Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my XDs 3.3 45ACP two months or so ago (post recall I think) and just started using it with regularity.

This is what is happening... With a round in the chamber and 4 other rounds in the magazine, I pull back and lock the slide, ejecting the round in the chamber. Without touching the slide release, I push the magazine release to drop the magazine and the slide slams forward. The magazine is apparently dropped already to the point that the next round is not chambered. The first time it happened, it scared the hell out of me since I wasn't expecting it.

Is that normal? Mine does it every time with round in the magazine. The XDm .40 that I had previously never did that... With an empty magazine, it doesn't happen. The magazine drops and the slide remains locked back.

Dave

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was able to imitate what the OP described just now, repeatedly.

When locking the slide back slowly, it would sometimes stay locked back by pushing a round into the feed ramp, forcing the round to get stuck. As soon as I would drop the magazine, the slide would go forward.

If I rack the slide back like a man, it locks back perfectly with the slide release. ;)

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Golly gee, I've never had a pistol thingy before and certainly don't know how to lock the slide back. I'm sure that was the problem... :roll:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, now don't go getting your feelings hurt. Demianu was just trying to duplicate your problem and he did. That does not mean your problem was caused by a weak slide pull, just that was one thing that could cause it. OH, one other thing. When they taught you about those pistol thingies, did they tell you not to cover important parts of your body with the muzzle, like you are demonstrating in your signature pic??

·
Registered
340 Posts
Golly gee, I've never had a pistol thingy before and certainly don't know how to lock the slide back. I'm sure that was the problem... :roll:
lol don't take it personal, the XDS is a very picky gun. After practicing reloads hundreds of times, I actually gave up racking the slide manually to load a round with the XDS and only use the slide release now. 99.9% problem free that way.

As for the problem you demonstrated, respectfully, why would someone even lock the slide back with a round in the chamber and a magazine inserted in the first place? Throughout my military and LEO careers, I've always been instructed to drop the mag first before ejecting a round.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
As for the problem you demonstrated, respectfully, why would someone even lock the slide back with a round in the chamber and a magazine inserted in the first place? Throughout my military and LEO careers, I've always been instructed to drop the mag first before ejecting a round.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering about that. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts