Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this from someone. I'm not sure. I'm fairly skeptical, but I have heard of special "Walmart" versions of certain products that are cheaper varieties of the same model sold elsewhere.

Is WM ammo weaker than non-WM ammo in order to provide a lower cost product?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wal-mart does not make ammo. They only sell it. Name brand is name brand no matter where you get it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Wal-mart does not make ammo. They only sell it. Name brand is name brand no matter where you get it.
wm does some pretty sneaky stuff. The will have a manufacturer slightly alter their product, sometimes drastically alter the internals of electronic devices, and then pass it off as the name brand stuff because it has the name brand on it. They do this so they can A) sell a cheaper product at a lower price than what people think the competition is selling, and B) advertise that they will beat anyone elses price. The second part is easy when nobody else sells the same item. So to be sure, check the product id number from the manufacturer, if it is the same as everyplace else then it is the same stuff. If it has a different number, then it is made specifically for wm and will not be the same.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Where do you get your info. Lets see some news reports or something to back up what you claim. I have worked in Wal-marts corporate ranks and I have also been a buyer for them. So to you sir i say bulls**t!!!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I guess my post was removed?

Yes it's total bull, whoever told you that walmart ammo is weaker or of less quality if full of crap.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Where do you get your info. Lets see some news reports or something to back up what you claim. I have worked in Wal-marts corporate ranks and I have also been a buyer for them. So to you sir i say bulls**t!!!
Well I'm not going to hijack the thread for this, but I have seen it. Bought a TV a couple years ago, got a good deal. Wife dragged me to wm and there it was but much cheaper. Then when I looked at the back it was missing most of the inputs. Went home and looked it up and the manufacturer did not even have the wm version on their website. I've also had someone tell me that the ruger 10/22 wm sold was modified just a little and the product number there was not listed on ruger site. I took them at their word since my experience tended to back that up. I did a quick search on that and found an old add for a ruger 10/22 only available thru wm but it did not have the product number listed that I saw.

Like I said, if the product number is the same as everyplace else, then it is the same. I don't shop at wm so I have never looked at the ammo there. Since the wm site does not list ammo, I can't tell what the numbers are.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I was younger, one of the first guns I got was a Marlin .22 WMR from walmart. And for whatever reason I was on the Marlin website about a year later looking at the same gun, when I noticed that on the Marlin website they didnt have anything with the same model number mine had.

If I remember correctly the model number on mine was 25MN, and the identical looking one online had the model number 25M. So I actually got the idea awhile ago that walmart might do exactly that... have manufactures make certain products more cheaply so they can afford to sell them at a lower price.

I could be completely wrong, but it would not surprise me the slightest bit to find out its true

·
Registered
280 Posts
JustRick said:
Well I'm not going to hijack the thread for this, but I have seen it. Bought a TV a couple years ago, got a good deal. Wife dragged me to wm and there it was but much cheaper. Then when I looked at the back it was missing most of the inputs. Went home and looked it up and the manufacturer did not even have the wm version on their website. I've also had someone tell me that the ruger 10/22 wm sold was modified just a little and the product number there was not listed on ruger site. I took them at their word since my experience tended to back that up. I did a quick search on that and found an old add for a ruger 10/22 only available thru wm but it did not have the product number listed that I saw.

Like I said, if the product number is the same as everyplace else, then it is the same. I don't shop at wm so I have never looked at the ammo there. Since the wm site does not list ammo, I can't tell what the numbers are.
YOU SIR, ARE CORRECT! I have found this to be true as well... sneaky suspicions about such a huge price difference on laptops, cameras, tvs, and a few other things have led me to find the same thing. The reason for it I can't tell you without firm knowledge, but I have suspicion its the same reason you say.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
They just have slightly different models that have less features.. I have a 26" LCD samsung from Wal-Mart. Just fine...

·
Registered
463 Posts
I thought we were talking about ammo here

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hmmm. I have heard that they will have certain electronics with cheaper options and different model numbers, but nothing about ammo.

In this way, they can not have direct competition when they say that they have a certain model cheaper than anyone else. If WM is the only one with said model, they can have whatever price on it and have no direct model to model competition. But yes they typically do this so those that do not know better think they are getting a better value and saving money, when in reality they are getting a cheaper price but also a cheaper unit. This is especially true around the Christmas rush...my .02

I would love to know if their is actually a cheaper ammo sold their...someone should do a chronograph comparison with the same ammo's...such as the 9mm 115 fmj's or the .45 230 fmj's from Wally-World vs. those bought at say Gander Mountain or Cabellas, etc.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I agree that Wal-Mart does have "special" models of items they sell. Some of them have fewer features, and others are "AKA's" with different model numbers. Wal-Mart apparently does this so they can have the best price every day and promise to price-match competition. Where this "cheap ammo" argument falls flat is there are no features to disable and the product carries the potential for significant liability. Winchester is not going to save a penny a round and make a lighter casing or fill it with less powder. Ammunition is designed to safely and reliably operate within confines of an effective quality control system.
Wal-Mart ammo is less expensive for three reasons: 1. No company can buy products from suppliers at lower prices, 2. Wal-Mart sells products at lower margins than other ammo retailers, 3. Wal-Mart has a more efficient supply chain than any other company that sells ammo. Wal-Mart pays less, sells at lower profit, and spends less to get ammo on a shelf. There is no need for them to even ask Winchester to use less brass. Not that Winchester would if asked.

House brands and big-ticket items (especially electronics) are another story. Nobody gets sued if your potato chips are not *quite* as crispy or your new HDTV does not have HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
921 Posts
ya know, i do have some Winchester and Remington that i have bought in various places, maybe i need to break out my kinetic hammer and scales.
Damn you all, you have piqued my interest.

·
Registered
22,574 Posts
I've found no difference between the Wally World and the local gun store ammo. I don't think that a major manufacturer would risk the liability of making the ammo with inferior components.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
"word around the campfire" is walmart will place an order for (discussion sake) TV's from SONY. SONY will fill the order and ship the order. once the order is on the boat walmart will try to renegotiate the deal. if SONY doesn't want to renegotiate walmart will let them sit unpaid for. and most times SONY will agree to new terms rather than pay for more shipping on the mass amount of TVs.

so SONY from then on puts less features on the TVs to help cover what ever loss walmart bullies them into.

I don't know that is true, its just what they say.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bonehead said:
"word around the campfire" is walmart will place an order for (discussion sake) TV's from SONY. SONY will fill the order and ship the order. once the order is on the boat walmart will try to renegotiate the deal. if SONY doesn't want to renegotiate walmart will let them sit unpaid for. and most times SONY will agree to new terms rather than pay for more shipping on the mass amount of TVs.

so SONY from then on puts less features on the TVs to help cover what ever loss walmart bullies them into.

I don't know that is true, its just what they say.
I don't think that's true. Even dealing with a giant company like SONY, I'm sure they'd only let them do that a handfull of times before they told them to go F-©# themselves. That's just awful business practice!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Now I am curious. Can anyone post the manufactuer product number of WWB from the big WM and one from another source. Are they the same?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts