Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to hand guns ( Im an AR guy myself) so please bare with me. I have noticed that after I shoot 50 rnds or so my XD40 has issues chambering a round after reloading. It looks as if the round gets stuck on the feed ramp of the barrel. This has happened a number of times and I have no idea what the heck is going on. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks,
Noob

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
noobshooter said:
I am new to hand guns ( Im an AR guy myself) so please bare with me. I have noticed that after I shoot 50 rnds or so my XD40 has issues chambering a round after reloading. It looks as if the round gets stuck on the feed ramp of the barrel. This has happened a number of times and I have no idea what the heck is going on. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks,
Noob
This can be caused by any number of reasons. Magazines, feed ramp, bullet type. What ammo were you shooting, and does it happen only when you use that type?

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Indoors or outdoors?
Many of the .40s seem to need a polished feedramp to help, but I could see where magazine lip angles may help here. If you are running it pretty dry try more lube on the front rails.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That same thing happens to mine when I use Remmington target ammo. Best I can tell it has to do with the casing more than the bullet.

Great choice on picking the XD40. I just got mine in December. My fist gun ever at age 31. I can't believe I waited this long!

Chris Cahill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Polish your feed ramp to a high shine with a dremel, or jewlers rouge, etc. Search the old posts about this. It seems to be common with the XD40's, and mine had a similar issue, but it would only do it when i was racking the slide and chambering a round, and not all the time. A little polishing fixed it for me.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Had the same problem with reloads I polished the feed ramp, chamber and breach face gone through over 900 rounds with out a problem. Just used 1500 grit sand paper very little pressure then 000 steel wool. Just to a polish.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shoot both in & outdoor, and usually use UMC 180gr ammo. I will try polishing the feed ramp this week and see how she works. I thought it was either the feed ramp or possibly a weak spring. Truthfully, I wish it was the spring. Then I would have an excuse to get a new 22# spring:D Ol-well, now I have an excuse to get a new Dremel :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
first get a 22# spring it will be worth it.. second as has been said polish your feed ramp but also fire you gun more. when i first got my 40 i had a really hard time racking the slide ,and the ammo would always get stuck on the feed ramp. but now after 500+ rounds and a new spring it is much easier.. I think you may just need to break in your gun..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts