Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had problems keeping my spare magazines concealed. When I get up from a seated position I have to make sure my shirt is pulled down in the back or part of the carrier is showing or worse the magazines themselves. The magazines seem to catch part of the shirt. I am big guy 6’1” 250 lbs. I typically wear a tee shirt (2XL/3XL) untucked, but have plenty of shirt to tuck in if I wanted to. I carry the magazines in a Galco DMC in the 7 o’clock position and have reversed it so the magazines are upright against my body. Historically I have had a single stack .45ACP but have switched over to a XD45C and the problem seems worse with the double stacks. Is anyone else fighting this issue?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I rarely carry a spare mag and if I do it's in my back pocket.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I typically carry my spare mags in homemade kydex mag pouches, which really hold tight to my body and ride fairly low so there is not much mag sticking up over my belt line for my shirt to get caught on. However I also make pocket holsters that keep my mags clean when they are in my pocket, free of lint, and they are always oriented up for easy access. You could try to find those or pm me and let me know if you need some.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I always carry a spare magazine. Most single-stack magazines will fit into a Leatherman-style pouch that not only holds the magazine snugly but also provides a bit of camouflage.

Double-stack magazines are a bit more problematic but there are any number of nylon pouches on the market - intended for flashlights, multi-tools, etc. - that will work just fine.

With that said, I've started making custom Kydex mag pouches myself. I made one similar to the CrossBreed IWB pouch and found that I didn't like carrying my magazines IWB.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm sorry but why carry extra mags? If you can't take them down with either 10+ 1 or 13+ 1 then you have more problems that need addressed....

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
I'm sorry but why carry extra mags? If you can't take them down with either 10+ 1 or 13+ 1 then you have more problems that need addressed....
Because a magazine is the weakest link in a bottomfeeder, and the part most likely to fail. You aren't carrying it for the ammo--you're carrying it for the spare magazine.

You wouldn't go for a drive without a spare tire, would you? I mean, if you can't get the job done with 4...;)

Add in that there are several malfunctions that are much easier cleared by dropping the mag, clearing the malf, and slapping in a fresh, full mag than partially dropping the mag, retaining the mag, clearing the malf with the mag in one hand, and then reinserting the partially depleted mag...a spare is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
because a magazine is the weakest link in a bottomfeeder, and the part most likely to fail. You aren't carrying it for the ammo--you're carrying it for the spare magazine.

You wouldn't go for a drive without a spare tire, would you? I mean, if you can't get the job done with 4...;)

add in that there are several malfunctions that are much easier cleared by dropping the mag, clearing the malf, and slapping in a fresh, full mag than partially dropping the mag, retaining the mag, clearing the malf with the mag in one hand, and then reinserting the partially depleted mag...a spare is cheap insurance.
a big +1!

·
Registered
332 Posts

I always carry an extra mag. I don't know if I'm ever going to need it...just like I don't know if I'm ever going to need my gun. But I'll have them both if I do need them.

For the OP, I carry an extra mag in a back pocket and it's double stack .40. It can be a pain the a$$ (literally) sometimes so I'm looking into another option but most of the time it works just fine. If I don't have it there then I sometimes need carry it in a cargo pocket in my shorts like someone else mentioned.

·
Registered
855 Posts

Ill tell you why to carry extra mags! it gives you options not all pistol self defence situations are gonna be a guy with a knife demanding for you to give him your wallet and you step back and shoot. for a situation like that i would say yes your right if you cant make that shot with a 13+1 gun then you do have other problems that need to be addressed...

Have you watched the news lately just yesterday a guy opened fire on a bunch of kids in norway and he had enough ammo with him to shoot for 90min and kill about 100 people. Emagine goin up against that type of a threat can we all get that job done with 13+1. Its possible but what if we cant i would sure like some options like having a spare mag just incase.

Just somethin to think about, if you look back at alot of the big shootings in the news most of those guys came prepared. that means many of them have rifles and lots of ammo.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Please feel free not to carry a spare magazine. No one here will attempt to force you to do so.

I'm sure you'll never have a magazine failure. I'm sure you'll always know how many un-friendlies you'll encounter. I'm sure you'll always shoot nearly 100% when your adrenaline is bursting the veins in your eyeballs, causing tunnel vision and virtual deafness.

Go ahead, carry just one.

I suspect there are more than a few of us here who have carried a weapon for a living. I further suspect that of those individuals, nearly all of us carry a spare.

Pretty sure it's a dumb idea, though ... or an inadequacy of some sort on our part. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I always carry a spare magazine. Most single-stack magazines will fit into a Leatherman-style pouch that not only holds the magazine snugly but also provides a bit of camouflage.

Double-stack magazines are a bit more problematic but there are any number of nylon pouches on the market - intended for flashlights, multi-tools, etc. - that will work just fine.

With that said, I've started making custom Kydex mag pouches myself. I made one similar to the CrossBreed IWB pouch and found that I didn't like carrying my magazines IWB.

I use a gerber tool nylon pouch to carry my Glock mags. Fits and works perfect....

·
Registered
855 Posts
Please feel free not to carry a spare magazine. No one here will attempt to force you to do so.

I'm sure you'll never have a magazine failure. I'm sure you'll always know how many un-friendlies you'll encounter. I'm sure you'll always shoot nearly 100% when your adrenaline is bursting the veins in your eyeballs, causing tunnel vision and virtual deafness.

Go ahead, carry just one.

I suspect there are more than a few of us here who have carried a weapon for a living. I further suspect that of those individuals, nearly all of us carry a spare.

Pretty sure it's a dumb idea, though ... or an inadequacy of some sort on our part. :rolleyes:

+100

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I have always had problems keeping my spare magazines concealed. When I get up from a seated position I have to make sure my shirt is pulled down in the back or part of the carrier is showing or worse the magazines themselves. The magazines seem to catch part of the shirt. I am big guy 6’1” 250 lbs. I typically wear a tee shirt (2XL/3XL) untucked, but have plenty of shirt to tuck in if I wanted to. I carry the magazines in a Galco DMC in the 7 o’clock position and have reversed it so the magazines are upright against my body. Historically I have had a single stack .45ACP but have switched over to a XD45C and the problem seems worse with the double stacks. Is anyone else fighting this issue?
I always carry an extra mag. I don't know if I'm ever going to need it...just like I don't know if I'm ever going to need my gun. But I'll have them both if I do need them.

For the OP, I carry an extra mag in a back pocket and it's double stack .40. It can be a pain the a$$ (literally) sometimes so I'm looking into another option but most of the time it works just fine. If I don't have it there then I sometimes need carry it in a cargo pocket in my shorts like someone else mentioned.

I have two of these in black. Double Pistol Mag Pouch | MOLLE Pouches | 5.11 Tactical

They mount MOLLE but can be used with a belt like I do. A double stack mags for the XD-40 fits very well, and my flashlight or folding knife fit in the other pouch. It looks like any other phone or multitool pouch.

They use an adjustable MOLLE attachment the 5.11 calls their "Slick Stick" system. The mounts look like this. To use on a belt you just run the "stick" through different loops on the MOLLE webbing.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You may want to look into carrying a single mag in a pocket holster. I use a Galco single horizintal mag pouch. I carry it left side at 4:00, holster right side about the same. It rides along the belt so never pulls or catches the cover garment. I fI feel the need to carry two spare mags, then a combo of the two works.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I carry a single spare mag in either an old knife pouch with a velcro flap or I have also bought some generic knife pouches that have a button flap. It looks like a knife/tool so I don't worry if it is exposed.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts