Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 3 days since I pick it up from DROS. I just went to the range yesterday and it was my first time shooting a pistol, so I can't comment on if it was my aim or the pistol that was bad. I'm guessing my aim.

I notice this damage before I went to the range to test it out.
I'm wondering if these damages are bad are normal from over 600 round no less than 1000 rounds of 9mm.

It looks like its been chewed.

It look like its been chipped.

Not too bad but its a little damaged.

Are all this normal or something that must be replace because it affects point of impact?

Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance XDTalk Community

·
Registered
825 Posts
Something's not right there.

You bought this weapon new and you're the only one to have used/stripped it?

I'd be sending it off to Springfield to take advantage of that lifetime warranty.

(I assume that you are re-assembling the pistol correctly?)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something's not right there.

You bought this weapon new and you're the only one to have used/stripped it?

I'd be sending it off to Springfield to take advantage of that lifetime warranty.

(I assume that you are re-assembling the pistol correctly?)
Ya I am. I not sure about the other owner.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have over a thousand rounds in my first xd and it looks nothing like that. Did you buy it used or did you out all rounds through it? If you bought it used find out what the dealer says, otherwise you could contact SA.

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
Did you re-assemble it and leave a squirrel in there?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, in my not-so-expert opinion I would say that gouged out metal is probably not a good thing nor is it normal, especially for a low round count like that. You bought it used I assume? Did you FULLY inspect it before you paid for it? I would assume you didnt give it THAT great of an inspection if any at all, especially since the damage is in very visible areas.

Just think of it this way...a gun, especially the slide is supposed to work smoothly. If you gouge out some metal or rough it up a bunch it probably will not work so smoothly anymore. I am looking at your pics and wondering if it was the barrel that was somehow gouging out the section between the slide rails, but the barrel is supposed to be locked in place. :confused: I believe that Springfield's warranty follows the gun regardless of the owner (if you bought it used). But to me it is hard to say whether this damage was caused by neglect or not.

I'd love to hear other opinions on this too. Definitely not normal though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O no I didn't leave a squirrel in there. Yes I did buy it used. I'm going to contact SA if they can't do anything about it, I'm going to contact the previous owner.

BTW. Does this mess up the accuracy of the firearms?

·
Registered
9 Posts
None of that is normal wear for such a low round count, the spring assembly looks like it was chewed up as well as the lower, barrel, etc.

I would not fire it, look at the mating surfaces where things come together for other damage and take it to a smith and speak to Springfield before sending it back.

IMHO if a weapon shows visible signs of distress its like having oil leaking from under the car – an indication that something is or was or has been wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
You noticed it before you went to the range, but not before you purchased it? Did you examine the pistol much when you purchased it, or did you just accept it as-is?

I think sending it off to Springfield is a Must. You accepted the gun, defects or not, so I don't think you have much recourse against your dealer. Who did you buy it from, anyway?

·
Registered
246 Posts
O no I didn't leave a squirrel in there. Yes I did buy it used. I'm going to contact SA if they can't do anything about it, I'm going to contact the previous owner.

It may mess up accuracy but it would be hard to say how much. You should assemble it and rack the slide with your hand and see how smooth it is or if you hear grinding sounds. And you said it was your first time shooting a pistol. I would be worrying more about fundamentals first and accuracy later. Accuracy comes after you master everything else :cool:

Springfield DOES honor the warranty for the life of the gun, no matter the owner...not sure about it if they think it was neglected though.

I am a little surprised that you noticed it BEFORE going to the range but went anyways. Any time you see damage like that, if you dont know what is going on, always ask a gunsmith BEFORE firing it.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts

Accuracy? No. Safety? Maybe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You noticed it before you went to the range, but not before you purchased it? Did you examine the pistol much when you purchased it, or did you just accept it as-is?

I think sending it off to Springfield is a Must. You accepted the gun, defects or not, so I don't think you have much recourse against your dealer. Who did you buy it from, anyway?

Well I'm speaking on behalf of my brother. I'm only 20 so I'm almost there in the pistol world. He PPT locally from a Calgun member. I was not there with him to inspect it and it was his first firearm purchase. It was for 400 cash if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It may mess up accuracy but it would be hard to say how much. You should assemble it and rack the slide with your hand and see how smooth it is or if you hear grinding sounds. And you said it was your first time shooting a pistol. I would be worrying more about fundamentals first and accuracy later. Accuracy comes after you master everything else :cool:

Springfield DOES honor the warranty for the life of the gun, no matter the owner...not sure about it if they think it was neglected though.

I am a little surprised that you noticed it BEFORE going to the range but went anyways. Any time you see damage like that, if you dont know what is going on, always ask a gunsmith BEFORE firing it.

I'm really skeptical on how this damage can be cause. Its like you must slide the slide forward, lower the bbl, and slam the slide back with a hammer hitting the muzzle. I'm going to go to a indoor range with a rest and see if accuracy is an issue. On his first range trip, he had a FTE on his 2nd round. and other than that he said it went fine, but blames his first time shooting on the accuracy issue, since my cousin's gf shot remarkable groupings with 7 rounds on her first pistol shooting.

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Even if it did not effect function of the weapon, I would still send it into springfield. no point of having it like that when they offer lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm really skeptical on how this damage can be cause. Its like you must slide the slide forward, lower the bbl, and slam the slide back with a hammer hitting the muzzle. I'm going to go to a indoor range with a rest and see if accuracy is an issue. On his first range trip, he had a FTE on his 2nd round. and other than that he said it went fine, but blames his first time shooting on the accuracy issue, since my cousin's gf shot remarkable groupings with 7 rounds on her first pistol shooting.
I would think that shooting it more would damage it more. It would probably better to let a gunsmith or Springfield play the detective on this one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OMFGG! It is Christmas!

Well Springfield spent back the XD and it had its locking block, barrel,,,, and recoil assembly replaced. Pretty much brand new now... THANK YOU SO MUCH SPRINGFIELD! To top it off, my hogue grip came and my AMP M6 Light came too. Its beauty... Pics soon.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Nice speedy T/A from SA. Good to hear.

Now you have to get a few hundred rounds through it to bed in those new parts. ;)

Enjoy your rejuvenated XD :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am glad you had the problem taken care of.
I have heard of Xds having slide lock up problems when people attempt to rack the slide without fully depressing the grip safety, and wether that damage was caused by doing that. I don't know first hand but I have seen it posted on other forums.
Anyway, Springfield came through for you ! All is good !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts