Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the 3.3" 45 version of the XDs and have the 7-rd mag for it. I put 50 rounds of Blazer brass through it without an issue, but with it being 230gr, it dropped like a rock. 3 different shooters, the same results. So first question, does anyone have a suggestion an ammo weight for carrying purposes?

Yesterday I put 100 rounds of 230gr Fiocchi ammo through it, but had about 3-5 failures to feed. I haven't cleaned the gun yet even after the initial 50 rounds. Second question: is this normal for this kind of ammo? What might be causing this issue?

Lastly, I put 5 rounds of 155gr frangible ammo through it without issue. It hit exactly where I wanted when standing 7-8yds away, so I'm thinking lighter weights are better?

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
My XDs .45 shoots to point of aim at 25' with 230gr fmj. In handguns, heavier bullets generally print higher since they are slower and spend more time in the barrel during recoil, so unless that 155gr frangible stuff is on the slow side I would expect it to impact higher than the 230gr stuff.

I'm going to guess that the rims are a bit thicker on the Fiocchi ammo, but in any case it isn't unusual for a gun to not like a particular brand of ammo, especially when dirty and during break-in. I'd clean and lube it and keep shooting and not worry too much until you've got 300-500 rounds through it.

·
Premium Member
8,308 Posts
My XDS-45 3.3 shoots 1/2 inch below POA at 25 feet. with 230 Gold Dot, my carry ammo.
Is shoots 3/4 inch below POA with 230 Federal White Box, my range ammo.
When I first got my XDS, I was shooting low left until I modified my grip a bit.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ye 230 gr hp. I don't care for frangible ammo. If you want something lighter federal hydra shock comes in 16gr low recoil. If you wanted a lighter bullet why not a 9mm

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
There are far far too many unanswered questions for an accurate answer...I will try to break it down...
1) Were all these shooters familiar with the XDS? I only ask because it is an entirely different platform that typically requires some effort and trigger-time to get acquainted with properly...Low is often a Shooter-Induced Issue, possibly Grip or Trigger Manipulation Related...
2) Did you try shooting from a rested position to eliminate the shooter from the equation? This will tell you an awful lot...

Carry Ammo weight isn't as important as function...there are but 4 on the list of preferred Carry Loads...The Big 4 they are known round these parts...
1)Federal HST
2)Speer Gold Dots
3)Winchester PDX
4)Remington Golden Sabre

Those in order of preference, in whatever weight you can find, are the most reputable offerings that should function in your weapon--it is up to you to test fire at least a magazine or two of whatever flavor you choose to ensure they cycle

@TSiWRX anything to add?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Side note. The speer gold dot also comes in 2 designs. Short barrel and regular.
the Short Barrel offerings do make less Muzzle Flash from a short barrel...

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
you did clean the factory grease off right, before you fired it and all.

That can be a huge issue, always.

I bought the 3.3" 45 version of the XDs and have the 7-rd mag for it. I put 50 rounds of Blazer brass through it without an issue, but with it being 230gr, it dropped like a rock. 3 different shooters, the same results. So first question, does anyone have a suggestion an ammo weight for carrying purposes?

Yesterday I put 100 rounds of 230gr Fiocchi ammo through it, but had about 3-5 failures to feed. I haven't cleaned the gun yet even after the initial 50 rounds. Second question: is this normal for this kind of ammo? What might be causing this issue?

Lastly, I put 5 rounds of 155gr frangible ammo through it without issue. It hit exactly where I wanted when standing 7-8yds away, so I'm thinking lighter weights are better?

Doesn't look like it.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Well, there's your sign and your problem. That grease will jam them up every time. Pretty sure it isn't great for the gun as well.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
You weren't exactly clear on your description of "drop like a rock". How far off was it, and what distance were you shooting? Next, clean the pistol. Probably has no bearing on the POI, but might be the cause of the jams. What sight picture are you using? 6 O'clock hold or center of target?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You weren't exactly clear on your description of "drop like a rock". How far off was it, and what distance were you shooting? Next, clean the pistol. Probably has no bearing on the POI, but might be the cause of the jams. What sight picture are you using? 6 O'clock hold or center of target?
On an approximately 12x12" plate, if any of us held center of target, the impact would be below the target. Distance was 7-10 yards as we moved around a bit. I could get it to hit if I moved the sight picture to just above the top of the target. Usually I like my sight picture to have the 3 dots lined up with my target touching the top.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Willing to bet if you bench rest this little pistol and take your time it will shoot to POA. Let's us know after you thoroughly clean and lube how it does with a rest.

Load, Shoot, Clean, Repeat...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
On an approximately 12x12" plate, if any of us held center of target, the impact would be below the target. Distance was 7-10 yards as we moved around a bit. I could get it to hit if I moved the sight picture to just above the top of the target. Usually I like my sight picture to have the 3 dots lined up with my target touching the top.
Try a combat sight picture. Line the dots up and put the front sight DOT right on target, so that the DOT is in the way of the target. And NOT use the sight post itself.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Those that shoot the XDS 45 pretty much answered the Questions
Review 1. clean the gun --really good and apply the lube correctly
2. firm hold, thumbs below the slide
3. Trigger control
As I have two of them and shoot my reloads through them, ( a lot) in every bullet weight and profile from GOLD DOTS to LSWC and neither gun has had a jam. Unless the gun is flawed, I believe any problems noted with the SA XDS45 most likely is the shooter. Once you get it down, I am sure you will have complete faith in your XDS Good Luck.
BTW, I believe both mine are the "target models" really accurate

·
Registered
837 Posts
Try a combat sight picture. Line the dots up and put the front sight DOT right on target, so that the DOT is in the way of the target. And NOT use the sight post itself.
This worked for me. I had the same problem with both my XD-S and my MOD2. Now I punch the center out of the target every time with the combat hold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts