Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has decided that since he never uses his Single Six he's gonna give it to me.

Pics to come when it arrives.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Lucky guy. You will love it.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had his problem. "Oh darn. I haven't fired this pistol in a while... I'll just give it away to my very appreciative and wonderful son."

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
congrats. they are fun guns. i have a "new" model stainless and a 60' something blued old model. i find mine to be VERY accurate, especially with magnums.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
Congrats on the new piece, Nice!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Nice!

I have been rocking my bull barreled 22-45 for over 10 years and the ONLY other 22 pistol I still want is just that - a Ruger Single Six.

Enjoy it....they're very good shooters.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It also came with a .22 Mag cylinder.

Is there anything special I need to know about caring for a blued finish? Any special cleaning tips?

*****Edit*****
I emailed Ruger CS to get the serial number history, original specs, and a hardcopy of the User Manual. They had the history (such as it is) and factory specs back to me in 10 minutes. They also informed me that I didn't include a mailing address on the original mailing so they couldn't send the booklet. Doh!

Model: NR-6
Shipped: December of 1994

This model was shipped with Blued Finish, Rosewood Grips and a 6 1/2" barrel.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
It also came with a .22 Mag cylinder.

Is there anything special I need to know about caring for a blued finish? Any special cleaning tips?

*****Edit*****
I emailed Ruger CS to get the serial number history, original specs, and a hardcopy of the User Manual. They had the history (such as it is) and factory specs back to me in 10 minutes. They also informed me that I didn't include a mailing address on the original mailing so they couldn't send the booklet. Doh!

Model: NR-6
Shipped: December of 1994

This model was shipped with Blued Finish, Rosewood Grips and a 6 1/2" barrel.
Congrats! Great gun.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
as for care of a blued gun, keep it wiped down with a silicone cloth fairly often or a light coat of oil on it to prevent surface rusting.

if some should happen, you can use rem oil and a 0000 steel wool to buff it out if it's not too bad.

I love Ruger SA's.

I think I might get the Single Ten instead of a 22/45 (i've been needing a good .22 pistol for a long time)

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got to use it finally not long ago, and having never owned a revolver I had some questions? (It shot very accurately after I sighted it in from the benchrest at 5yds or so. It was even better when I used non value pack ammo.)

How do I know if my hammer spring is weak? It fired the .22LR 100% but when I examined the brass, the rim notch where it strikes wasn't as deep as I have seen in the .22LR rifles I grew up with.

I expect some differences between them, but how can you tell if you need a new spring? Would there even be a benefit to move to an extra power spring?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Damn, my dad had to expire before I got his guns, and there weren't that many. My son's gonna be in trouble, hehe, I'd have to count them, and I haven't. Congrats on the acquisition.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I wish I had his problem. "Oh darn. I haven't fired this pistol in a while... I'll just give it away to my very appreciative and wonderful son."
Until you have kids of your own, you won't realize that how lucky a man your dad is to have a son he trusts to give one of his guns to. ;) Congrats. Sounds like BOTH of you are fortunate.

I really like shooting .22 WMR out of mine. Don't know how truthful this is but have heard the external ballistics of .22WMR out of a revolver is similar to a .22LR being fired out of a rifle. Lots more 'bang' than when I shoot .22LR out of it.

As for the firing pin marks on your brass IIRC, the firing pin on a Single Six has more of a round 'button' type appearance as opposed to the more rectangular or wedge shaped rimfire pins I have on my other .22 rimfires.

Enjoy it! It's a great gun.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I got to use it finally not long ago, and having never owned a revolver I had some questions? (It shot very accurately after I sighted it in from the benchrest at 5yds or so. It was even better when I used non value pack ammo.)

How do I know if my hammer spring is weak? It fired the .22LR 100% but when I examined the brass, the rim notch where it strikes wasn't as deep as I have seen in the .22LR rifles I grew up with.

I expect some differences between them, but how can you tell if you need a new spring? Would there even be a benefit to move to an extra power spring?
The Single Six uses a transfer bar system, so it might be different than what you remember seeing as you grew up.

Nice gun, mines the same, but stainless.

If you want, pull the right grip and drop one side of the trigger spring ;) ;)

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Nice! I want one!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I inherited a my grandfathers collection of guns when he passed and was left with the original box to a single six and the .22 cylinder. Your post just made me really wish I knew what happened to that gun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts