Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was practicing "misfire" drills last weekend by intentionally placing A-zoom snap caps along with live rounds (FMJ's). i noticed that at times, when my gun goes click on a snap cap, i could just rack the slide and eject the snap cap. if this happens and i rack the slide again, the next live round is ejected too.

but more often, when my gun goes "click" on a snap cap, i try to rack the slide to eject it but the slide would only go about half way through and i could not eject the round. to eject it, i would then need to drop the mag then rack the slide to eject the snap cap.

i am just worried about the inconsistent behavior of this gun in this scenario (about 2 months old and 400 or so live rounds through it). or is this normal and i should get used to it?

i'm asking coz, i should know how i would handle a dud round in real life battle scenario.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
That is not normal. You should call springfield to more information or and repair. My snap caps eject normally and a new live round goes into the chamber.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Are the base rims of the snapcaps chewed up from the extractor, or have any rough burrs around the edges? Sounds like the back of the snap is catching on the mouth of the next round. Right where the case would be crimped to the bullet. Also check for bent feed lips on the mag. The top round may be too high.
Try to look into the slide opening while the travel is blocked to see where the base of the snap cap is located and what it is catching against. See if the top round is properly positioned in the mag. If you do get the cap to eject after a stoppage, remove and examine the top round for scratches or damage.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well on closer inspection, yes, the edges of the snap caps is indeed a little rough and it does indeed look like its catching the round under it.

the live rounds i could eject just fine by racking the slide, except when i've got the mag full, like 10+1 or 13+1 on my extended mag. if i try to rack the slide on full, same thing happens with snap caps on. after taking out one round though, all is ok.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
When the pistol slide cycles from a fired cartridge, rather than hand cycled, the movement will be much faster and more forceful. You should not be having any problems while firing the pistol normally. The ejected empty case should ride over any small nick or notch point on the top round (as long as they are not LSWC rounds. For smoother hand cycling, wipe your live ammo down with a silicone gun cloth. For the snap caps, the rims can usually be smoothed for a few times before unusable. A fine file to take any burrs down to the rim level and a few wipes with maybe 400 grit emory paper or sand paper to smooth the sharpness off the edges. As long as it only happens with slow hand cycling, the problem is probably with the ammo. Oxidized or dirty cases / dented rounds can cause a lot of drag between cartridges when under pressure of the mag spring.
If it happens with any live commercial ammunition during actual firing and it is not brand specific, get someone to examine and fix any problem that might be with the pistol (not ammo related) or check and fix yourself if you have the skill. If it occurs with firing reloads, most likely over expanded case mouth or improperly crimped rounds, or even a chewed rim on a case cycled too many times.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Suggestion, if you are not fully depressing the palm safety while racking the round out, the slide will only go back part way. Make sure you are fully depressing the palm safety.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
I think it's either the grip safety or you're not "racking" the slide fast enough. If you do it slowly the extractor will pull it but the ejector won't kick it out, leaving it in between the chamber and breech face, on top of the magazine. This should cause the pistol to malfunction by either not feeding, stove-piping or double feeding a live round with an empty case.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's either the grip safety or you're not "racking" the slide fast enough. If you do it slowly the extractor will pull it but the ejector won't kick it out, leaving it in between the chamber and breech face, on top of the magazine. This should cause the pistol to malfunction by either not feeding, stove-piping or double feeding a live round with an empty case.
BRILLIANT idea man! this seemed to have fixed this problem with live rounds. no more sticking or stopping. i just needed to do rack the slide more vigorously. (smacking the forehead and muttering [email protected]@mn NEWB!) :D

the snap caps however is still a mixed bag. maybe because the bottom part of my snap caps is all worn out and no longer smooth.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i was practicing "misfire" drills last weekend by intentionally placing A-zoom snap caps along with live rounds (FMJ's). i noticed that at times, when my gun goes click on a snap cap, i could just rack the slide and eject the snap cap. if this happens and i rack the slide again, the next live round is ejected too.

but more often, when my gun goes "click" on a snap cap, i try to rack the slide to eject it but the slide would only go about half way through and i could not eject the round. to eject it, i would then need to drop the mag then rack the slide to eject the snap cap.
I had the same exact issue; I bought some snap-caps (Carlsons) for practicing both dry fire and "dud" drills and found they hang up just as you described. The rims are getting chewed up on these snap caps, which sort of concerns me about damaging my gun, so now I only half-rack to dry fire with these snap caps without extratcting/ejecting - resets the firing pin just fine. I know the aluminum of the snap caps is softer than my xd parts, but it still bugs me to have burrs running through there and I'd rather not have the additional wear on my gun. I did notice that faster "racking" would allow these snap caps to eject more frequently, but still is inconsistent. I think this is a snap cap problem, since I have never had a failure to extract/eject with live rounds (factory).

For "dud" drills, I came across the dummy rounds at ST Action Pro, which use actual brass/nickel cases and they feed, extract, eject perfectly. These are not snap caps which cushion the firing pin, so should not be used for extensive dry fire practice.

This use of two types of dummy rounds for two different purposes seems to work OK for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts