Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up an M44 last night, honestly I don't know much about these other than I thought I needed one. All serials matching and I think it says 1943 on the receiver which confuses me cause I thought they didn't make these til '44. No cosmoline on it and looking down the barrel the rifling looked spotless, at least to my untrained eyes. Guess I have to study up on the markings and whatnot, but I'm not too concerned about that stuff yet. Either way it just seems like a cool piece to have in the collection. Didn't have much time last night so only one pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Izhevsk made them from 1943 till 1948
Tula only made them for 1 year.. 1944
I have a Tula m44. it is my favorite mosin. I call it the "little dragon" due to the huge fireball that it produces. My friends dont like standing next to me when I fire it due to the concussion it produces.
www.7.62x54r.net is your freind.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Picked up an M44 last night, honestly I don't know much about these other than I thought I needed one. . .
Sometimes that is all that matters.

kypix

·
Registered
92 Posts
Good for you! I like that! One of those would look nice next to my SKS if you ever think you want to get rid of it.........

J Wett

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
mine didnt have no stinking bayonette!!!
i can cosign on the "heavy" part though.
ugh.

next thing to do now that you have one: buy some bulk rounds and put 20 or 30 downrange with the stock but plate intact.
then wake up the next morning and rotate your right arm.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Fun rifle.

When you go shoot it and it impacts left of your point of aim, try fixing the bayonet in fighting position and shoot again.

A lot of M44's were sighted in with the bayonets forward, and they can average around 3" or more left at 25yds with the bayonet folded if that's the case with your rifle as well.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
ugh.

next thing to do now that you have one: buy some bulk rounds and put 20 or 30 downrange with the stock but plate intact.
You must have an M-38 if there is no pig sticker.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ugh.

Ha! I kept a Pachmayr Decelerator slip on from an old shotgun, fits it quite well. Think I'll use non corrosive rounds for now.

Fun rifle.

When you go shoot it and it impacts left of your point of aim, try fixing the bayonet in fighting position and shoot again.

A lot of M44's were sighted in with the bayonets forward, and they can average around 3" or more left at 25yds with the bayonet folded if that's the case with your rifle as well.

Thanks for the tip. Funny, you'd think they would shoot right with the bayo in.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Ha! I kept a Pachmayr Decelerator slip on from an old shotgun, fits it quite well. Think I'll use non corrosive rounds for now.

Thanks for the tip. Funny, you'd think they would shoot right with the bayo in.
Something to do with barrel harmonics and the crucifix bayonet acting as a muzzle brake on the right hand side of the muzzle, lol.

Like I said, if it shoots left, try flipping the bayonet out before you start drifting sights.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What if I don't want to shoot with the bayo out? I know it may be a little sacrilegious but I'm not fighting in the streets of Stalingrad. Honestly I would have went with an M38 but couldn't find any. Or do they actually keep tighter groups as well with the bayo out? (or I could just get out and shoot the thing!)

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I often see the M44's floating around with the bayonets removed. He may have one of those.
I guess it depends if he has the bayonet bracket on the rifle or not.
If someone removed the bayonette from an m44 I guess thats not a biggie as long as it has the bracket. If they cut the bracket off they turned a $250-300 rifle into a $100 rifle.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What if I don't want to shoot with the bayo out? I know it may be a little sacrilegious but I'm not fighting in the streets of Stalingrad. Honestly I would have went with an M38 but couldn't find any. Or do they actually keep tighter groups as well with the bayo out? (or I could just get out and shoot the thing!)
Mine shot well enough with the bayonet out that I turned it into my deer rifle.

No permanent mods, all original parts still in my possession, I can give specs if you want, I bought my M44 a long while back for the insanely high price of $75 OTD... so I bought 3, kept the best after cleaning the cosmoline and sold the other 2 to family members:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I guess it depends if he has the bayonet bracket on the rifle or not.
If someone removed the bayonette from an m44 I guess thats not a biggie as long as it has the bracket. If they cut the bracket off they turned a $250-300 rifle into a $100 rifle.
You gotta come down my way shopping, or I've got to haul some M44's up your way :), you can still pick nice ones up for under $200 around here.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If your rifle shoot left or right from point of aim, you can drift the front sight with a punch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts