Springfield XD Forum banner

Is this what a .223 bullet is supposed to look like?

7K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  agalindo 
#1 ·
I got some older factory reman ammo that is probably atleast 20 years old

I pulled one bullet just for curiosity sake and this is what I found......

I guess I just assumed .223 bullets had a tapered tail......

not a big deal, just curious

thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
Is the ammo listed at "boat tail" or not?

I have .223 bullets for reloading that are not boat tail, and they have a 90 degree base.

#4 ·
it's been a while since I've had my mini 14, but that looks about right. I know some varieties of .223 have the boat tail, is that the taper you are talking about?
if boat tail is the term for it....lol....standby ill have to google

EDIT:

google is your friend :)

yes, a boat tail, I just assumed it would have one, i just don't know any better and figured Id learn by taking one apart

like this one.....its has a boat tail

#6 ·
Is the ammo listed at "boat tail" or not?

I have .223 bullets for reloading that are not boat tail, and they have a 90 degree base.
nope, not listed, just in a sealed white box labeled "factory remanufactured"

#7 ·
Flat-base .223 is pretty normal stuff. It's less wind-kicking than boat-tail, and I don't, knowing this, understand why anybody made it. Perhaps it was for tracers? You have to have somewhere to put the phosphorus.

#8 ·
Thanks for the quick responses

Here's some Federal HP's with a Boat Tail, is that kind of what you were envisioning?
Federal Cartridge 223 Remington by Federal - 223 Rem 55gr Sier-BTHP V-Shok 20 P223E
yup, just thought they were all that way

Flat-base .223 is pretty normal stuff. It's less wind-kicking than boat-tail, and I don't, knowing this, understand why anybody made it. Perhaps it was for tracers? You have to have somewhere to put the phosphorus.
thats good to know

I wasnt even aware there were different tails

#10 ·
That's just a standard flat base soft point with cannelure...looks like a Remington PSP. Perfectly acceptable for use inside 300 yards (the point at which a boattail will start to show its superior ballistic coefficient). It's actually fine for use at any distance a 223 is good for, it will simply shed velocity and drop a little more quickly than a boattail of the same weight starting out at the same speed. Often, the flat base is more accurate, and if I know my shots will be inside 300, I load the flatties.

#13 ·
That's just a standard flat base soft point with cannelure...looks like a Remington PSP. Perfectly acceptable for use inside 300 yards (the point at which a boattail will start to show its superior ballistic coefficient). It's actually fine for use at any distance a 223 is good for, it will simply shed velocity and drop a little more quickly than a boattail of the same weight starting out at the same speed. Often, the flat base is more accurate, and if I know my shots will be inside 300, I load the flatties.
good info to know

Thats a 30-06 bullet. You sure you got that from a .223???
I really hope you are joking.:rolleyes:
mee too

If all .223s should be boattails, then you'd think that old Berger would wise up and change his .223 match bullets to boattails, wouldn't you? :cool:
???? comment @ me?

#14 ·
Boat tails fly better, but can be more effected by anything going on at all as they exit the barrel. they might also accelerate barrel wear to some minute degree.

the boat tail assumption come from the cheap military stuff being boat tailed.... so why would you charge more for a bullet that doesn't have the feature found on the cheap ones?

you could always put the bullet back in backwards, then it would have a boat tail :p

#15 ·
you could always put the bullet back in backwards, then it would have a boat tail :p

thats funny.

actually, i must have got lucky, because this particular round I chose @ random to take apart, as it tuns out has a cracked neck in the case.

might have happened when I took it apart, but I just don't know......I went back and inspected the other 120 rounds of it....this was the only one with a cracked case. Another one had a light crimp compared to the others but I figured Id let it roll since I don't have crimp dies and it wasn't loose enough for the bullet to spin in the casing

Again, thanks for all the responses

#17 ·
What did you take it apart with and I hope you don't say some tools.
If you didn't use a reloading bullet puller then I wouldn't recommend that method.
I used a couple of loose collet chucks and the power of elbow grease.....never intended to reuse anything.

I agree it was not the best way to take it apart but it was ten times better than a couple pairs of pliers and a hammer :)

I need to pick up a bullet pulling hammer deal, but I don't reload yet so I can't justify it for the few times I get curious.

#19 ·
BTWC, Boat Tail Wad Cutter.

#22 ·
Yea the varmint HPs I shoot at service rifle matches aren't boat tails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.