Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first handgun (a 9mm Glock 19) and need to buy some ammo for it!

Looking on gunbot.net I found the following ammo that comes out to $0.23/rnd after shipping (it's the best price I've seen, and I've been watching for a while!):

Tula Ammo 9mm 115Gr. FMJ 1000rds

Does anyone know if that ammo will work well?

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
It's steel cased and some handguns are picky about that but your Glock should eat it and feed it no problem.

Tul Ammo is pretty much bottom of the barrel plinking ammo.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The only Tula ammo I've fired is in my SIG 566R and it was reliable, but not accurate.

I've read that some people's guns shoot it just fine and other people have function issues with it.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
The only problem I've had with Tula, besides accuracy, is hard primers in my AR. But I'll still use it if I'm just out to heat up the barrel.

·
Registered
632 Posts
It's dirty, very very dirty. As for reliability or will it work remember how cheap it is, and you get what you pay for. Don't be surprised with failures, if your willing to except that in range ammo, go for it.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
ive never had any trouble with it. it has fed fine through my guns but its certainly not premium stuff. its pretty dirty but its also pretty cheap so just keep expectations low and you'll be satisfied. its not sd ammo but i dont mind sending it down range.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
cheap
dirty
inaccurate
more readily available than other brands
only popular during shortages (like the 2013 rush)
metallic/magnetic bullets in some ammo (barrel concerns)
bad guys will never know it was TulAmmo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The accuracy of the ammo probably isn't a big issue since it's probably still a whole lot more accurate than I am :)

However, if the CCI Blazer is considerably better, I might just go with that since it's only $0.05 more per round, which isn't a huge deal..

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
The accuracy of the ammo probably isn't a big issue since it's probably still a whole lot more accurate than I am :)

However, if the CCI Blazer is considerably better, I might just go with that since it's only $0.05 more per round, which isn't a huge deal..
Blazer Brass is made by CCI. It's decent plinking ammo and you can save your brass if you plan on getting into reloading in the future. Or if you want to sell your brass.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I shot hundreds of rounds of Tula in 5.45, 5.56, 9MM and .380. No problem with any of it except it does seem dirty. My pocket .380 won't shoot it (it won't really shoot anything but HP or TCMJ) but by Bersa Thunder will and it is very snappy out of that gun.

For range work, I think it's just fine. I think quality control is not great - perceived recoil can feel different between rounds from the same box. Did I mention it's dirty?

Shoot it at night for some nice flash!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whoops, I just read over my local range's rules out of curiosity to see if I could keep the casings like Chicago said and noticed rule #13:

No steel jacket or steel core ammunition is allowed on the range.
Is that unlucky or what? (rule #13, get it?)

Anyways, I guess that settles it -- CCI Blazer it is!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought it was just steel cased :confused:
I take it steel jacket is different than steel cased?

This is my first time buying ammo (aside from what they hand me at the range), so I literally have no idea what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's fine for plinking. I've fired over 2000 rounds of their steel case ammo in 9mm, .40 and .45 without a single FTE or FTF.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I take it steel jacket is different than steel cased?

This is my first time buying ammo (aside from what they hand me at the range), so I literally have no idea what I'm talking about.
Yes, but Tula may very well have steel in their jackets. The Tula 223 I have is being replaced with brass but only as it gets used up.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Tula pistol ammo is steel cased. The bullet is a lead core with a bimetal jacket. Tombac is bonded in a heat process with steel to produce a bi-metallic projectile, giving the appearance of a copper jacket but having the added strength of steel. It will NOT harm your barrel or cause accelerated wear. Clean as you would to remove normal copper jacket fouling.

Any ranges that refuse it, is because they are too lazy to separate it from their recovered brass, and cuts into margins. Rummor has it, that bimetal can spark upon impact of hard surfaces, and cause a fire in extreme dry conditions. I have yet to even see smoke during drought conditions.

The only issue I have ever had from Tula is an occasional hard primer, and it IS filthy. I shot a tight 250 with it on my CHL, so don't think that there is a accuracy problem with it. Shoot and save with confidence. ;-)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Tula will fail to eject in my Sig AR10. And it will jam in my bersa. However it runs great in xd pistols and glocks. Not the most accurate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts