Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been really considering building a SBR for a while...got the paperwork, just haven't filled it out yet..figured I was waiting until I found an upper.

Then I got yesterday's AIM e-mail...and this was in there.

10.5", DD lightweight CHF barrel with Troy TRX Extreme, and HP/MPI'd bolt group. I'm not thrilled about the YHM flash hider, but that's easy to replace.

Gotta go borrow a pistol buffer from my buddy now...and get the blasted paperwork signed.

SBR, here I come!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
niiiiiiiice

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Oh, and I have heard good things about the phantom flash hider, what's your beef with it? I've thought about getting one but if you have an alternative opinion I'd like to hear it first.

·
Registered
29,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, and I have heard good things about the phantom flash hider, what's your beef with it? I've thought about getting one but if you have an alternative opinion I'd like to hear it first.
I think there's better ones out there...and, I think I'm putting Surefire brake on it anyway.

This puppy is gonna be LOUD.

·
Registered
29,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I think the lower is going to be set up with a MIAD and CTR...and probably a Geselle SSA.

Just trying to decide if I want to go with an Aimpoint Micro or a EoTech for optics...

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I actually like the Phantom and will take donations if you're going to toss it. ;)

I had mine reamed to 11mm inside so I could use it on all of my weapons.

And have used it on a 7.62x39 STG2000 AK, a 6.8 AR, a 5.56 AR, a 5.56 SBR AR, a 9mm MP5K PDW, and on a Lage slowfire uppered Mac 10 machine gun.

I could provide pics of it on all of them if you wanted.

And I can't really tell that a SBR AR's are any louder than a 16 inch carbine.

A good example: 16" postban Bushy on the left, my 8.5" barreled SBR AR on the right

They do have more flash though. With or without a flash hider. (excluding using a silencer--the most effective flash hider in the world ;) )

Congrats on the upper. That is going to look sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll take that flash hider as long as it is a QD one. I have a Phantom suppressor on order and need a 2nd flash hider for my other AR

·
Registered
137 Posts
And I think the lower is going to be set up with a MIAD and CTR...and probably a Geselle SSA.

Just trying to decide if I want to go with an Aimpoint Micro or a EoTech for optics...
EoTech xps2.... Dont F it up!!!! I wanna see full build pics!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
wow I like it man it will look nice when your done i just have a qustion for you is it cheaper to bild it or you just doing it that way so you know you have every thing that you want ?

·
Registered
29,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow I like it man it will look nice when your done i just have a qustion for you is it cheaper to bild it or you just doing it that way so you know you have every thing that you want ?
Both reasons, actually.

By building, you can generally get a better rifle set up exactly the way you want for less than buying a complete rifle...especially if you buy a complete rifle, and start canning the furniture, etc to get what you want.

ETA--I'm kinda psyched now...just talked to a buddy of mine who already has a registered lower...so I'll get to give it a test run next weekend.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
AIM shows it as an 11.5" and I'm having a hard time staying away. I've been waiting for the DD MK18 to come in stock.

The AIM special is a fine looking upper, let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
29,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Arrived today. I'm quite pleased.

"Keyhole" flattop upper. I think the bolt is a Spikes--bolt read "ST MPI".

It's gonna be a long wait 'til Saturday...

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Very nice, congrats on the new build...:)

·
Registered
29,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My buddy firing it on another buddy's registered lower. Optic is a Primary Arms Micro clone. I like the sight, but the quick release mount is crap.

ETA--put a couple hundred rounds through it...flawless. Accurate, too...and I may have been wrong about that Phantom; it does a rather nice job. I think it'll stay for the time being.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts