Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot maybe close to 2,300-2,500 rounds through my XD9sc. I've noticed the last few times I've been to the range the trigger is very light compared to what it used to be. I'm not necessarily complaining... it feels good. It is a very light, easy, smooth pull on it. I figured it was just how it feels after it breaks in but the difference between my XD9sc and my XDm 40 3.8 compact is night and day. Now I only have about a quarter of the rounds in my XDM so the trigger on it may turn out like my XD9sc eventually but I'm surprised at just how different they are. When I got my XDm they weren't too far off (the XDm was just slightly tighter) but now it is a night and day world of difference.

I'm just wondering... is this the result of the trigger breaking in or should I be concerned that it has gotten so light? I don't have a way to test it but I would have to say if the XDm is pulling at 5-7 pounds (which I think is what it is listed at)... my XD9sc has to be pulling at 3 to 4 pounds without any mods what-so-ever. I just want to make sure that is normal after 2 or 3,000 rounds or if maybe I should be concerned about it getting too light on it's own.

Thanks,

-br0ck

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yes, that is normal. And is a result of wearing in. Enjoy

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
yea XD triggers get better and better over time. Congrats, sounds like you've broken it in pretty good.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
While it would be normal for the trigger pull to lighten and smooth out, if you find that you are getting light primer strikes or slow resets, then one or more of the springs can be showing signs of nearing end of useful life. Springs usually show an initial drop in weight of around 5% in the first hundred or so cycles. This is normally followed by a long useful life with very little change in weight (assuming the spring is being used within the appropriate range). Barring an ultimate failure ( breakage) at the end of the useful life cycle there is a somewhat rapid decline to less than reliable function strength. Not broken or fully worn out, but just getting close to a time for a change. Accompanying the spring life cycles, the other internal parts of the pistol or other mechanism accrue some smoothing wear while still fully within functional tolerances that can contribute to the overall feel. For the real low investment cost, it is never a bad idea to keep a spare set of springs on-hand. Either stock or aftermarket.
I have the stock springs stored as spares. Currently running a combo of PRP trigger kit and Canyon Creek lighter weight springs and have an extra set of slightly different weights. That way you can mix, test and match (within reason) to get the feel that is best for you and have a depth of coverage of springs that will all work in a pinch.

edit: not trying to scare you about having a worn out spring - the originals are usually good for many times your current usage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts