Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a laser bore scope and it partially confirms the sights are having me shoot to the left of the target. At 18', it's about 1" to the left. Which sight do I move and which way. How much should it move?

It also highlights I have a trigger control problem too :( Which explains, why I'm shooting everything to the left, even when I take my time on the trigger.

·
Registered
755 Posts
how long is your sight radius? id start at 1/16 of inch rear sight toward the right or front toward the left

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've used a bore sight that was a fake shell with a laser insert... Not accurate at all, not the first time it's chambered anyway. Load it in a few times to really seat it into the shell & it got better.

~psguardian

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Turn that bore sight, stopping ever 90 degrees, and reverify everything, before doing anything.

Then remove it, reinsert it, and reverify everything again.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
86 the laser bore sighter. Work on trigger control. Take a coupla months' Paxil. Check back in after the Paxil and trigger work. :D

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turn that bore sight, stopping ever 90 degrees, and reverify everything, before doing anything.

Then remove it, reinsert it, and reverify everything again.
Great idea!

I've inserted and removed it without tracking position, and it is always off roughly the same amount.

WRT to sand bags, I used a solid rest, and it shot to the left.

I definitely need to work on trigger control, I can see the dot move every time I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Great idea!

I've inserted and removed it without tracking position, and it is always off roughly the same amount.

WRT to sand bags, I used a solid rest, and it shot to the left.

I definitely need to work on trigger control, I can see the dot move every time I pull the trigger.

Thanks for the suggestion!
The dot moving might mean something ;)

I'm not saying the sights are not off, but ... Have someone else pull the trigger a few times.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know about anyone else when it comes to shooting their XD's, but it took me a couple hundred rounds to stop shooting left. As you suggested for yourself, in my case it was the trigger pull that needed work (and to some extent grip)... You'll figure it out one way or another, and what better excuse to hit the range then reliability testing? ;)

·
Registered
806 Posts
My XDM 4.5" was shooting left forever... I kept telling myself "it's the shooter not the gun..."

I installed a PRP trigger kit at 5k rounds. It still shot slightly left.

I kept practicing and shooting and hoping that one day I would just "figure it out" and learn how to shoot it straight.

Around 8k rounds my buddy got sick of my complaining and drifted my rear sight for me. The next day I shot an IDPA match with a 35 yard target. I thought "No way I'll hit that." I never hit the long targets w/o shooting to the right side. I was very pleasantly surprised when 3 of my 4 shots hit center mass and I didn't lose any points on that stage.

So yeah... I can't say w/certainty that my sights were off. It still may be something I'm doing. After 10k rounds I haven't fixed my problem. So I "adjusted" the gun to my issues, and it sure shoots a heck of a lot straighter now. =)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recognize I have trigger issues... but I did rotate the laser tonight, it was left on 90° rotations... but the funny part, it went from being low to more left to high as I rotated it through the circle.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I recognize I have trigger issues... but I did rotate the laser tonight, it was left on 90° rotations... but the funny part, it went from being low to more left to high as I rotated it through the circle.
That indicates that your laser isn't aligned accurately, to itself, the bore, or both.

Therefore,
Leave the gun alone.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I never assumed laser sighters were 100% accurate. Seeing as how after bore sighting every rifle I own I still have to adjust with a few shots from a solid rest.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never assumed laser sighters were 100% accurate. Seeing as how after bore sighting every rifle I own I still have to adjust with a few shots from a solid rest.
considering that I always shoot it to the left, a friend shoots it to the left, me using a solid rest shoots it to the left, and using a laser bore shows it to the left, I'm thinking it's probably aligned to the left :)

WRT laser bore, if rotating the laser bore 360° creates a small circle with the entire diameter to the left, it indicates two things, first of all it has a slight wobble, and second, it's sighted to the left :) But, that's just me thinking a little bit, silly me!

Guess I'm going to have to do a little trig. Wonder if my neighbor would care if I put a target on his garage to get a little longer sight distance?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd have to agree,move the sight.I don't see the big deal with moving the sight so you hit where your aiming.It is made to be moved.STOCK settings are NOT always the correct settings.I put adjustable sights on most of my guns so I can dial in any load I'm going to shoot.Still work on trigger control and if you start hitting right , guess what < you can move the sight back . Problem solved

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how hard to you have to hit the sight to get it to move? I rapped on it pretty hard a couple of times and it never moved :( Then my brand new borescope laser wouldn't turn on :( Threads are screwed up, gotta love Chinese CRAP.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
how hard to you have to hit the sight to get it to move? I rapped on it pretty hard a couple of times and it never moved :( Then my brand new borescope laser wouldn't turn on :( Threads are screwed up, gotta love Chinese CRAP.
If it's an XD ... Use a 10 lb sledge hammer ... Those sights are beyond tight.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is there a set screw coming from the underside?The biggest thing is to have a block of brass, aluminum, or plastic wedged in the slide to keep from crushing the sides of the slide together.Then put in a vice with good jaw covers. I have brass punches( if my sight tool doesn't fit) hold everything tight so nothing bounces.A couple good rapps usually gets it moving,The main goal is to get it done before smashing a finger.
You took the laser out before hitting it didn't you?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts