Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Are you really that hard up that you need to shoot a questionable round?

·
Administrator
22,462 Posts
Pliers to remove the bullet, dump the gunpowder with water and throw away the casing.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
My common sense says destroy.

·
Registered
29,876 Posts
No, it's not safe. Dispose of it. If your range has a "dud round" bucket, just put it in there.

I doubt if you tried to shoot it that it would chamber.

It's also not terribly uncommon. I've seen it in Remington, Federal/AmE, and a few others as well as WWB. With all of the big boys pushing out millions of rounds daily, some are going to slip through QC.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I found a poorly seated PDX1 9mm round in a box I bought about three months ago and contacted Winchester about the issue. They said that they wanted the round returned for QC and that they would "refund my purchase of the box of ammo for the trouble." They set up a UPS shipping order for me, so I didn't have to be out any shipping cost. All I had to do was drop it off in a properly labeled parcel. I got a phone call a few weeks later from a rep at Winchester to apologize for the bad round and let me know that I had a gift certificate in the mail. I got a $25 gift certificate from them a few days later which I promptly used to buy more ammo. I don't like thinking about what may have happened if I had actually fired the round before I saw it when loading, but I was pleased at the response I received from Winchester to make it right.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Excited as I am to shoot my XD for the first time, if that was the round...I would have to pass :shock:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Texan7505 said:
I found a poorly seated PDX1 9mm round in a box I bought about three months ago and contacted Winchester about the issue. They said that they wanted the round returned for QC and that they would "refund my purchase of the box of ammo for the trouble." They set up a UPS shipping order for me, so I didn't have to be out any shipping cost. All I had to do was drop it off in a properly labeled parcel. I got a phone call a few weeks later from a rep at Winchester to apologize for the bad round and let me know that I had a gift certificate in the mail. I got a $25 gift certificate from them a few days later which I promptly used to buy more ammo. I don't like thinking about what may have happened if I had actually fired the round before I saw it when loading, but I was pleased at the response I received from Winchester to make it right.
That's great. Thanks for the info I will be sure to do the same.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Wow be nice dude. Just asking cause I had it loaded in my mag before cleaning. I'm wondering if I had not discovered it what would have happened.

That's a different question that the original one "is this fine to shoot". When you see a potential problem with ammo, the first thought should be "If in doubt throw it out".

The up side is you save 20 cents, the down side is the weapon is destroyed and you are injured.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts