Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search both here and google and wasn't able to find a clear answer. Maybe because I don't know exactly what to look for or how to describe it.

Anyways. My XD standard .40 has about 550 rounds through it. I'm the first owner, bought it about 4 months ago.

After breaking it down for cleaning a few times I noticed so flaking/ what looked like collision damage on the plastic upper receiver guide (not sure what its actually called).

I hope the picture is clear enough, though I can't figure out how to turn off the flash so its a little white.

It looks like the polymer/plastic part of the slide guide is going through a substantial amount of wear. The front part of the guide is noticeably discolored compared to the rest of the polymer and there is some slight flaking around the sides.

Almost like what you would expect to see if you took a steel hammer to a chunk of hard plastic.

I want to know if this is normal, should I be worried / will it stop?

I guess I'm a little worried because I didn't notice it before, but maybe it was always there but I just didn't notice because of the small details.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I realize what I'm describing could be very vague, so I outlined it in paint :)))

The "white" part is actual polymer flaking, or what looks like collision damage with metal parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put the gun back together and shoot it. There is nothing wrong with your piece my man....
Yeah, it shoots like a dream and I've had no problems so far, but the flaking really bothers me :))

Thanks for the positive reinforcement though.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Yeah, it shoots like a dream and I've had no problems so far, but the flaking really bothers me :))

Thanks for the positive reinforcement though.

It bothered me too, but 9 years later and almost 20K through the pistol later it is doing just fine.

Good to hear it shoots like a dream. I can tell you that you can expect that kind of performance for a very long time.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
That particular area is often due to hitting the rear guides with the back of the slide during re-assembly. It should not play a part during functional use. You could even take a light swipe with some fine 800 or finer grit emory paper and smooth off the corner - just back to original dimension - if the marking spreads to where you do not like it. Only a few light strokes and watch where you are contacting. It will still show a color difference to the factory finished areas. So do not keep sanding to get a match, just remove the loosened material. Do not sand on the sides, side edges or top where the rail guide functional fit to the slide occurs.

·
Registered
460 Posts
it's purely cosmetic, you probably just never noticed it while you were making the purchase, you'll probably never see it spread to other areas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks guys!!!

Good to know. As long as it won't affect the performance then I guess I won't be too worried about it. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts