Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO , GREETINGS FROM MONTENEGRO.

JUST BOUGHTED A XDM 9 , 4.5 MM , AND I LIKE IT BUT I DO HAVE SOME QUESTIONS

FIRST , THIS SPOT I SAW WHILE CLEABING THE BARELL.

IS THIS NORMAL , WHAT IS THIS?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and , if i polish a barrel , will it rust , or its stil protected.
If i want to do refinish , is it regular blueing or what?

·
Registered
659 Posts
The little dimple in your first pic is normal. General concensus is that it's a remnant of a hardness check during the manufacturing or inspection process.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great forum :)

Tell me , if i polish barrel , will it rust?
If you polish it it is more succeptible to rust if not maintained, yes. I wouldn’t do it. The gun is a duty weapon, meant for some serious abuse. I Had wear marks after first few mags but nothing changed drastically 12000 rounds later. Yes over 12000, I shoot a lot and I don’t have to pay for ammo .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
and tell me , this spot , dimple as you said , do you want to say that every XDM has that dimple or just mine?

·
Registered
622 Posts
and tell me , this spot , dimple as you said , do you want to say that every XDM has that dimple or just mine?
The dimple is a harness test done at factory. It's on many many firearm parts. Many many firearm companies do this to verify for proper metallurgy.

All firearms will have wear in the areas of working parts. Occasionally put some oil on it, shoot it and enjoy your pistol. No need to refinish it as it has been nitrided and is good to go. You are stressing for no reason.

·
Registered
7,060 Posts
Tell me , if i polish barrel , will it rust?
The Melonite finish used by Springfield Armory is a type of ferritic nitrocarburizing - it is, for lack of better words, "impregnated" into the metal itself, and part of its main job is as rust prevention.

Will polishing its external finish potentially cause oxidation issues?

will polishing a barrel hurt it?
Polished barrel - XDm 3.8 9mm - Easy!
Polishing the barrel and other parts?
Polished barrel maintenance
Polishing
Does anyone regret polishing the barrel?
Polished Barrel (pic)
Barrel marks
Polishing Your Barrel And Guide Rod.
Any reason to not polish barrel?

It seems that there's some variability in whether rusting is reported - and just how much is seen.

I think that the variable is the consistency of the Melonite treatment achieved at the factory (note that more than one post in those cited threads mentioned some XD/XDms from back in the day were not up-to-par with their treatments): this is not isolated to the XD platform, as we've seen this issue with other nitrocarbuirzed firearms as well (S&W M&Ps of a certain vintage, as a noted example).

If you do decide to polish the metal, I would simply put some modern rust-preventative on it, such as Birchwood Casey's "Barricade" or Bullfrog's Rustblocker/Rusthunter, and integrate that into your usual weapon-maintenance routine. That way, you won't have to worry about it. :)

And I will send pictures of barrel wear , just so that you can see is that normal to?
As others have noted already, yes, that is completely normal, and yes, it shows up very rapidly as you start to cycle the gun's slide (either with actual live-fire use or from simply manipulating the slide).

And yes, those areas typically will still be protected against rust by the Melonite treatment much like polishing the barrel would result in (unless, again, the initial factory treatment was not accomplished properly - in which case you should claim warranty service on the weapon).

The following thread of mine has a few close-in pictures (even though there's the Photobucket watermark on the pix :rolleyes:) of my 4.5-inch XDm9 from back when it hit ~30,000 live-fire rounds. I don't really spend much time maintaining my range/training weapons, and you can see the amount of wear on the barrel and barrel hood:

"New" XDm9 from Cleveland - POA/POI & magazine questions

You can also see wear spots at the muzzle and on the slide-lock, none of which have rusted (the orange-appearing areas on the muzzle, near the front sight post in the top-down picture is dust/dirt impacted into that area).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts