Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AIM Surplus Hungarian

So I've been considering buying an AK for a while, and I believe I asked this question before about a WASR-10 from buds. I really don't need it to do much more than kick up some dirt without jamming and maybe serve as a SHTF rifle. I'd rather not spend much more than $400, so this looks fairly decent to me.

I've gotten the impression that the Hungarian is a better rifle overall, and I like the short length on that one. I'd rather buy local and actually handle it first, but that really isn't an option around here.

Beyond asking if this is a good deal, if anyone has a better idea for me, I'd love to hear it. Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm not a fan of the amd-65 just because of the front grip, but that's just me. If that's the best deal on one that you've found then that's probably what you'll pay.
Stay away from wasr's, they're pretty much craptastic.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I dislike the AMD because of the nonexistent cheek weld, the lack of a real handguard, and the foregrip gets in the way of 30 round mags. I could go either way on the presence of the foregrip, but the other factors are no-go for me.

WASRs are only "craptastic" if you expect them to be good to go right out of the box. They need to be approached more as "project" guns for someone who is familiar with common hand tools. IN fact, anyone who has tinkered with guns before is more than capable of getting a WASR up and running 100%. With that being said, WASRs are not all created equal. I've seen some absolutely horrible ones from 2004. My 2007 GP WASR 10/63 is leaps and bounds ahead of the 2004 guns, and it is better in my eyes than even my old 2001 SAR-3, dimples or not.

·
Registered
316 Posts
With wasr's selling for ONLY $10 less than the AMD, the amd is the way to go. Now, if the wasr was a reasonable price, like they were a year or two ago (at 189 or was it 289) then I'd say go for that.

If you can spend a little more, this isn't a bad choice (for prices these days)
Yugo AK 7.62x39 Underfolder Rifle

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dislike the AMD because of the nonexistent cheek weld, the lack of a real handguard, and the foregrip gets in the way of 30 round mags. I could go either way on the presence of the foregrip, but the other factors are no-go for me.
This leads me to another question: Is there any way to remove that foregrip? Is there any other furniture that will fit in place of it? That's the main thing that's bugging me about this one. I may still go WASR, but thanks for the opinions, it really does help.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
This leads me to another question: Is there any way to remove that foregrip? Is there any other furniture that will fit in place of it? That's the main thing that's bugging me about this one. I may still go WASR, but thanks for the opinions, it really does help.
you just unscrew it. Do you want a pistol grip ? if you remove it i think the base is gonna be there, so does that bother you ?

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
the AMD has its own hand guard retainer, you can make a common hand guard work though. It also has its own gas tube. you can shorten and flare a common one to fit.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the AMD has its own hand guard retainer, you can make a common hand guard work though. It also has its own gas tube. you can shorten and flare a common one to fit.
einheit, I must say that the pool of knowledge here would be much shallower without you around. I think I am going to go AMD, and maybe switch out the foregrip, that's the only part of it that I don't think that I will like. Though if i just unscrew it like bill suggested it might be ok. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts