Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Picture is worth a 1000 words. If you don't have pics, we at least need a detailed description of the problem, gun make/model, etc. Also, if you don't have pics, what exactly does "a tad bit" translate into in terms of mm, inches, etc. to the left.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is kinda a bad pic, but its the best I could do. It seems that the sights are just a bit to the left. There are 2 markers next to each of the sights and on the front sight the left marker is almost covered, and the right is completely exposed.

Its a XD 40 service. Factory sights.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe an optical allusion.
take a straight piece of anything that fit in the rear sight and line it up with your front site, measure from each side of your slide.
Also the slide casting may have been off center a little bit.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Maybe an optical allusion.
take a straight piece of anything that fit in the rear sight and line it up with your front site, measure from each side of your slide.
Also the slide casting may have been off center a little bit.
That'll work, but you also might want to measure the gap on the right and left each side of the rear and front sight in the dovetail and determine if the left measurement is smaller than the right or vice versa. From the pic (I know what you mean about it being tought to tell) it doesn't look off to me and if it is...it isn't by much. Try takin some measurements and see what you can determine.

Also, what about the POA/POI issue? How does it shoot despite your observation that the rear sight appears to be left-of-center?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I recently purchased a new XD-9sc w/ factory installed Trijicon tritium night sights. The gun came with the front sight so loose that you could move it side-to-side in the dovetail with your finger. The rear sight was installed biased to the left as viewed from the shooting position. Springfield Armory authorized a return of the slide to fix the front sight, and, in twelve days' turnaround time, I received it with a solidly attached front sight, although they did not explain what the fix entailed, contrary to my request. Finally able to take it to the range, it definitely shot left, easily fixable by moving the rear sight to the right with a gunsmith's sight pusher. My point - although SA has good customer service, where the sight alignment and installation comes in, they may have some quality control isssues.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
When I got my first pistol with night sites I took it home to play with it and I noticed the same thing. The front sight wasnt perfectly within the notches.

So before ever shooting it I went back by the store and brought it to there attention. The shop owner who was a friend of my pops made a huge joke about it and asked me if I shot it.

He went on to laugh with his buddies and told me he hears it every day and hes been doing this for a while. Sure enough I went to shoot it an it was right on.

Moral of the story, shoot it first.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You have to shoot it. The marks are center of the rail but not center of how your pistol shoots. That's why they can be adjusted.

Shoot it and check back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did shoot it and it seems fine. My first shot was dead center of a 25 ft target. I almost packed it up and said im finished it was such an amazing shot. I didn't though I continued to shoot, and most of my shots were down and to the right. I think it might be a trigger pull issue now.

A little of this subject:

I was having problems with rounds feeding and I determined that to be an ammo issue. My gun doesn't like Magtech ammo.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
A little of this subject:

I was having problems with rounds feeding and I determined that to be an ammo issue. My gun doesn't like Magtech ammo.
I am pleased that you got your sight issue squared away and there was no problem with them being off-center to the left. Excellent shooting BTW.

As for the ammo issue...can you elaborate on which Magtech rounds you were having trouble with? I have run several hundred rounds of Magtech 230gr FMJ through a couple of different XD's and never had an issue, but their 200gr LSWC rounds don't feed worth a @#$%. It may be a "breaking in" issue with your pistol, so don't give up on the Magtech stuff just yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts