Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of a mag(happened 3 times now in only 500 rnds), the slide stays back. I pull the gun down to see that the empty case is in the barrel and a fresh round is jammed underneith. I pull the magazine and rack the slide completely to send the empty case home, dryfire, and then rack again to exit the empty case.

9 sc btw

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wouldn't say it's a failure to fire, which is what I take FTF to stand for. I would call it a Failure to eject, FTE, as the spent casing was still in the chamber.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I was a Failure to eject. You can't feed a new round if there is still a spent case that has not been ejected so when you get a Failure to eject of course you will also get a failure to feed.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
agalindo said:
I was a Failure to eject. You can't feed a new round if there is still a spent case that has not been ejected so when you get a Failure to eject of course you will also get a failure to feed.
And then if you can't fire that new round (that you had a hard time feeding because of the failure to eject), then you would have a misfire...sorta....ok. Not really. I'm just being silly now. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
therooster said:
actually its none of the above...

what you had happen is a "double feed".

if it keeps happening check your extractor.
I would think a double feed would be when the weapon tries to feed two live rounds at the same time (or does that go against the laws of physics.) Oh, now were both being silly. :D

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
If the empty case is still in the chamber then it's FTE Failure To Extract. That's what I was told by some other board members. Failure To Eject is when the case is stuck outside the chamber like a stovepipe. What ammo are you using?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yea might be the extractor. I had heard that wolf ammo especially the older stuff would get stuck in the chamber. I've never had problems with WWB never used Blazer but never heard anybody having this problem. I have heard some XD's had trouble with weak extractors.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Type 1 malfunction: slide in battery, gun doesn't fire. Might be caused by a failure to feed (slide did not pick up a round and carry it into the chamber, perhaps because magazine is not seated) or a failure to fire--a misfire. Solution: Tap, Rack, Assess (or Fire)

Type 2 malfunction: slide not in battery because a case is stuck in the ejection port, often called a stovepipe. Caused by a failure to completely eject, perhaps due to limpwristing. Solution: wipe the case out of the ejection port with your hand, Tap, Rack, Assess.

Type 3 malfunction: Slide not in battery. Empty case in the chamber, slide trying to feed a new round into the chamber occupied by the empty case. Also known as a double feed. Cause: failure to eject. Solution: Lock the slide, eject the magazine, work the slide 3-4 times, reload with a new magazine, Tap, Rack, Assess.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
agalindo said:
Yea might be the extractor. I had heard that wolf ammo especially the older stuff would get stuck in the chamber. I've never had problems with WWB never used Blazer but never heard anybody having this problem. I have heard some XD's had trouble with weak extractors.
'

Actualy I have had this problem with WWB quite a lot. It seems that WWB brass does not have a proper rim for the extractor to catch. It can be fixed by having work done on your extractor. I never had any problems with Wolf, it is my ammo of choice. Ican't use Wolf now as my local range banned it, they are too lazy to run a magnet over the empties at the end of the day to sort out the steel cases from the brass. I will never touch Blazer again in my life, the stuff is DANGEROUS!!! I bought some Blazer once and within the same box bullets were seated at different heights and one was seated upside down. USE BLAZER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
Type 1 malfunction: slide in battery, gun doesn't fire. Might be caused by a failure to feed (slide did not pick up a round and carry it into the chamber, perhaps because magazine is not seated) or a failure to fire--a misfire. Solution: Tap, Rack, Assess (or Fire)

Type 2 malfunction: slide not in battery because a case is stuck in the ejection port, often called a stovepipe. Caused by a failure to completely eject, perhaps due to limpwristing. Solution: wipe the case out of the ejection port with your hand, Tap, Rack, Assess.

Type 3 malfunction: Slide not in battery. Empty case in the chamber, slide trying to feed a new round into the chamber occupied by the empty case. Also known as a double feed. Cause: failure to eject. Solution: Lock the slide, eject the magazine, work the slide 3-4 times, reload with a new magazine, Tap, Rack, Assess.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.
Just would like to note if you have type 2 Don't attempt to remove buy dropping the slide.This will surely brake your extracter! {herd it from the man Rich from canyon creek}

·
Registered
380 Posts
It doesn't matter what the technical term is...just that he had this problem and needs help.

Extractor tension?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts