Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post will be like many I've seen here, but I am excited. After lurking for sometime the info and knowledge I have gathered here has cemented my decision to purchase an XD as my second gun, XD-40 Service to be exact. (Although it will have to wait till after Xmas, having two kids can drain the funds during the holidays.) Anyway I would like to eventually get into practical shooting (USPSA / IDPA) and am wondering what some basic gear is that I will need, holsters, belts, mag pouches etc. and I figured the combined knowledge of the members here will get me started in the right direction.

Jared

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Good belt I just got a rescomp CR Speed wich will work for uspsa.
Mag pouches I like the blade tech the tech lock rules and they are real cheap for the nice quilty.Any owb holster the cover the trigger gaurd for uspsa I use a Safriland
Look around ad hs2000.com and pistol-gear Great guys (links in my sig.) :D

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Well I would definately get a CR speed belt. As far as holsters and mag pouches, they would depends on the class your going to shoot. With the gun you are choosing, you will be limited to production and limited-10 while still being able to be competative. For production, its hard to beat the Uncle-Mikes double mag holders. For holsters I would go for the Blade-Tech drop offset. If you will be shooting L-10 you can still use this equipment but you may choose to go with adjustable mag pouches such as though made by Safariland or CR speed. You may also choose to enhance your sights although I use the ones that came stock. Dawson makes some very nice adjustable sights that will fit right in.

Congrats on your desicion to buy an XD!

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
The CR Speed Belt is a little pricy for me so my alternative and the one I use at the range, is the Wilderness Instructors Belt. I also use the Blade-Tech OWB Vertical holster and Mag pouch with the Tek-Lok attachment system. Three mags will get you started in IDPA.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your choice of pistols. :)
If you plan on shooting both USPSA and IDPA, choose your gear that you can use in both sports...especially if you have two children to outfit for life.
Both IDPA, and the Production division in USPSA have pretty much the same gear rules and body placement of the gear. If you buy the gear that meets the more restrictive rules of IDPA, you will easily meet the USPSA Production rules. In IDPA you can only have two mag pouches on the belt, while in USPSA you will need a couple more for the higher round count stages. Both sports have limits on the maximum distance holsters and mag pouches can be from the body.
I have a couple of the CR Speed and Safariland type two-piece belts. They are nice and are legal for USPSA, but not for IDPA (unless you only use the outer belt), as with the Dropped and Offset holsters not being legal in IDPA. There are many belt slide holsters that meet the requirements, and the Wilderness Instructor belt is used widely in both sports and is easier on the wallet.
Starting out, try to get the best gear you can afford. Later on if you decide to shoot in the USPSA Limited 10 (L10) division, you can buy the competition race type gear as you need it.
Happy shooting!
Wilderness Belt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After reading info on both websites I do see the differences in both associations. USPSA seems to be more "open" as far as gears, guns etc. I'm just gonna start w/ one, probaly the IDPA, actually because the clubs are closer to where I live. I read the rule book for IDPA and its rather vague on the holsters. Is the Blade-Tech holster legal?

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
The Blade Tek belt slide is leagl. Make sure you are reading the current 2005 IDPA rule book. If you are reading it on the web site, its the most current.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
IMO...The belt is the most important part of the rig. If you don't have a strong and stable platform for your equipment, everything suffers. The Wilderness "CSM" is the best purchase I've made.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As expected you alll have given me a wealth of information.. now I just need to apply it... stay tuned for more questions and thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts