Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Springfield1911 A-1 Mil Spec. I have no idea how old it is but it was given to me when my grandfather passed away. I have shot a few rounds (200-300) through it but never any hollow points.

I have my compact 40 as my concealed carry weapon. However, I keep the 1911 in the bedside lock box loaded with hollow points as a back up. I have never heard anything like in this article so I wanted to see if anyone on here agreed with it. Obviously, I could go shoot a couple of boxes of my carry ammo through the 1911 to see for myself. But, who's to say a FTF wouldn't occur because the1911 "was made to fire hardball" according to this article?

Thoughts?

Tuning the M1911 for Reliability

·
Registered
20 Posts
You've gone and opened a can of worms now! I would never recommend loading a home/self defense gun with an ammo that has never been tried. That's a gamble I won't take, even if I read hundreds of posts from others with the same gun and ammo having no problems. Guns are all made slightly different and there is always a chance you'll have the one that doesn't work properly.

The shortest and probably best answer is stop reading and start shooting. Buy 2 or 3 different brands of HP and shoot them. Find the one that works best and that you like and then shoot another 200 rounds through it. Then you'll know for certain whether or not your gun needs to be "tuned for reliability".

Sent by Brown's Custom Grips using Tapatalk!

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
If you have never shot Hollow point ammo through the pistol you do not know for sure if it will run! Shoot a couple of mags through at the min, some suggest 100's of rounds. It would be better to keep what you know runs in the pistol for now.

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, you 2 are exactly right. I heard those words in my head as I was typing. I will do that for sure.

How about in general? Have you ever heard or do you believe what is said in this artile as it relates to 1911's and hollow point ammo?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't waste my time ready articles like that. My 1911s either run right out of the box or they get sent back, including using JHP. If there ever were a gun that wasnt reliable that couldn't be sent back, I would have a competent gunsmith correct the issue. But thats only if the gun had sentimental value and couldn't be replaced. If it didn't have either of those things, it would be sold and a replacement would be bought. There are too many other viable options not to have a 1911 that isnt reliable.

Sent by Brown's Custom Grips using Tapatalk!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, you should run a few trouble free boxes of your carry ammo through any auto before trusting your life with it. Meanwhile, you can chamber a HP and have ball in the mag, assuming it feeds ball reliably.

Unless a 1911 is considerably out of spec, they can be tuned to run with most anything. "Tuning" may be considerable in some cases and should be done by someone who understands the system and how to tune it.

CX

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes, you should run a few trouble free boxes of your carry ammo through any auto before trusting your life with it. Meanwhile, you can chamber a HP and have ball in the mag, assuming it feeds ball reliably.

Unless a 1911 is considerably out of spec, they can be tuned to run with most anything. "Tuning" may be considerable in some cases and should be done by someone who understands the system and how to tune it.

CX
Yeah I will do that for sure. I just can't see a 1911 not being able to fire hollow points reliably. Have never heard that until I read that article.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Its all based on the angle of the ramp. I would try it and see what happens. Some hollowpoints are larger than others, try different bullet profiles if one doesnt work.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Until you know more about the age and history of the weapon, I would not modify it at all. You may inadvertantly destroy both it's historical, as well as monetary value.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Most 1911s made in the last 20 years, feed hollow points just fine.

Used to be that you bought a Colt 1911 and had to have it throated and polished before it would feed. That article is probably pretty old! LOL

That said, if you're worried....why not try a box or two of the Cor Bon Pow'R Ball ammo, instead? This is self defense ammo that has the shape of a fmj bullet and feeds right all of the time, but expands and works much like a hollow point. Problem solved.

That said....YES!...go run several boxes of whatever you choose through the gun to make sure it functions 100% and to find out where it hits.

- brickboy240

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most 1911s made in the last 20 years, feed hollow points just fine.

Used to be that you bought a Colt 1911 and had to have it throated and polished before it would feed. That article is probably pretty old! LOL

That said, if you're worried....why not try a box or two of the Cor Bon Pow'R Ball ammo, instead? This is self defense ammo that has the shape of a fmj bullet and feeds right all of the time, but expands and works much like a hollow point. Problem solved.

That said....YES!...go run several boxes of whatever you choose through the gun to make sure it functions 100% and to find out where it hits.

- brickboy240
Thanks man I appreciate that info.

By the way, how do I go about figuring out when this 1911 was made?

·
Registered
29,671 Posts
Also--make certain that you test all of your magazines tht you plan on using for HD--not just one.

Some JHP's feed better than others in 1911's; the Remington Golden Saber, Federal HydraShok, and Hornady XTP come immediately to mind.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Cuda is right...some hp's do feed better than others.

I have found the Winchester 230gr XTPs to be great feeders in all my 1911s. They have a fairly rounded nose.

The iffy feeders seem to be Hydra-Shoks and those 200gr Speer "flying ashtray" rounds. The old 185gr Silvertips used to be finicky, too. I used to use Hydra Shoks for my own informal testing...if the 1911 would feed those without a hiccup...it was GTG!

I would bet that without any mods, your Springer will feed the Cor Bon PowR' Ball rounds....worth a try.

To find out when the pistol was made.....I'd call Springfield. Their customer service is great and I bet someone there could help.

Good luck with it and welcome to the addiction! LOL

- brickboy240

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also--make certain that you test all of your magazines tht you plan on using for HD--not just one.

Some JHP's feed better than others in 1911's; the Remington Golden Saber, Federal HydraShok, and Hornady XTP come immediately to mind.
Yeah I have 3 1911 mags and will load them all up.

Cuda is right...some hp's do feed better than others.

I have found the Winchester 230gr XTPs to be great feeders in all my 1911s. They have a fairly rounded nose.

The iffy feeders seem to be Hydra-Shoks and those 200gr Speer "flying ashtray" rounds. The old 185gr Silvertips used to be finicky, too. I used to use Hydra Shoks for my own informal testing...if the 1911 would feed those without a hiccup...it was GTG!

I would bet that without any mods, your Springer will feed the Cor Bon PowR' Ball rounds....worth a try.

To find out when the pistol was made.....I'd call Springfield. Their customer service is great and I bet someone there could help.

Good luck with it and welcome to the addiction! LOL

- brickboy240
"Flying ashtrays"? I have Gold Dots in there now. I can't recall the grain but I have the box at home. They are 3 years old so I am going to fire all of them through there due to age anyways. Its a box of 20. If I do 6 rounds in each of the 3 mags (2 left over to use) is that not enough? I've read where some say at least 100 rounds. These damn things are like $24 for a box of 20.

Yeah, I will contact Springfield about the age. Im curious now.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I had to laugh at you calling 3 year old ammo "old."

I have run British 303 ammo through my Enfields, that was made in July of 1945! It all ran just fine and that is the old cordite loaded stuff, too.

I also run 1950s made 7.62x54R Bulgarian ammo through my Mosins and 1970s made Yugoslavian 7.62x39 through the SKSs.

3 year old ammo is new...if you ask me! LOL

I actually own a box of Winchester Silvertips that has a price tag of $10.99 on the box. No idea how old it is...but I am betting late 80s. I bet it still goes bang every time.

Try the PowR' Ball stuff first. Its not cheap but its cheaper than reliability work from a gunsmith.

- brickboy240

·
Banned
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had to laugh at you calling 3 year old ammo "old."

I have run British 303 ammo through my Enfields, that was made in July of 1945! It all ran just fine and that is the old cordite loaded stuff, too.

I also run 1950s made 7.62x54R Bulgarian ammo through my Mosins and 1970s made Yugoslavian 7.62x39 through the SKSs.

3 year old ammo is new...if you ask me! LOL

I actually own a box of Winchester Silvertips that has a price tag of $10.99 on the box. No idea how old it is...but I am betting late 80s. I bet it still goes bang every time.

Try the PowR' Ball stuff first. Its not cheap but its cheaper than reliability work from a gunsmith.

- brickboy240
Well if was up to me(which it is I guess) I would keep the 3 year old carry ammo. However, I have read all over this forum and a few others, as well as the CCW instructor I had, that you should shoot your carry ammo after a year has passed. Just for reliability rerasons I guess? I don't know. If it was target ammo I wouldn't be concerned. I don't know if it's an over hyped myth or not. But, I have read way too many people say to shoot your carry ammo and get new at the 1 year mark.

Anyways, I will be getting some of the Cor Bon Pow'R Ball like you suggested.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Yeah I will do that for sure. I just can't see a 1911 not being able to fire hollow points reliably. Have never heard that until I read that article.

Some of the older 1911's didn't like HP's and had to be tuned. Most newer 1911's will feed them fine at most it may cycle certain brands or types more reliably. Run some of them through and if it works no tuning is necessary.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
the wide mouth on the heavy hollowpoints liked to hang up on the traditional 1911's feedramp and barrel.

you're hard pressed to find a newer one that hasn't been throated.

post a picture of the chamber end of the barrel for us

on older guns you might run into this but just about any 1911 you pick off a shelf has a throated barrel and proper feedramp for hollow points as well as a lowered and flared ejector port to keep it from hanging on an empty case.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts