myself...

After the second or third exercise with continued problems, switched to my XDM and my Kahr, and had ZERO failures of any sort. Accuracy is significantly better with the XDM than the G-23 as well.... always a nice thing!! :D

So, as soon as time permits, looks like the G-23 is going for sale/trade. Can't wait to add either a XDMc or a XD40SC to the family!! (And besides, gives me reason to do a little more shopping with some of our sponsers!!) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not to sound like a smart *** or anything but what were you using for ammunition? Any other modifications to the GLOCK?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Not to sound like a smart *** or anything but what were you using for ammunition? Any other modifications to the GLOCK?
most firearms schools/classes/ranges only allow certain types of ammo. reloads or a particular brand with substandard reputation would most likely have been removed from the course. plus I'm sure the instructor would have asked if he any suspicion that it was ammo

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not to bash this thread - But something is clearly wrong either with technique (doubtful from the sounds of it)

or with the firearm itself, get er check out by the smithy.

While not to bash technique.... Technique is important...

But I can shoot just about any firearm upside down or sideways one handed (joking) without any Failure issues, so while I can't say whats going on with the firearm..its definitely something.

·
Registered
942 Posts
shoot what works, sounds like the XDM works for you.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Things like how many rounds has it fired, and how often have springs been changed need to be asked. Was the extractor damaged due to +1ing the gun by droping a round in and letting the slide slam home? That could damage or break the extractor. Could be over lube and buildup of carbon and brass in the extractor channel.

There are plenty of things that make once very reliable guns go south. Just like tires, oil and brakes on a car. They need to be maintained and replaced all the time to make it work proper.

Weapon history and round count and is it over lubed or +1ed wrong is a couple questions that need answering. If it was abused then the XDm will meet the same demise.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I am having failure to feed w/ 147gr in my G19. But it sounds like you may want a new extractor spring, or a new extractor even. Maybenjust break down the slide, remove the extracor & firing pin & take a q-tip to it and remove all the muck. I have a HK USP that had a shaved down extractor (bought it used), replaced it, no issues.

But a Glock is Not indestructable. If you cannot count on it for battle, buy something else. People are always looking for a new handgun to "fit them better", while I have no issues what-so-ever, the first thing you need in a carry gun is RELIABILITY, no matter what brand it is.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Shoot what works for ya. I would get the 23 checked though.
Me too..
If you swap that Glock for your XD/XDm, you're gonna miss that Glock trigger over that sloppy XD/XDm trigger.:(

And since this G23 is your so called regular carry weapon, did this issue just start, or has it always had failures?
Smith says it has plenty of use, is that your use or do you buy it used?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I want to see pics of the pistol in question.

Then maybe some of our more knowledgeable members can have a better idea.

As has been said a gazillion times on here. In most cases failures are ammo or user related.

I saw a guy with the same issue at the range awhile back with a G23. And it appeared his extractor had a chunk missing out of it on the bottom of it. But he may have been limp wristing it.

If it's feeding okay I wouldn't think it's the mag springs.

I'm curious about this one.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If this has been you EDC piece and it has always worked in the past, I'd suspect the ammo or maybe something went wrong inside with a spring or extractor.

Limp wristing?

Well...I doubt it. How so? Well, I tried to intentionally make my 2nd gen Glock 22 and 17 jam, by holding it as loose as I could. I literally held the pistols with my thumb and index finger alone. Guess what...no jams at all! In fact, I stopped, because I felt it was unsafe to hold the Glocks THAT loose in the hand, while shooting. Especially with the G22, since it is more snappy than the 17. Sorry...I could NOT make either of my Glocks jam from holding too loosely.

My guess is that if it has been 100% until now...something is broken or worn out. The Glock 23 is not known for being a jam-o-matic.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
It sounds like your Glock has given up the proverbial ghost. It's probably nothing more than a paper weight now..... I'll give you 100 for it ;)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Look carefully at the extractor with a magnifying glass before you sell the gun.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If the extractor does not look chewed up...I'd suspect springs.

I have the original extractors in my 1992 Glock 17 and 1994 Glock 22. I have run tons of ammo through both...especially the G17 with no jams at all.

I even ran the dirty and very hot IMI Israeli 9mm through the G17. We used to be able to get that stuff very cheap at gun shows. No problems and today, it still eats anything.

Both my G17 and G22 have seen tons of steel cased filthy ammo and again...no problems.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Like I said, my HK had a chip in the extractor, that was the issue I had since I bought it used.
Probably not ammo related on a used & prior functioning Glock, but probably IS either a spring or two, or just a crud filled space. Take the slide completely apart, remove the extractor & take some q-tips and solvent to it. Not that, go to wolffgunsprings and upgrade to new springs. That should almost definitely fix it.

Like said above, it is hard to intentionally hold a glock "wrong" to make it malfunction...unless it's a Gen 4 ;)

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Are the Gen 4 Glock 23's having similar problems? I was thinking about trading XDm for one

Keep the XDm and get the Glock. You get soooo little of what a gun is worth on a trade that it makes it worth it to save a little longer and just buy a new gun.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts