Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a XDS 45, 4" for CC and I'm trying to find appropriate accessories for it. So let's go in order of precedence:
What's the best IWB for the 4" XDS? I know this is an opinionated answer, but I just want to find what will be best for concealment and ease of use. I've seen the direct clips but not sure if this is wise, there is also the push draw holster. I don't need anything fancy, I'm utilitarian!
Next, with some difficulty, I can't seem to pin down a decent, inexpensive taclite that the mini picitiny mount will take, I have found a few but not convinced on any of them as no reviews have been from and XDS user.
Last, does anyone make an extended mag for the XDS? Something closer to 10 would be just fine, since it is a single stack.

I'll be in the MI UP most of this summer camping and the lite and exmag would be preferable in case something other then a black fly decides to wake me up. I swear that I know how to find stuff, but this design is just so odd that it seems no one really has anything available. I did just purchase the pistol a few days ago so I've had limited time to do any real searching.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
If you like IWB hybrid holsters, I like Hidden Hybrid Holsters | Made in the USA | Concealed Carry Holsters | Gun Holsters - nice upgrade from either Alien Gear or Crossbreed and they have options for several weapon-mounted lights. I decided on the Viridian CL5 series (can be had with light only, light + red laser or light + green laser). You can set the unit to several different modes, light on/off/strobe and laser on/off/strobe and it will remember your setting. I ended up with the light + red laser (smooth-talking salesman, I was intending to just get the light). It just looks good (to me) mounted on the XDs - not big and bulky, and doesn't stick out past the muzzle. It also has the feature where a holster designed for it can be made to turn the light off when holstered and automatically turn it back on when you draw. And yes, Hidden Hybrid Holsters can be made to support that feature (I had mine made that way and it works great).

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just added a XDS 45, 4" for CC and I'm trying to find appropriate accessories for it. So let's go in order of precedence:
What's the best IWB for the 4" XDS? I know this is an opinionated answer, but I just want to find what will be best for concealment and ease of use. I've seen the direct clips but not sure if this is wise, there is also the push draw holster. I don't need anything fancy, I'm utilitarian!
Next, with some difficulty, I can't seem to pin down a decent, inexpensive taclite that the mini picitiny mount will take, I have found a few but not convinced on any of them as no reviews have been from and XDS user.
Last, does anyone make an extended mag for the XDS? Something closer to 10 would be just fine, since it is a single stack.

I'll be in the MI UP most of this summer camping and the lite and exmag would be preferable in case something other then a black fly decides to wake me up. I swear that I know how to find stuff, but this design is just so odd that it seems no one really has anything available. I did just purchase the pistol a few days ago so I've had limited time to do any real searching.
Your questions, and my response:
  1. What's the best IWB for the 4" XDS?
    1. As others have said, "best" is entirely subjective, and you may need to research & possibly order several holsters until you find exactly what you're looking for (or at least are willing to live with).
    2. The fact that you want to mount a tactical light on your XDs drastically narrows the number of holster manufacturers that will be able to accommodate your request. That being said, I was able to Google an answer in just a few seconds. Pitbull Tactical can make you a custom holster designed for one of seven different common tactical lights (Note: See item 2 below). Pitbull Tactical only lists 3.3" barrel XDs - but the website clearly states that you should contact them if you don't see exactly what you're looking for. Since you have a 4", that will necessitate a call. Google gave me five other holster makers I could check out for IWB holsters accommodating tactical lights - but since I'm not the one looking for a holster, I'll leave it to you to do your own research.
  2. I can't seem to pin down a decent, inexpensive taclite that the mini picitiny mount will take
    1. Your request brings two conflicting criteria into play: inexpensive and decent - Anything you find that's inexpensive is most likely a knockoff of a more reputable brand (like SureFire or Streamlight), or an untested design that has low volume sales, so holster manufacturers will not have a mold form to make your holster.
    2. If an X300/X300 Ultra or one of the Streamlights (TLR-1, TLR-2, TLR-3, etc.) are not to your taste, then good luck with your search & let us know what you settled on. There are combination laser/tac lights as well (Viridian, Crimson Trace, etc.), but their white light output is much less than a dedicated tactical light.
    3. There are plenty of written and YouTube reviews of the above mentioned tactical lights to help you decide, if you are willing to consider a more expensive option.
  3. does anyone make an extended mag for the XDS?
    1. To my knowledge, there are no 10-round or larger magazines for .45 ACP XDs available from Springfield Armory or other authorized sources. However, the XDs magazine is patterned after the Colt 1911 magazine. I've been told that the 1911 magazines will work, with some modification to place the catch for the magazine release in the correct location. A quick search for extended 1911 magazines gave me this link for a 15-round single stack magazine (the same site also sells 10-round and 8-round versions). I've never purchased from the site, and never tried using an modified 1911 magazine in my XDs 3.3" .45 ACP. If you decide to go this route, and the magazine(s) are intended as backups for self defense as well as target practice, I would test them extensively to verify reliability. Typically, the last few rounds can be problematic in extended mags. Again, if you decide to go this route, it would be great if you posted back what your experience was.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts